36 replies to this topic

#21 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:22 AM

Since 2012 I've been trying to tell you that the fundamental way that Streaks work has been horribly flawed, but nobody listened. You could have prevented this...

On a more serious note, I think that regular SRMs (Oxide, Jenny IIC), SPL, and IS MPL could end up being the more common weapons in this mode in spite of the badly thought out Streak design.

#22 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostFupDup, on 15 April 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Since 2012 I've been trying to tell you that the fundamental way that Streaks work has been horribly flawed, but nobody listened. You could have prevented this...

On a more serious note, I think that regular SRMs (Oxide, Jenny IIC), SPL, and IS MPL could end up being the more common weapons in this mode in spite of the badly thought out Streak design.

I would say it depends on the pilots skill. SRMs and SPL are still the way to go for dogfights but in the hands of not highly skilled pilots or people with bad ping CSSRM builds will be pretty dangerous too.

#23 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

Have they even mentioned 4v4/scouting recently? Last I heard of it was at the start of CW2, then shortly after it never came up again other than from players.

#24 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

View Postsycocys, on 15 April 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

Have they even mentioned 4v4/scouting recently? Last I heard of it was at the start of CW2, then shortly after it never came up again other than from players.
it's coming :) without it phase 3 wouldn't be phase 3.

Over all good counter to streak mechs is 4 ecms. Bap still doesn't work very well even if each mech has one. You will just have to watch out for UAVs.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 15 April 2016 - 07:25 AM.

#25 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 14 April 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

My GOD, man, if we could even get THAT much clarification on Phase Three (Praise be!) before the patch notes are finalized, it'd apparently be a freakin' MIRACLE.

WILL it be limited to lights and mediums in 4v4? We ASSUME so, because the little teaser clip they showed us shows only HBKs and SDRs, and the teaser image on the weekend event header is a CDA in 4v4 mode. But have they SPECIFIED ANYTHING AT ALL?

Nope.

For all we KNOW right now, the Steiner Scout Lance may be a reality in about 5 days.

Wait. The Steiner Scout Lance WON'T be an option?! Then what good are my four Atlases? Atlasi... Atlas... WHAT GOOD ARE MY FOUR 100 TON SCOUT MECHS?!

#26 The Smoking Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDa Yoop

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

I barely see anyone else using streaks now as it is... I see a lot more SRMs though.

This part of the OP statement is confusing me " the drawback being that streaks are useless against heavies and assaults " .... I almost feel like I'm feeding a troll right now, are you serious with this comment? Just because you are packin a bunch of streaks doesn't mean you can toe to toe with a significantly heavier mech.

Now that rear armor... it's almost like it was made to be destroyed by my streaks.

#27 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostDer Hesse, on 15 April 2016 - 01:14 AM, said:

So how do you expect to stay at range against a 156,5 kph clan jenner in an IS mech that has the tonnage to support a meaningful amount of 7 ton IS LPLs?

Nah, you're right. Kinda meant it more like KinLuu mentioned. Of course, recon being recon, if YOU spot HIM first, then you have more options even if he IS (at best, though it's NOT optimal loadout most days) twice your speed.

I'm thinking of THIS build, first. Straight off of metamechs.com, FIRST BJ build on the page. That's what I had in mind here, since you can hit an optimal range WELL above 400 m with quirks and module, you can throw down significant damage at 600+. JR7-IIC feels (to me, anyhow) like it's constructed entirely of wet toilet paper. Streak Crow? Not THAT much faster than this guy, but a lot tougher. THAT's the one I'm thinking of with the keep-at-range challenge, as opposed to your JR7-IIC example, which is just find-first-and-laser-vomit-before-it-gets-on-me.

But yeah, fair point, and thanks for pointing out how tired I was when I posted that.

#28 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Streaks are sandblasters, and not particularly good at killing, well, anything. Don't believe me? Take a streakboat into the testing grounds, how long does it take to kill or cripple the stock light mechs there? Hell, in actual play I have, on two separate occasions, unloaded a full spread of 36 Streaks from a Mad Dog into the face of a Locust, only to watch him tank it and run. If you think FS9s or anything tankier can't tank a few streaks and fight back then you need to pilot both lights and streakboats more, get a feel for what they can and can't do.

#29 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

ShadowHawk with AC/10 and trip SRM4s will down a Streakcrow faster than the crow can down the Hawk. HBKs as well

#30 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 15 April 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

ShadowHawk with AC/10 and trip SRM4s will down a Streakcrow faster than the crow can down the Hawk. HBKs as well

Probably true at high skill levels, but I don't think that build is particularly effective against Cheetahs. The thing about the Streakcrow is that it's extremely effective against lights and also very effective against medium mechs, particularly 40-50 tonners.

You can take a Crow-killer to Recon mode, but then you're basically bringing rock and hoping the enemy has a lot of scissors. Ideally, you want a build that kills everything almost equally well, like an SPL ACH, SRM Griffin, etc.

#31 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 15 April 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

it's coming Posted Image without it phase 3 wouldn't be phase 3.

so you expect them to have actually developed something to commemorate the change of the phase number? like phase 2?

#32 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Say what you will 4 Skill Crows will still wreck most 4 heavies.

Is this really a meta thing right now?
Of course I am scared of them while I run lights or lighter mediums, but as soon as I run equal (Griffin 2N) or higher the only thing I usually think is "Oh boy, I sure will will loose a lot of random armor over this." Then the crow starts farting its SSRM´s all over my mech, overheats after a maximum of 3 volleys and looses one or two STs.

And IS streakboats are rarer than Dodo´s, even with the 9 missile hardpoint archer variant...go figure

#33 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostThe Smoking Man, on 15 April 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

I barely see anyone else using streaks now as it is... I see a lot more SRMs though.

This part of the OP statement is confusing me " the drawback being that streaks are useless against heavies and assaults " .... I almost feel like I'm feeding a troll right now, are you serious with this comment? Just because you are packin a bunch of streaks doesn't mean you can toe to toe with a significantly heavier mech.

Now that rear armor... it's almost like it was made to be destroyed by my streaks.

Are we playing the same game?
Streaks are crap against heavies and assaults. They spread damage all over the place, while being hot and (for the bigger launchers) having a long CD.
I love catching Streak-crows with my bigger mechs: they can't do anything but sandblast you.
And of course they are effective against rear armor...all weapons are effective against rear armor.
But streaks also go for legs and arms if you are behind the enemy (unless you are face-hugging their b*tt), wasting a lot of damage... and any decent heavy or assault pilot will not let you get behind them easily.

And even IF you are some god among pilots that has the ability to get in and out hitting the opponent's backs with Streaks and not taking return fire while not being noticed... wouldn't you be better off with normal SRMs?

Edited by TheCharlatan, 15 April 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#34 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

I still think Phase 3 doesnt even exist (yet or at all). Its just a decoy. Something bad will happen on patch day or the day before. Mark my words.

#35 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

Boys! Boys! Boys!

I have three letters for you: E, C, and M.

Bring 4 sets.

#36 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Not going to say that streaks are effective but what kind of lunatic bring streak boats without BAP or cAP?

4 BAP > 4 ECM

#37 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

I'd take a lance of BJ-1Xs against a lance of Streakboats, or even Oxides. Not even LPLs, just the ML/MPL standard or pure MPLs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users