Question On Medusa

39 replies to this topic

#21 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

View PostTrainee, on 06 April 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

So the consensus is; you can only get the Hero omni arms if you purchase the hero. You can move them around to other variants, but can only have the original set. And if you sell them by mistake, you can't purchase them back. Short of deleting your Hero, and buying another one.

Sound about right?

Except you may not even be able to use the omnipods on other mechs if its anything like Scarecrow says the Nova loyalty mech behaves.

#22 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 06 April 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

That would be the most sensible option, but I've not heard any official word from PGI

JESUS, MARY, and JOSEPH, would YOU please go explain that to the folks on Outreach? They don't listen to me. They read right past that whole nothing-official-and-this-IS-PGI-we're-talking-about part.

Herding newbs in solo CW is easier than getting a simple f***ing point across to some folks...

And thank you for not simply ASSUMING that it will all be like it SHOULD, or like you THINK it will, but for actually considering that it HAS NOT been stated officially and it CAN STILL get screwed-up by the powers that be.

Again. I've been unable to make that point clear to anyone. Maybe I suck at English. Maybe I'm a jerk. Not sure. Could you, though, hook a brother up, and maybe go talk some sense to some people for me?

I'll send cookies.

#23 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:54 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 06 April 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

Except you may not even be able to use the omnipods on other mechs if its anything like Scarecrow says the Nova loyalty mech behaves.

You can use the Nova-D pods like any other omnipod. However, you can not buy more than the one set you got and they are only visible in the Mechlab if they are not equipped. I just mounted them on a Nova-Prime without any problems.

I guess the hero pods will work the same way.

Edited by Baelfire, 07 April 2016 - 05:56 AM.

#24 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,785 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

View Post1453 R, on 06 April 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

If Hero 'Mechs were available for C-bills, nobody would ever buy another Hero 'Mech ever again.

This is kinda false, after all, people buy the collector's edition of these packs which gives you an identical variant with a special paint scheme and c-bill boost as well.

The only reason I even got the heroes I did is because one of them might be powerful some day (like the Oxide) and I don't want to miss out, that's a bad problem to have in any game. Part of the reason many heroes were ever pay-2-lose were most likely because they were afraid of a certain hero being too powerful (like the 6M Oxide of yore).

That said, I'm not really sure why people are clinging to this hero like they are, arms are often the most fragile part next to legs on light mechs, so having firepower there is often a detriment (there are always exceptions though).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 07 April 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#25 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostBaelfire, on 07 April 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

You can use the Nova-D pods like any other omnipod. However, you can not buy more than the one set you got and they are only visible in the Mechlab if they are not equipped. I just mounted them on a Nova-Prime without any problems.

As long as you have the original set that came with the mech, yes.

In effect, when you get any of the non-c-bill omnis, you only ever get access to that ONE set of special pods. You cannot buy any more of the special set, even for the special mech... and even if you have none of that omni pod anywhere in your inventory (free or installed). If you remove them and delete them at any point you're SOL. PGI doesn't have the code in place for the game to know which equipment your account is authorized to have vs what you actually have.

Which is, of course, ********.

#26 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 06 April 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

If you sell it...

There's your problem right there. Why would you do that?

Loyalty omnipods cannot be purchased. They can be swapped around like any other pod, but they cannot be purchased. Which makes complete sense because you were given the Mech as a loyalty reward. No part of it can be purchased, it was a gift. If you're stupid and sell part (or all) of it, you're SOL.

This isn't a coding problem on PGI's part, it's a user error problem on the player's part.

Edited by Roadkill, 07 April 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#27 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they CLARIFIED this information before so graciously putting up the pre-order page and taking money? I'm sure there are already people who've pre-ordered the Hero mech and not thought about this.

These are the scenarios, all equally crappy:

-(1) Russ has certainly already considered this, and chooses not to tell the community how it will work. It's the first hero omnimech, we can all see that, we want to know how the damn thing's gonna work.

-(2) They actually don't yet have any idea or decision made on how to handle Hero Omnipods. This is further backed up by how no one from PGI has commented on this thread yet, and how they haven't put anything on the Pre-Order page about it. I guess they're just hoping only a few of us notice. (This seems the most plausible)

-(3) They totally forgot about having to handle this in some way, which is just sad.

