Guide

1 reply to this topic

#1 Zirakss

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGermany, Kiel

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hello dear fellow mech warriros!

I enjoy this game a lot, and so I put a thought into customizing my mech with a decent camo. For my case I needed some shades of blue. I dont need variants of blue with too much green or red in it, so I don't put work in them.

What did I do?
  • Get all the variations of blue from the camo palette. Excluding too green and too red versions.
  • Apply them on three different mechs, to see if there is a big difference when applied on the war machines:
    • Get samples from those mechs.
    • Blur those samples to one solid color patch.
    • Get the color value from this patch.
  • Calculate the brightness level for the human eye.
  • Order all of them in a row with their brightness level.
Posted Image

As you can see, applied on mechs the colors differ quite a bit from their original value. In this example the color was much lighter on the thunderbolt. On the marauder it was a little bit darker, but not by much. On the executioner the color war pretty close to the value of the palette. I guess you have to choose different colors for the same look, over all your mechs. Sadly the palette is kind of small.

You can find an archive with all data I used here:
https://www.mediafir...iv50l858nli6voo

The programs I used:
  • IrfanView - A nice free image viewer with mighty batch conversion options.
  • The Gimp - A free image manipulation software.
  • LibreOffice 5 - A free office suite. I used the german version.
Rights:
The images were screenshots from mechwarrior online and so all their rights apply. A part from that, I give the community the right, to use the work I spent into getting the samples, researching the correct color values etc. Feel free to use them!

Thoughts and hopes:
It would be great, if we could get more color values applied to more mechs. Sadly I don't have the time to do it. But feel free to use my work, to create a big table with all colors available in Mech Warrior Online.

Update:
When I copied the original table into this post everything looked fine in the editor. When I posted and reloaded the table was down to plaintext. So I was forced to exchange this table to a screen shot. You will find the original table-sheet in the archive.

Edited by Zirakss, 11 April 2016 - 12:26 AM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, this happens a lot. It's not as bad now as it used to be: try colors on, say, a Thunderbolt or Shadowhawk - primary colors bleed into secondary colors and such. A LOT. So it a given color channel is not only going to be a different color for that mech, but it'll also change based on what other colors are currently equipped on that mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users