• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Every major eSports venue in the world, from CS:GO to LoL and DoTA allow, nay require, players to use their own keyboards, mice, and headsets. I'm going to copy PEEFSmash's comments from reddit here to put a very succinct reason why this is a silly idea:

I'm going to focus on the mouse/keyobard issue because this is a -massive- issue for so many reasons, and I'm assuming the ruleset issues will be fixed by community pressure very soon. This is completely unprecedented in modern esports. Let's start with the obvious: some players have used a particular mouse their entire gaming history. These mice have not only a particular feel but a particular button functionality. Mine is a 5 button mouse for example, and I have all 5 and my scroll wheel bound to certain actions in game. These actions become instinct. To give a mouse to players the day of the tournament without these functionalities is begging for players not to play well, which defeats the whole purpose. The suggestion "NOT TO RELY ON 3RD PARTY ACCESSORIES" is so damn silly...what am I supposed to do, communicate with my machine via telekinesis?
So, let's talk about another huge reason why esports events allow (no, actually, require) you to bring your own accessories. Sponsorships! The esports industry is driven by sponsors and their support of players for the exposure and brand association with winners. If MWO wants to have any esports scene at all, it has to allow sponsors to put their equipment in the hands of the competititors. Some might say "oh you're crazy if you think ppl will sponsor MWO" actually I'm not. I work in this exact industry helping players connect with sponsors, negotiate terms, etc in bigger games, so I know these people, and there ARE a few smaller and midlevel organizations that are interested in sponsoring an MWO team. Of course, this kind of sponsorship would greatly boost our esports potential, but it is absolutely and completely predicated on the ability for those sponsored players to play with particular sponsored gear. This ruleset as currently written eliminates the possibility of sponsorships outright, I can personally guarantee that.
I'm not sure what theyre worried about regarding the mice...if they need to wipe the settings beforehand, if they need to check them for whatever they want to check them for, fine. However, the usage of one's own mouse/keyboard (or the usage of a mouse/keyboard given to the player by a sponsor) is absolutely and 100% necessary for too many important reasons.

#2 deathlord

• PipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:42 PM

Banning competitor choice of input devices is so far beyond the pale that one has to assume it's a decoy issue. That is to say that PGI doesn't actually intend to defend the choice and will capitulate on this specific issue easily, in order to score free PR points by falsely demonstrating a willingness to compromise.

The restriction is so completely incomprehensible and indefensible that no other explanation is reasonable.

Edited by deathlord, 06 April 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#3 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I sincerely hope so. I'm trying to push this topic to the attention of PGI, specifically Paul and Russ, on the off chance that they are actually serious.

#4 deathlord

• PipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

Of course it needs to be protested vigorously. But they also need to be called out on these sketchy anti-player behaviors.

#5 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

JUST to be 'the devils advocate"

OK, so, why would you NOT want to let players use there 'own' if your using your companies systems for the actual event?

simple, as i sit here lookiing at my own set up,,,

I have a REDRAGON/MamMoth gaming mouse, a Razer Tatarus (left side extension keyboard/thumb stick) , so never mind the headset/mics as well thats 2x 3rd party software/drivers that need to be installed on the companies systems,, if that dosent explain why they'd not want to use them,,
would YOU let Joe Blow off the street start installing programs onto the many computer systems of your company that your responsible for?

NOT that i agree with not letting gamers use there own gear/setups, just saying i can see from a security/system integrity point of view why they wouldn't, and the logistics of having staff to check the gear and software and do the install and security/virus checks is a big issue. (yes bois n gurls I do have decades of convention exp. even if i am a grumpy ol phart)

(truly, not using your own set up, nightmare,)

#6 deathlord

• PipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

EVERY established e-sport game and event handles user-supplied peripherals without incident. It's simply a non-issue.

#7 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

View PostYakkSlapper, on 06 April 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

JUST to be 'the devils advocate"

OK, so, why would you NOT want to let players use there 'own' if your using your companies systems for the actual event?

simple, as i sit here lookiing at my own set up,,,

I have a REDRAGON/MamMoth gaming mouse, a Razer Tatarus (left side extension keyboard/thumb stick) , so never mind the headset/mics as well thats 2x 3rd party software/drivers that need to be installed on the companies systems,, if that dosent explain why they'd not want to use them,,
would YOU let Joe Blow off the street start installing programs onto the many computer systems of your company that your responsible for?

NOT that i agree with not letting gamers use there own gear/setups, just saying i can see from a security/system integrity point of view why they wouldn't, and the logistics of having staff to check the gear and software and do the install and security/virus checks is a big issue. (yes bois n gurls I do have decades of convention exp. even if i am a grumpy ol phart)

(truly, not using your own set up, nightmare,)

Sure, that is a point and if I look at that spyware that this razer synapse is that I had to swallow for the ouroboros I can fully understand that.

On the other hand, there are pretty easy ways to reset a computer to a given state. You just set the pc and game up make a snapshot with whatever software/hardware you want. Whatever the player does is unimportant as you can reset with a reboot.

And I doubt anyone would let a player unattended with a tournament machine.

How is this driver "problem" solved in other games? I'd expect that the player tells the organizer what he brings and those people ready the machines up with software and drivers, not the players at all.

#8 Blhurr

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

It's a bit like making all downhill olympic skiers wear the same boots.

#9 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:11 AM

View PostBlhurr, on 07 April 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

It's a bit like making all downhill olympic skiers wear the same boots.

View PostTheIronButcher, on 07 April 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

Yeah it will be complete crap not letting players use their own hardware, even in the first Mechwarrior Tournament in 1999 Microsoft hooked up your hardware and loaded your profiles if you brought them. We did however have to build out our mechs in training. Forcing people to play a game like that is not a championship.Its like going to war and telling the other country you can fight but only if you dont bring any guns.

Um... you do know that this ruling has already been reverted before you made these posts dont you?
All peripherals are permitted for the finals, you just need to submit them for vetting before the match and specialized drivers (in the case that windows does not have them pre-installed) are only permitted on a case by case basis and only if they have been communicated early enough for them to be checked by the organizers before they are installed (by the organizers) for the matches.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 07 April 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#10 TheIronButcher

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFoley Al.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:29 AM

Nope missed that Lol so thats great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users