Rules

3 replies to this topic

#1 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Why are you requiring that people play on a specific resolution setting? People have different monitors with different aspect ratios, and the customization of the resolution setting allows for people to set it so that the game displays as intended (rather than squished vertically or horizontally) and is important to high level play as it gives the player a proper sense of size and distance. By keeping it locked you are requiring people with non-standard monitors to play the game in a way that may look very strange and negatively impact performance.

Additionally, by locking the resolution setting you are making participating in this tournament practically impossible for players with older rigs that cannot maintain an acceptable framerate at that resolution or greatly disadvantaging them. Having a better rig already provides people who have better rigs an advantage in turns of higher frames per second at any resolution. Do you really want to exacerbate that advantage by locking the resolution so that people with older or cheaper setups cannot increase their framerates to acceptable levels by lowering their resolution.

I do not see how having an unlocked resolution would allow for one player to gain an advantage over another by changing it, but keeping it locked at a certain resolution certainly unfairly advantages those with higher end rigs and monitors with standard aspect ratios.

Edit: False alarm. The resolution lock only applies to the onsite Vancouver Finals, not the play at home portion of the tournament. Thanks to Rushin Roulette for pointing this out before it caused more confusion.

Edited by guy0320, 06 April 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#2 GothicVash

• PipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

i have to agree on this i run on a 32" tv.. normal aspect ratios are not really good on my rig. tho i can get decent framerates it just looks weird things are skinnyer/squished ect.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

Umm.... the resolution for the main tournament is not locked to any certain resolution... Here you play using your own hardware (and as far as I can see there is no fixed rule about resolution or details)

I think you are looking at the part for the finals in Canada where the resolution is fixed for those matches. You can not use your old PCs or your 32" TV to that event... all PCs including peripherals are set for the tournament by the host (PGI probably) and no changes are permitted (except for allowances regarding disabilities... and hopefully also left/right handed players).

EDIT: Just saw the rule about Keyboards/Mice has been changed. Players can bring their own ones now but these need to be vetted by the organisers before use (I guess they want to check if all Mice have been de-wormed before intensive use).

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 06 April 2016 - 11:37 PM.

#4 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

You're right. I misread the rules and mistook the "World Final Tournament Build" for "Tournament Build". PGI should probably rename the builds/sections to "Play at Home Build" and "Vancouver Build" or the like to avoid further confusion. I'm sure that I am not the only one to mistake these two different sets of rules as both being the same thing due to the similar names. I will update the initial post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users