99 replies to this topic

#21 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:10 AM

Once upon a Time...in the Open Beta 2013...PGI say ,it came a Joystick for mWO from Razor.. .
the Artemis
Posted Image

Posted Image

.. many Years later

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 05 June 2016 - 03:11 AM.

#22 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Playing MWO with a joystick because "joystick was good with old Mechwarrior games" is like using an analog controller in CSGO because "everybody plays CoD and Halo with controller on Xbox!"

No.

#23 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

View PostTarogato, on 05 June 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Playing MWO with a joystick because "joystick was good with old Mechwarrior games" is like using an analog controller in CSGO because "everybody plays CoD and Halo with controller on Xbox!"

No.

I wish I could get this stickied at the top of every forum. Joysticks suck in MWO, and if you are using one you are severely gimping yourself.

#24 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostTarogato, on 05 June 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

No.

View PostAsrrin, on 06 June 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

I wish I could get this stickied at the top of every forum. Joysticks suck in MWO, and if you are using one you are severely gimping yourself.

Only because you are excluded from Tournaments.

Like I say I usually rank in the top 700 in the mech Challenges with a Joystick and got to #287 on the Zeus I think. That's pretty good for a casual player. The true test would be duels, like in Solaris, but that will have to wait. I so want to prove you naysayers wrong in a 1v1.

If you haven't tried to master Joystick, you don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by Lightfoot, 10 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

View PostFuDawg, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

You people are so spoiled :) I learned how to change my very first video adapter in my 8088 12Mhz system playing the original Mechwarrior. I bet y'all don't even know what an EGA card was :)

I do though I was three or four at the time.
Grew up on mostly VGA.

#26 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Bull pup controller

https://en.wikipedia.../AGM-12_Bullpup

The controller was a for runner to the joy stick
It had a square knob on the end if you’re ever in an aircraft museum

The bullpup controller was miniaturized and became a slew track switch

I seemed to remember switching from an analog joy stick to a digital then back to an analog joy stick

The WASD keys where first the arrow keys but there were problems playing games at work
And they changed to the WASD keys

Something like that things do get a little fuzzy over time

#27 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 07 April 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I played in Microsoft's 1999 MechWarrior 3 tournament and any controller of the time was allowed and joystick was the suggested controller, but mouse and joysticks and keyboard was all allowed.

I played the original Mechwarrior in 1989 and keyboard was all that was supported (IIRC).

THAT's tradition.

Edited by Khereg, 10 June 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#28 Febrosian R Gillingham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

I play rts games with my quad joystick setup. I'll use it to get to the finals for this tournament. At the live finals I'll reveal to everyone that *I* am a joystick and will therefore be the best and prove once and for all joysticks are better

#29 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostKhereg, on 10 June 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

I played the original Mechwarrior in 1989 and keyboard was all that was supported (IIRC).

THAT's tradition.

I don't think they had joysticks for PC/Mac in 1989. In MechWarrior 2 they prompted you to use a Sidewinder though. I still have the manual with the pictures. Lots of players still use a joystick for MWO, Elite, and Rise of Flight, etc. I guess it's how you want MWO to play. As a shooter, probably Mouse. As a Mech-Sim,probably Joystick. Results are close to equal.

#30 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 10 June 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

I don't think they had joysticks for PC/Mac in 1989.

Exactly my point. TRADITION!

Or you could play with actual potatoes:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Z4WwU8i

#31 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

View PostKhereg, on 10 June 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Exactly my point. TRADITION!

Or you could play with actual potatoes:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Z4WwU8i

Ah yes, the newest Game Mouse with 64,000 levels. That is exactly what playing MWO with a mouse is like for me!

But I think the Mech-Sim players are using a joystick. And it is also TRADITION because MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, all sold players on playing with a Sidewinder joystick, or that was the one pictured in the game manuals, and that's just how you pilot a mech once you master it. Mouse piloting is just Potatoesque.

#32 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

I couldn't care less what people actually use, but if you're going to make a tradition-based argument, you better be ready to go back to the beginning.

Edited by Khereg, 11 June 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#33 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 10 June 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

But I think the Mech-Sim players are using a joystick. And it is also TRADITION because MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, all sold players on playing with a Sidewinder joystick,

All the best players in MW 3 and 4 used a mouse.

Edited by Krivvan, 16 June 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#34 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 10 June 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Ah yes, the newest Game Mouse with 64,000 levels. That is exactly what playing MWO with a mouse is like for me!

But I think the Mech-Sim players are using a joystick. And it is also TRADITION because MechWarrior 2, 3, 4, all sold players on playing with a Sidewinder joystick, or that was the one pictured in the game manuals, and that's just how you pilot a mech once you master it. Mouse piloting is just Potatoesque.

I started playing this franchise table top and experienced every iteration of it on the PC, Xbox etc, including MPBT, knock offs like Armored Core, Heavy Gear and dabbled in Hawken for about ten minutes. While I have tried JS, it's never been the right controller for this game. JS is great for flight sims, but not so much in a walking-tank sim and frankly never has been.

I also don't find it more immersive either, having driven real tanks at work, none of which use a JS to drive (although some use JS to twist turret....but again, it's multiple people operating it, unlike a mech).

As far back as I can remember, JS has been an option but certainly never a tradition. Players simply recognized that the JS was too limiting for a game where movement is split from torso orientation, unlike in a flight sim.

As Inigo Montoya might say, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

#35 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

No, it's not, and it never has been. Moving with a joystick has always been a secondary option, and unless you have both the game support, software, and hardware to make your joystick a zero-order controller for aiming, you are using an inferior option.

Mechwarrior games have always required a mouse. None of them have ever required a joystick.

#36 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

I prefer joystick for the simulation feel, but hands down keyboard and mouse will make you a better player in MWO. I could see a joystick for piloting with mouse for aiming being feasible, but not optimal. This game was developed with the FPS (gamer) in mind. Sure it is a first person shooter with torso twist and no side step, but it is a FPS.

I would prefer to see a tournament with split brackets, one for keyboard and mouse and one for joystick. No reason this game can't be for both simulation purists and keyboard/mouse users.

#37 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:18 PM

Oh and amazon does not sell http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Neurohelmet, so until then it will have to be mouse and keyboard.

#38 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostBAHS, on 16 June 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

I would prefer to see a tournament with split brackets, one for keyboard and mouse and one for joystick. No reason this game can't be for both simulation purists and keyboard/mouse users.

Actually, the prize pool and how it's being awarded would likely argue against this COA.

If folks WANT to play with a JS, by all means. Enjoy the game. But it's not something to force on the entire population (via the flawed tradition argument) or likely to produce teams strong enough in performance to warrant their trip to Canada for the finals.

#39 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

Honestly I think properly configured system of 2 joysticks could be pretty good. Have one to control leg movement and torso pitch and bind the arm movement and torso twist to a second joystick with much more accurate movements...

Even better would be if you could bind a much faster torso twist to the first joystick for doing the ol' twist and shout.

Maybe use racing pedals for throttle as well.

View PostFuDawg, on 08 April 2016 - 09:46 PM, said:

You people are so spoiled Posted Image I learned how to change my very first video adapter in my 8088 12Mhz system playing the original Mechwarrior. I bet y'all don't even know what an EGA card was Posted Image

I do but I'm old as hell.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 16 June 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#40 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 10 April 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

I cant vouch for a normal joystick but a fragchuck and mouse combo work well. Although it seems its not allowed.

https://world.splitf...uck-pc-mac.html

Posted Image

Exactly... because off hand joystick (i use throttle & pedals) is the best way to pilot a mech... of course aiming has to be mouse though..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users