Atms Don't Feel Powerful

55 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Before you start, this is not a call to buff ATMs or anything. I am merely sharing my thought, that ATMs don't exactly feel powerful -- until I get to the score-board.

I didn't really lobbed much missiles, but get 800 damage -- whaaaat? Anyone also sharing this experience?

Currently, ATMs have similar volley interval as LRMs -- which is 0.05s or 20 rounds/sec. But considering LRMs doing 1 damage/missile, ATMs doing 2 to 3 damage/missile means to do 24 damage that would have taken an LRM20 1.2s, the ATMs either take 0.6s (at +270m) to 0.4s (at -270m), ATMs actually have more "instantaneous", faster burst of damage.

With the advent of the PTS, now there's different missile-health per launcher, with smaller launchers having more missile health, and missiles are less vulnerable to AMS as a result. With that, I question the point of ATM3s having 0.025s volley-interval as it was supposed to be done to be less vulnerable to AMS before -- now they have an actual solution to make it consistent.

That being said, would it be nice if ATMs could have 0.1s of volley-interval to differentiate from LRMs (With adjusted missile health to compensate)? It doesn't have to be exactly 0.1s but just a slower volley interval to differentiate. Throw in a larger explosion as well, it would feel more powerful than before.

With 1.0s volley interval, you'd do 24 damage under 1.00s (at +270m) or 0.80s (at -270m), which is still far faster than LRMs. And assuming that the missile-health is properly compensated which would have retained the AMS vulnerability, it only really affects the burst of damage, but will still retain the monstrous alpha you have before, it's only a bit more distributed.

That being said, this is just a shallow, aesthetic concern than balance.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 02 March 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

Meh, got no comment on all of that.

But what I would like to see is a different visual effect based on the range and damage.

The explosion it currently has at long range, medium range (2 damage) something more SRM-like, and at closer range something...flashier?
Right now I feel like I'm shooting foam darts.
Posted Image
And no one seems impressed, even when they die they're just like o.o; "huh. What happened?"

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 March 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Right now I feel like I'm shooting foam darts.
Posted Image

BoomCo darts aren't actually foam tho.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 March 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

BoomCo darts aren't actually foam tho.

I wanted something more smushy... but all I could find were gifs of kids shooting themselves.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,074 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

its probably one of the most situational weapons in the game right now. however unlike other situational weapons, the places where it is good, its really good, possibly one of the best. unlike say an erll or a ppc, it gets a strong buff in its optimal bracket. ppc further it gets out harder it is to hit moving targets. erlls are never exceptionally strong at extreme ranges either, or any range for that matter.

#6 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

Please just stop.
ATM Huntsman.
ATM Stupanova.
ATM Mad Dawgs.
If you want real foamy darts try LRMS.

#7 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 March 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

its probably one of the most situational weapons in the game right now. however unlike other situational weapons, the places where it is good, its really good, possibly one of the best. unlike say an erll or a ppc, it gets a strong buff in its optimal bracket. ppc further it gets out harder it is to hit moving targets. erlls are never exceptionally strong at extreme ranges either, or any range for that matter.

This is how I feel about ATMs myself. When they are good, they are good but most often it seems like I get very mediocre results from them.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 02 March 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Please just stop.
ATM Huntsman.
ATM Stupanova.
ATM Mad Dawgs.

IS LRMs, despite being significantly inferior, at least look like they did something. Whether being hit by or hitting someone with ATMs, honestly I don't even remember if they even have an explosion effect. That's how empty they feel.

(Far as 6th's complaints, as I said before got nothing for that. They seem to do great damage and they work well... but visually I might will be shooting a stapler.)
Posted Image

Here's an example of a stapler that looks like its doing something.
Posted Image
My victims don't even react, as if I'm just poking them.

Posted Image

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 March 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

That's a plus actually.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 March 2019 - 07:26 PM, said:

Before you start, this is not a call to buff ATMs or anything. I am merely sharing my thought, that ATMs don't exactly feel powerful -- until I get to the score-board.

I didn't really lobbed much missiles, but get 800 damage -- whaaaat? Anyone also sharing this experience?

Totally true, sometimes i'm like "Meh.. " and scoreboard saying 1k. mfw.

I would totally subscribe to kon's idea of having different visual effects for the 3 2 and 1 damage.

#11 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 02 March 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Please just stop.
ATM Huntsman.
ATM Stupanova.
ATM Mad Dawgs.

You forget the worst ATM offenders:
ATM Vapor eagle

#12 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:29 AM

No ATM Nova Cat my disappointment for not mentioning such a amazing boat.

#13 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:27 AM

ATMs are REALLY GOOD if you can use them in high volleys (ATM 36-48) within the 3 damage range (under 300m) and know how to position for the low arc. However, they quickly become REALLY BAD in the presence of any AMS, due to low missile count vs AMS spam.

Edited by Vxheous, 03 March 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 March 2019 - 04:07 AM, said:

That's a plus actually.

I know, but that's not really how it should work. An enemy not being able to notice ATMs from behind is probably more of an exploit than anything, especially when all they do is either flat out ignore it or they turn around looking for a light shooting lasers, meanwhile I'm sitting 800, 900 meters away like "gehehehehehehe" and the guy just goes back to what he was doing to wait for the next volley.