Now let's get to real talk:

Being able to swap in those 3x Energy Arms on other Variants won't offer much of an advantage. If you want to talk about actual viable builds: at max (without hero pods) you can still get 9 energy mounts on the Viper. Maybe 6 to 7 if you're building a deadside mech with a shield side. Adding those two more energy points isn't going to do your heat management any favors. The only advantage you'll get is being able to wave two more arm lasers around, but that also comes at the cost of having more weapons in your arms, which can be stripped off much easier than a torso.

My guess is that the Hero OmniMech will basically be treated as a Battlemech, no swapping pods at all.

Edited by xeromynd, 07 April 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#28 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

What I think is funny, is I am buying the hero and am going to remove its arm and shoulder omni pods for the Prime right arm, and A side torsos. I guess those omni-pods I'm taking off are super P2W huh?

#29 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 April 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

My guess is that the Hero OmniMech will basically be treated as a Battlemech, no swapping pods at all.

Reasonable theory, but I doubt it. If it were being treated as a Battlemech, it'd have a max engine rating on the info page because you'd be able to swap out its engine.

That would actually be cool - having both Omnimechs and Battlemechs in the same chassis - but I don't see it happening.

My guess is that it'll be treated like a Loyalty Mech. You cannot buy any of its parts separately, but its parts can be swapped around with your other Mechs normally. If for some reason you purchase multiple copies of the Hero, you would then have multiple copies of its pods. But that'd be the only way to get "extra" copies - buy an entire additional Mech.

There's some slight chance that owning the Hero will "unlock" its pods for purchase for you, but I doubt it. The above Loyalty Mech method seems most likely.

#30 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 07 April 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

Reasonable theory, but I doubt it. If it were being treated as a Battlemech, it'd have a max engine rating on the info page because you'd be able to swap out its engine.

That would actually be cool - having both Omnimechs and Battlemechs in the same chassis - but I don't see it happening.

My guess is that it'll be treated like a Loyalty Mech. You cannot buy any of its parts separately, but its parts can be swapped around with your other Mechs normally. If for some reason you purchase multiple copies of the Hero, you would then have multiple copies of its pods. But that'd be the only way to get "extra" copies - buy an entire additional Mech.

There's some slight chance that owning the Hero will "unlock" its pods for purchase for you, but I doubt it. The above Loyalty Mech method seems most likely.

Sorry, I meant treated as a Battlemech insofar as the unswappable omnipods. Engine and JJs would still be locked.

#31 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 April 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

Sorry, I meant treated as a Battlemech insofar as the unswappable omnipods. Engine and JJs would still be locked.

That would require additional coding, so seems pretty unlikely.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 07 April 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

That said, I'm not really sure why people are clinging to this hero like they are, arms are often the most fragile part next to legs on light mechs, so having firepower there is often a detriment (there are always exceptions though).

Its a feeling left out thing.

"What? The Viper can have 11E hardpoints but only with the cash only variant? P2W!!"

That is like the worst reason to worry about P2W. You can do 9E hardpoints without paying, 11E hardpoints is never going to be a meta loadout, even if they removed ghost heat on ER SLs, its still too damn hot to be reliable. It might be fun, once, but fun doesn't mean P2W.

The only interesting thing you really get is the ability to do 6 lasers (all in the arms so you can articulate your lasers) and 2 SRM4s in the torsos or 4 MGs. While that is cool, right now, I'm pretty confident the 6 cSPL loadout will be superior.

#33 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

Something that I think people are overlooking. If we CAN indeed swap the Hero OmniPods out to other variants, I'd say that Left Torso Missile Hardpoint is FAR more valuable than the 3x energy arms. If it's possible to swap it out and purchase more, you can have a Triple SRM6 mech that goes 130kph with backup weapons.

#34 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 April 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Something that I think people are overlooking. If we CAN indeed swap the Hero OmniPods out to other variants, I'd say that Left Torso Missile Hardpoint is FAR more valuable than the 3x energy arms.

Possibly. It's certainly more unique, in that a 10th and/or 11th E hardpoint isn't as helpful as a 3rd M hardpoint.

If it's possible to swap it out

Yes, it will be.

and purchase more,

No, it won't be.

All you have to do is look at the Loyalty Omnimechs to see how it's going to work. The code is already in place and working, so that's what they'll use. I'll be surprised if it works any other way. You'll be able to use any pods you own the same way that any pod can be used, but you won't be able to buy more.

Hint: never sell omnipods.

#35 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 07 April 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

This is kinda false, after all, people buy the collector's edition of these packs which gives you an identical variant with a special paint scheme and c-bill boost as well.

