Militia Drops For Faction Play. (Solo Queue)

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Solo queue for Faction Play (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Seems like a reasonable idea?

1. Yes (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Would implement it differently. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

This is a suggestion based on a recent tweet from Russ about making a separate solo queue option for Faction Play.
While there are a few other posts on the forum waging speculative war, I am opening this post as a way to discuss possible implementation ideas that could fit in with the design of Faction Play so it adds a layer of depth, gives solo players a game mode they can jump into where they can play as their faction and have some input into what is happening.

Keep in mind that it was a very brief comment on twitter to have a discussion about it at the next town hall, there are no details and it was merely a 'lets have some ideas' sort of comment from Russ.
Also keep in mind that Phase 3 of faction play is not implemented yet and not due until the middle of the year? Summer for those in the north? So any development along these lines is going to be waaaaay down the track... lets say 2017 somewhere.

So, to get the creative ideas flowing, lets start:

MILITIA SOLO QUEUE FOR PLANET UPRISINGS
I recall a comment a while back about implementing a solo drop queue for CW as a militia type of battle.
In this context, having solo players drop as a form of militia makes sense.
I also recall a comment that PGI would like to find an 8v8 mode if there was a reasonable idea.

Taking into consideration the careers that are coming with phase 3; solo players, loyalists or mercenaries currently aligned with a faction could receive an Uprising message to join a battle on a planet that their faction currently controls.

I see this as an 8 player PvE survival game mode.
The reason for making it PvE is it is easy to know which mechs can be restricted as we know who the current controlling faction is.
But it could be a little tricky working out who the prior faction was and therefore implementing a mech restriction option in a solo queue.

The essence of this mode is:
  • An uprising has occurred on planet X
  • A militia is hastily gathered from available forces.
  • The uprising is supressed if there is at least one surviving member of the militia still alive at the end of the match.
  • The militia also needs to control the majority of several strategic points on the map.
  • A planet that has rebelled becomes neutral and not provide a benefit to the faction who had control.
The opponents in this instance could be various types of combined arms units.

Tanks.
Infantry.
VTOLs.
The reason for this is the faction that took over the planet would have destroyed or taken any mechs... plus I think this is a great opportunity to put in some additional non-mech elements into the game and give players a chance to run around having fun with flamers and MGs etc.
Posted Image

Anyway, let us say there are perhaps 5 points on the map where the militia needs to control at least 3.
Bit like conquest and could use the point system but otherwise is a simple capture if there are no contesting units at that location.
This creates movement around the map that players need to respond to and have a reason to defend.

The enemy comes in waves from different points around the maps.
Using the less complex combined arms units should mean we can have a lot of them.
The players have to eliminate these units, keep control of the points and survive until the match ends.

Please note that for this idea I would not restrict players from joining according to if they have a unit tag or not, merely give it the same functionality as the quick play but relating to CW.

If you have some other ideas on how to make a solo drop work for faction play, please add some comments below or create a new post. Likewise if you like this idea but have some suggestions on different points or ways to implement it, please leave a comment.

Cheers.

Edited by 50 50, 16 January 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#2 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:46 PM

PROS
  • Lets solo players be involved in faction play without fear of running into a large organised group
  • Gives solo players some input into the evolving story of faction play
  • Different style of game mode that is already half developed in the training grounds
  • Introduces combined arms elements that can be re-used with future features
  • Still lets unit members and solo's mix
  • Doesn't matter if the players only have trial mechs
  • PSR level is not as relevant due to AI opponent
  • Can use all the existing standard maps
  • Could easily use the call to arms feature to gather players.

CONS
  • Does dilute the population a little in faction play (Though it's a great option for cadet players and those not ready for the full invasion and counter attack modes,)
  • ..... I can't think of any others

#3 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:30 AM

I'm going to raise this idea again as an option to add for faction play.
There didn't seem to be the numbers to split the solo/unit queue.
So why not an 8 player survival mode for solo players that fits in with faction play?
See the points above.

Edited by 50 50, 27 April 2016 - 04:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users