Seriously though some enemies can't even tell they have been shot. They are MISSILES... not foam darts. If I could get that kind of reaction from using LRMs, man I'd be rolling in cbills. But people notice LRMs.

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

View PostVxheous, on 03 March 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

ATMs are REALLY GOOD if you can use them in high volleys (ATM 36-48) within the 3 damage range (under 300m) and know how to position for the low arc. However, they quickly become REALLY BAD in the presence of any AMS, due to low missile count vs AMS spam.

This is my issue. When things are good you can crack open assaults in record time, but if one or two AMS shows up...

#16 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostVxheous, on 03 March 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

You do realize that I am commenting about their "feel", not the balance right? As in I don't "feel" doing the damage when it connects.

#17 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 March 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

You do realize that I am commenting about their "feel", not the balance right? As in I don't "feel" doing the damage when it connects.

why would you feel it? thats stupid.

when someone shoots someone with a gun they dont feel like theyve shot someone with a gun. The person they shot feels it.

it sounds like a ridiculous personal problem. because when I shoot people with ATMs I know im !@#ing them up. Because I know ATMs do a crap ton of damage. If youre boating ATMs and do less than 800 damage you probably did something wrong because theyre THAT ridiculous.

if anything the damage needs to be lowered on ATMs in the 120m-270m range because its broken as hell. And as a tradeoff for doing less damage their 120m deadzone should be removed and ATMs should get higher missile health. Its completely dumb that ATMs do less damage than CLRMs under 120m when ATMs are supposed to be the shorter range alternative to CLRMs. Also ATMs should get higher missile health because AMS is too effective against them.

Edited by Khobai, 03 March 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#18 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:44 PM

View PostKhobai, on 03 March 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

why would you feel it? thats stupid.

when someone shoots someone with a gun they dont feel like theyve shot someone with a gun. The person they shot feels it.

Are you kidding me?

Recoil, moron. Have you even shot a gun before? Isaac Newton, do you know him?

Such as you know you are shooting a more powerful round, if it has more powerful recoil by comparison. Such as a 9mm Luger vs a 45-ACP versus a 50-AE, a 357-Magnum vs a 44-Magnum, a 5.56-NATO vs 7.62-Soviet, or 7.62-NATO vs 338-Lapua vs 50-BMG. Idiot.

This high-recoil also, somewhat, contributes to lowered ROF to maintain accuracy over high recoil. Such as the difference of ROF between the 7.62-NATO FN MAG (650-1000 RPM), to the 338-Norma (stronger cartridge, at 500 RPM) that is the LWMMG. Of course that is designed by choice, but they had to take account of the stronger cartridge and have to lower the ROF so it becomes controllable.

As for the impact. Well, that depends how flashy the explosion, such as I don't need to tell you that a Nuclear Explosion from a Nuclear Missile would be a lot more impactful versus, say a MOAB, precisely because the Nuclear Missile has a larger fireball.

In this case however, I do implore a larger explosion from ATMs, with perhaps, slower volley ROF. If the ATMs are doing more damage/missile, wouldn't it makes sense to have a larger fireball?

it sounds like a ridiculous personal problem.

because when I shoot people with ATMs I know im !@#ing them up. Because I know ATMs do a crap ton of damage. If youre boating ATMs and do less than 800 damage you probably did something wrong because theyre THAT ridiculous.

Because it is. It's a comment to the current special effect, not the balance. As far as I'm concerned, if the missile-health is properly adjusted, it would still be doing similar damage/volley, though burst-of-damage would be normalized to that of ATMs.

if anything the damage needs to be lowered on ATMs in the 120m-270m range because its broken as hell. And as a tradeoff for doing less damage their 120m deadzone should be removed and ATMs should get higher missile health. Its completely dumb that ATMs do less damage than CLRMs under 120m when ATMs are supposed to be the shorter range alternative to CLRMs. Also ATMs should get higher missile health because AMS is too effective against them.

Jesus. You just saw a thread and thought you could spam your idea?

Get the **** out.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 03 March 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 March 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I know, but that's not really how it should work. An enemy not being able to notice ATMs from behind is probably more of an exploit than anything, especially when all they do is either flat out ignore it or they turn around looking for a light shooting lasers, meanwhile I'm sitting 800, 900 meters away like "gehehehehehehe" and the guy just goes back to what he was doing to wait for the next volley.

Seriously though some enemies can't even tell they have been shot. They are MISSILES... not foam darts. If I could get that kind of reaction from using LRMs, man I'd be rolling in cbills. But people notice LRMs.

They gotta be brain dead not to notice getting hit by ATMs. There is even a missile warning.

Also, firing ATMs from 800-900 meters away is not optimal at all.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 March 2019 - 05:15 PM.

#20 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 March 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

IS LRMs, despite being significantly inferior, at least look like they did something. Whether being hit by or hitting someone with ATMs, honestly I don't even remember if they even have an explosion effect. That's how empty they feel.

(Far as 6th's complaints, as I said before got nothing for that. They seem to do great damage and they work well... but visually I might will be shooting a stapler.)
Posted Image

Here's an example of a stapler that looks like its doing something.
Posted Image

Posted Image

no no IS LRM are not inferior Clan LRM are inferior

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users