30 replies to this topic

#21 FireNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

View Postsignum79, on 07 December 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

To bad I will have to quit the game when Chuck Norris purges me from canon.

Fixed. :D

#22 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

A bump!

To amend our OP: now that we've been informed leagues/private organized matches will not really be supported at release, we'll have to focus our competitive fervor solely on competitive play within the boundaries of in-game ranking. No problem!

Check your roleplay at the door.

As a little more info about our unit (because why waste a bump), I'll let you know a little bit about our philosophy. If you've ever read David Sirlin's "Playing to Win", that sums it up pretty well. We attack a game from the perspective of figuring it out and maximizing our potential. That, for us, is fun and it paid off in MechWarrior 4. However, unlike most success-oriented teams, we frown on trash talking/bragging/gloating and disrespectful behavior. Not that we're saints by any means - but let's just say that Good Guy Greg is the model citizen.

Although we are a Clan based team, our roleplay stays "on paper". We do not apply roleplay or "honor rules" or even Zellbrigen to our gameplay unless league rules or game mechanics dictate that we do so. We leg, we team up on individual 'Mechs, we utilize the most powerful configurations as a rule, we do not lock ourselves into the "but this underpowered mechanic is more funnnn" mindset, and we mercilessly destroy without any pretenses. I understand this is a controversial outlook, but it is how SJr rolls.

I know many people wonder why all these teams keep trying to recruit for a game that is still questionable in its status. I think we all hope simply to find a few likeminded individuals who are equally excited about the game and are looking for a community to hang with while we wait. At least, that's our angle.

So if success:community::genotype:environment, check us out.

Do you have the Resolve to be part of Smoke Jaguar Reborn? (yankee doodle went to town...) We just need more frands.
www.smokejaguarreborn.com
Visit us on irc.quakenet.org #smokejaguar
OMG what a long bump. TL:DR

Edited by glory, 23 December 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#23 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

View Postglory, on 23 December 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Although we are a Clan based team, our roleplay stays "on paper". We do not apply roleplay or "honor rules" or even Zellbrigen to our gameplay unless league rules or game mechanics dictate that we do so. We leg, we team up on individual 'Mechs, we utilize the most powerful configurations as a rule, we do not lock ourselves into the "but this underpowered mechanic is more funnnn" mindset, and we mercilessly destroy without any pretenses. I understand this is a controversial outlook, but it is how SJr rolls.

Wouldn't say it's all that controversial. I can't remember any hardcore roleplayers that were any good. Utilizing the most powerful configs is what a competitive unit does. These kinds of things are common amongst units that takie winning seriously. +1

Edited by GaussDragon, 23 December 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#24 Eagle HH

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTracy, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

You would be dishonoring your enemy to give them any less than the full bite of a Jag. How do I apply?

#25 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostEagle_HH, on 23 December 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

How do I apply?

Goofball. Well, Eaglez0r, since you are not already SJr >_> I shall tell you how!

Go to Our Recruitment Info Thread - read it, see if we still float your boat, and follow the directions there. :)

Edited by glory, 23 December 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#26 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 23 December 2011 - 12:23 PM, said:

I can't remember any hardcore roleplayers that were any good. Utilizing the most powerful configs is what a competitive unit does. These kinds of things are common amongst units that takie winning seriously. +1

Totally agree with you - just wish more players would see it this way. MechWarrior 4 had a dearth of serious competition - partly due to a comparitively small player base, but also due to how RP heavy the community is, carrying it even into gameplay. To their detriment, usually.

Edited by glory, 26 December 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#27 fionn

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

We still be recruiting. All interested peoples should check us out at Smoke Jaguar Reborn

Edited by fionn, 05 January 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#28 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Bump! Our website has recently undergone a complete reskinning. Check it out at http://www.smokejaguarreborn.com - and apply while you're at it. >; )

Edited by glory, 26 January 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#29 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yep. Those zany mutilators of canon names that aren't even in the MWO timeline yet are at it again, recruiting with Resolve for their unit that shouldn't even exist and has no right to the Jaguar name! ({cackle})

Seriously, though. This team is the sh*t ... and has been for 10 years despite the ups and downs and bumps and crashes. While we're an 18+ only team today, it wasn't always that way: several members of this team literally grew up together with SJr as a constant.

Are you interested in forging bonds like that? Come get to know us - and even if you aren't that interested in joining, you're welcome to post on our boards and visit our Mumble server and IRC channel. We love making more frands. Now is a great time to get to know teams you might want to sign up with when MWO releases.

If you play Battlefield 3 on PC, consider hooking up with us for some games. We're looking to form a small competitive team for TWL while we wait for the glorious MWO. I'd be glad to tell you my BattleLog ID!

So yes - SJr for the win. 18+ only, good frands, good times, no d-bags allowed. (Most members are North American but we have no reservation about accepting members from other time zones; we would glomp to have a Euro division again.)

www.SmokeJaguarReborn.com
Mumble: vox.smokejaguarreborn.com port 2087
IRC: irc.quakenet.com #smokejaguar

As for how we're swinging a non-Clan Clan Merc Clan Merc not canon yet canon Merclan team ... that's a Grade 2 Adept secret.

((Side note: Having seen that there are lots of lady 'Mechers who have registered on these boards so far, I want to make it known that SJr is a lady-friendly team. We have had several ladies in the team throughout our history, not just me. We do not tolerate misogynism or sexist behavior. - Yes, some of you might think this addition is odd. But the ladies understand what I'm sayin'. - ))

Edited by glory, 08 February 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#30 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

So, embarassing moment.

My apologies to anyone who tried to apply using our boards ... I um ... messed up the permissions, like a complete derp. >_> So if you had tried to post and couldn't, that was my bad.

#31 Akuma No Zeto

• Pip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:14 AM

o7 SJR

I understand that this is pretty much a decade after the post was made, but I would like to ask here in case anyone finds this message. Is SJR still active? I've seen SJR tags recently and it intrigues me to learn what ever happened to this unit?

Thanks,
[FCom] Nate Ninja

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users