Odd Observation That Might Mean Something?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

So, SOMETIMES when I enter the Academy, there are GOLD boxes and doritos for the trial/trainer mechs in the academy. They are targetable. Each has a pilot name (I see that Paul and Tina each have their unique IDs in there), and the paper doll for each can be selected. I've never had it together to see if I can lock them as targets with SSRMs or LRMs.

AGAIN, each of the unoccupied mechs, into which a player may switch while in the Academy, will show up with a GOLD box around it on the HUD, and with a corresponding GOLD dorito overhead, and with a %health indication and pilot name. This is intermittent, and I have yet to see a pattern to what might be causing it.

NOT a problem, as far as I can tell. Just something that I feel y'all should probably know about, if you don't already, that is happening out here in the live environment.

#2 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

Active Probe? The one time I saw it I chalked it up to bringing an Active Probe for the first time.

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

Those 'mechs are shut down on their spot and only power up and become targetable when you step on the spot that allows you to switch into them. Beagle Active Probe allows you to target shutdown 'mechs when you get close to them. I've never experienced this issue. Probably because I don't run any 'mechs with an active probe except for my Mist Lynx that has the forced active probe. And I don't think I've ever taken my Mist Lynx into the academy. Perhaps this is an intermittent thing for you because you only see it when you bring in a 'mech that has an active probe? If this is the case it's not really a bug or anything, just a feature of the active probe. As for the gold dorito and target box, that is the color that is normally used for 'mechs that have disconnected pilots or, in this case, no pilot at all.

Edited by Mole, 08 April 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

I think you guys MAY have nailed it.

I'll verify tomorrow, when I have the time to play. Makes sense to me that active probe would have to be responsible.

Wonder why it does that, though. And I wonder if I can lock missiles onto them... Hmm...

#5 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts
  • LocationQuite possibly on the What MECH Challengers Discord at: http://bit.ly/2pkX1Yi

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

I wonder why it's Paul, Tina, et al showing up like that as the pilot names, too.

Easter eggs, after a fashion?

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

Was my guess, yes. Not like full names. Seems kinda light-hearted, FUN variations on their names. Man, now I'll have to go get screenshots.

BRB...

#7 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

On the odd occasion, the 'Mechs in the swappers initialized powered up instead of powered down, and as neutral actors on the stage they show up as yellow. Let me know if they also show up on BAP.

And yes, the names are little nods to various people here. (But there's nobody in my family named Adams.... :-) )

#8 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 09 April 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Was my guess, yes. Not like full names. Seems kinda light-hearted, FUN variations on their names. Man, now I'll have to go get screenshots.

BRB...

*checks console readout*

Radio check: "Rabbi, you've been gone a while getting those screenies. Everything okay out there?"

Was there an "incident" in the mechbay, perhaps involving a wrench? Need us to have a pizza sent over to the lady and kid(s) while your legal counsel does their thing?

Mind you, I understand if you "juss had tuh take care o' bidniss," I was just looking forward to those screenies. I haven't actually seen it do this yet.

Screenies, pretty please?

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

NEVER. FAILS.

I notice something. Make mental note after a few occurrences. Make coffee. Go to work. Pick up a new hobby. Re-notice the thing. Re-forget the thing. Re-re-notice it, and finally attempt to bring it to someone's attention.

And then?

Can't freakin' get it to do it again, at all, ever. Hasn't happened ONCE in that time, since the last post. Believe me, I have that screenshot key ready to go, and I'm rollin' ShadowPlay in the background too, so I can have some FUN with this (and also, video myself in a blue-and-white Urbanmech blowing up illegally-parked cars around the academy grounds). Seriously, I'm in the Academy almost DAILY.

So, Mister Forsey (I imagine that in Agent Smith's voice, BTW), haven't been able to get it to occur with any combination of Active Probe, Target Info Gathering module, ECM. Neither Clan nor IS. Haven't had it even ONCE lately. Apparently, random is as random does. Or something.

(And how is Paul not an Admiral or something? Could you all ninja-like rename him to Admiral Mikey? Would he get the reference? Would that make Russ into General Knoxx? Or Tina? Or YOU?! Spooky...)

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

"I! AM! AWESOME!" -The Miz

BEHOLD!

You're welcome, world. I accept cash, money orders, and _______ favors....

#11 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

Congrats! Now all I need is reliable reproduction steps... :-)
I had a hunch that this happens when some part of the game gets updated... but never could track it down...

and the names change... occasionally...

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Getting it to happen is like praying for rain, and I fear anything I could offer in that way would just be textbook confirmation bias.

FWIW, it seemed the Academy took extra-long to load. Like a few or even several seconds more time on the Academy loading screen and the blank screen, before Julius showed up to welcome me.

Mech was SHC without AP (but did have Mk I TC).

Been in there plenty since the last hotfix without seeing this, and even in that same loadout.

#13 MechPowerupDetected

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

My favorite was the 4X, Sgt. 'Cool Ranch' Dorito. http://imgur.com/a/7B68N

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users