The only reason I even got the heroes I did is because one of them might be powerful some day (like the Oxide) and I don't want to miss out, that's a bad problem to have in any game. Part of the reason many heroes were ever pay-2-lose were most likely because they were afraid of a certain hero being too powerful (like the 6M Oxide of yore).

I get the argument, and frankly it would’ve been better for Piranha to do something like this from the outset.

But as we all remember from the Project Phoenix Fiasco, people around here take their purchased exclusivity VERY. VERY. SERIOUSLY. If Piranha started releasing normal C-bill variants of Hero ‘Mechs – even without the Hero camouflage or C-bill booster, you can expect all those weird people who bought Phoenix specifically for the exclusivity of it, and who buy Hero ‘Mechs specifically because they’re not available to the plebeian masses without fat stacks to drop, will erupt in an outroar of nerdrage the forums have not seen since the days of 3rd person camera.

Even assuming Fup’s thing of immense C-bill cost for Hero layout variants – and let’s face it, there would be no such massive C-bill sink involved – my experiences with Guild Wars 2 (briefly: GW2 allows you to buy gems, the cash shop currency/MC equivalent, with in-game gold via an in-game currency exchange interface where you can swap gems for gold and vice-versa with other players in a money market sort of dealie) have shown me that a great many players will cheerfully spend thirty hours grinding out twenty IRL bucks’ worth of in-game currency, so long as they don’t actually have to pay that twenty bucks.

Which, admittedly, is fantastic for the handful of guys who run the conversion the other way and sell the gems everyone is working their butts off to not have to buy, but that’s neither here nor there.

Folks will put hundreds of dollars of work hours into avoiding the tiniest of real-money charges in their games. They will go way the hell out of their way and exert far more effort to do things the free way than the hour or two of work it took them to earn the money they’d need to do it The Paid Way, simply because paying for things in a F2P game has earned a nasty stigma in today’s vidja-gaemin’ scene. ‘Whales’ are seen as bloated, horrible slobs with no self-control and serious social issues because they don’t have anything better to spend their money on than their gaming hobby, while the Plucky Heroes who do everything the freebie grindy way are cool cats who’re Stickin’ It To The Man and working the system for all it’s worth, Champions of the Common Man in a world where gaming has the sheer, contemptible gall to cost money.

Can you really blame Piranha for not opening that can of worms and just telling people that if they want the occasional nifty toy, they can help pay for the servers?

#36 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 07 April 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Possibly. It's certainly more unique, in that a 10th and/or 11th E hardpoint isn't as helpful as a 3rd M hardpoint.

Yes, it will be.

No, it won't be.

All you have to do is look at the Loyalty Omnimechs to see how it's going to work. The code is already in place and working, so that's what they'll use. I'll be surprised if it works any other way. You'll be able to use any pods you own the same way that any pod can be used, but you won't be able to buy more.

Hint: never sell omnipods.

You're probably right, I can't see them doing something new. This seems like the easiest solution. One set of OmniPods that come with the Hero, and if you sell them, that's it, they're gone. (Though it would be nice if they stated that ANYWHERE IN THE GAME AT ALL)

Who sold their Nova-D(L) Omnipods????
<----- This guy Posted Image

Still mourning them to this day.

#37 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,785 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

View Post1453 R, on 07 April 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Can you really blame Piranha for not opening that can of worms and just telling people that if they want the occasional nifty toy, they can help pay for the servers?

Yes, because that nifty toy has and can easily become the only toy that matters. So instead of opening one can of worms dealing with exclusivity, they keep one that has been open since the Yen-Lo-Wang was released. Especially since they still get to keep the exclusive paint scheme and c-bill boost with something like Fup suggests.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 07 April 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#38 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 07 April 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Who sold their Nova-D(L) Omnipods????
<----- This guy Posted Image

Still mourning them to this day.

Posted Image

I basically never sell anything. There's really no point - c-bills are pretty easy to come by, you just need a little patience. I mean, I still have something approaching 400 single heat sinks. ;)

I do sell extra engines, but I keep at least 2 spare copies in inventory. So if I somehow get 3 x STD 280 in inventory, I'll sell one of them. But otherwise I still have everything I've ever purchased or been given by PGI.

#39 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

View PostBaelfire, on 07 April 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

Ok, makes sense, thx.

Misread, now i see that Scarecrow actually sold his D(L) pods.

Edited by Ace Selin, 07 April 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#40 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

Still no definite answer as to how the Hero will function, I bet they're still gobbling down pre-orders just fine though.

There isn't even a forum post in the Announcement section like there usually is.

Edited by xeromynd, 08 April 2016 - 08:49 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users