- - - - -

Just Started

6 replies to this topic

#1 fez12133

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hello, I have done the download and the install but stuck as to where my next move is, looking to start with the free play but have know clue on which direction to go to get started. Can anyone help.
Thanks,

#2 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

Once you've finished the download the patch button will become a play button, press it, then login when you get to that point.

Once you are in game, look for the tutorial on the left of the home screen. You should try a few challenges and switching mechs once you finish the tutorial.

After that, leave the tutorial and go to mechlab, pick a trial mech, and go to quick play.

#3 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

You can earn a lot of c-bills by doing the tutorials and during your first 25 matches. Save them until you complete all 25 and you will be able to purchase a nice Mech and customize it. Use the free TRial Mechs from the Mechlab for the 25 matches to see which ones suit you the best. That will give you an idea of what Mech to buy once you have earned all the c-bills bonuses during your cadet matches.

Oh, and have fun!

#4 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

It's helpful to return here before you buy your first mech. Let us Veterans know what you like and don't like and we can often point you in the direction to get you piloting a mech you will be comfortable in for months and years to come.

Still as said above , play through academy, play your first 25 matchs in trial mechs and then keep playing till you have played them all 3 to 5 times. When trying light and assault remember that those are generally the hardest mechs to do well in at first as well as the most expensive mechs to bring up to competitive lvls. Most new players tend to do best in heavy mechs or mediums and they are generally cheaper to build. Save all your cbills and come back here make a new topic called first mech advice and tell us what you thought about each mech you played. We will do our best to help you.

It's a good weekend to start playing because of the personal challenge that starts tomorrow, it can net you some extra cbills and a yellow color for your mechs once you buy one. Will also grab some MC but not enough to do anything with right away. You can track your progress after it starts by going to profile>stats>challenges.

Good luck out there. Welcome to the thunderdome

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:34 AM

you download and install the patcher, then launch the patcher and patch, patching installs the actural game, and will take hours. after you have finished patching the "patch" button will change to "play", you can skip the logos, then login.

First go to the tutorial, MWO handles diferantly to most other games so playing the tutorial will help, and even if you already know what you are doing the tutorial pays 5 million cbills, which is enough to buy a Mech.
after completing the tutorials select a trial Mech, I advise against buying your own yet, you can go to the testing grounds to get used to controling the Mech, in the testing grounds you can explore any map, and each map has 8 target Mechs which you can practice blowing up.
the trial Mechs have fixed loadouts and are there to allow you to try a variaty of Mechs, most of the trials have pretty good loadouts, although will be no substitute for a Mech configured to your playstyle, which you will develope over time.

When you are ready for your first real match click quick play (top right corner) to queue for a match, there is a dropdown arrow on the left edge of the quickplay button on which you can select which servers you want to play on, leave all 3 selected for faster matchmaking or deselect any which you have unplayable ping on, I find 20-40 on the EU server is noticably better than around 100 on the NA server however that is still playable, but 300+ on the OC server is not a good expernance for me so I deselect the Ocianic server leaving Europe and North America selected.
You will likely die horrably the first few games, try not to be put off but to learn from your mistakes, if you die early you can press [esc] and quit the match but I suggest you spectate other players, see what they do and that may give you a better idea of how to survive longer or do more damage next game.

I sugest trying most of the trial Mechs for at least 2 games, and taking notes on what you liked/disliked about eafh Mech/weapon.

your first 25 games give 12 million on top of game rewards, after 25 games you should have at least 18 million cbills, thet is enough to buy and outfit pretty much any 1 Mech, or 2-3 less expensive Mechs. this is where the notes I sugested you keep will help.
if there was a Mech you loved then just get another varient of that, but first look over the varients on smurfy's Mechlab that is a great tool for designing your Mechs, it allows you to play arround and figure out exactly what your prefered loadout will cost before potentialy wasting cbills and finding out you cannot do what you want, there is also A LOT of information about the Mechs and weapons on that site.

If you are not sure what will suit you then post your notes here (the more detail the better help we can provide) with a request for help and we will offer you recomendations based on your preferances.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 08 April 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:10 AM

Welcome to MWO!

When you think you're ready to buy a mech go to this site.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Smurfy lets you build mechs, see how hot they are, and how much they will cost BEFORE spending a single c-bill.

Sorry, RJ, didn't notice that you'd posted Smurfy.

Edited by mailin, 08 April 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:26 AM

View Postfez12133, on 07 April 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hello, I have done the download and the install but stuck as to where my next move is, looking to start with the free play but have know clue on which direction to go to get started. Can anyone help.
Thanks,

Welcome. Non-steam?

View PostKoniving, on 05 April 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

Question: HOW DO I PLAY i downloaded the installer and now I'm at the online page but i can't play

Alright.

Step one, this is not a web-based game and does not require the website to launch. Only to download the installer.
That said, if you ran the installer you should have this little guy in your start menu.
Posted Image
Please click it now and say "yes" to allowing it to run in administrator mode.
Now you'll see this screen.
Posted Image

Step 2. See that pretty blue button with the white text? Says "Patch." Click that. When it's good and ready -- some long time later -- you'll be ready to play.

Skipping an hour or three...

Now you'll see this.
Posted Image

Alright! It's ready to go.

Step 3: Hit Play.

You'll find yourself here after the publisher and developer are done kindly reminding you who brought this game to you; which they will do every time you start the game. Hit space repeatedly to tell them "Yeah, yeah, START THE GAME ALREADY!!!!"
Posted Image

Now enter your email and password.
Once there, you'll find yourself on a page much like this....with a lot fewer mechs.
Posted Image

That's the game reminding you that you're space-poor. But don't worry, for your first 25 matches the game will shove LOTS of c-bills (money) down your throat until you've got roughly enough to get almost any mech you want for your first mech. Click one and then click launch.

Or better, click "Home", "Tutorial" if it doesn't already put you there on its own. Then after, click "Home" and "Testing Grounds," to get familiar with things before really mean people in large walking battlemechs (mechanized walking tanks) shoot you.

And that's...
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users