Get Rid Of Quirks...

25 replies to this topic

#21 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Well, modular quirks are already in the game in the form of fairly affordable modules for cooldowns, range enhancements, sensor thingies and whatnot.
But I see your point, although I did in no shape or form intend to campaign for cumulative ********** such as the scenario you just described. On the other hand.. put a single 3 million AC5 cooldown-quirk on a Wolverine today and you end up with a +42% DPS compared to an unquirked 'mech... Which is nice if you like Wolverines (like me), but perhaps less nice if you're setting out to make a balanced game.

#22 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

@AOM
which is why quirks need to go all together, the mod system as is I can understand even if I do feel like it should be taking up valuable Crit space & tonnage.

like for example the PPCs later on can have equipment that extends range but at the cost of heat, crit, & tonnage.
now if the mods took up actual space and tonnage then I would be all for it.

Edited by VinJade, 21 April 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#23 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostVeev, on 19 April 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

Can get rid of the arbitrary quirks and replace them with a system that we the pilots can adjust? Instead of seeing a mech on the battlefield and knowing its quirks, would it not be more interesting to not know?

The system I would propose uses the modules system. Add another type of modules. These modules come with a base set equipped, like current weapon systems. They can purchase other ones to change out. All current quirks are adjusted to modules and can be equipped. You can stack more than 1 on a mech but it offers diminishing returns.
IE 1st module offers 10% buff, 2 modules each offer 8%, 3 modules offer 7%, 4 modules are 6%, let them do that 5th module at 5% and lock it at 5 modules max to prevent the crazy from hurting themselves.

Assign weapon slots and ECM slots a value. Then to balance low slot mech's give them more quirk module slots that can be changed.
Omni-mechs are hard capped and cannot be changed.

This is a slap together idea and it can be better fleshed out, but it would make things more interesting.

But Veev.....I trusted you......don't you touch my damn quirks!

An interesting suggestion, but realistically, I don't think PGI would want to code in a whole new system and set of modules to replace the current one they already have. Hell they already decided to almost throw away quirks once, and yet they're still here for a reason =P

#24 Donald Trump Kerensky

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

I don't know about you guys but I sure do love fighting against mechs that have an extra 150 or more structure points than I do because of quirks just because my weapons do 2 points more damage!

I do like OP's idea though, maybe like a rigging system that eve has where you can give yourself some sort of jury rigged mech parts that give small bonuses to this and that. It would actually make sense realistically instead of mechs just having bonuses to this and that for no apparent reason other than balance.

Edited by Cauldronb0rn, 26 April 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#25 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

Quirks going out would have to be followed with huge ammounts of new weaponry, equipement, consumables, ammo types (which you can switch around in game) and semi omnipod mechanic for any non omni mechs so you can try different things with same mech (its like a car you, should be able to swap around any stuff, it just takes time, cash and effort).

If you ask me I would do the above without quirks removing part and just add specific quirks to pods and/or buff/change up (drastically, with bigger numbers) existing ones.

Black Jack Arrow is a beautiful example of amazing quirk (+30 Rate of fire on machineguns?) which defines the mech.
I wish there were more mechs like this. For example Mauler with +50% reduced uac5 jam chance and 30% reduced cooldown, etc. Numbers are outlandish but they are meaningful, whilst quirks in general atm are just there... and in most cases your feeling about them is : whatever.

We need more modules on cheaper prices and gxp cost. Like maybe Uac5 -20% jam chance decreasing module, LBx10 -30% spread decreaser.
There are tons of modules that could help and customize and give players the ability to have actual unique builds.
You want to pew pew away here are modules that go beyond stupid cooldown/range tweak.
- Heat decreasing modules for specific weapons,
- damage increasing ones,
unique modules like : srm quick loaders - chance on shot to have either jam or instant cooldoowned srm weapon so you have a chance to double tap srms,
- srm becomes target pointer following semi guided missles have longer range but increases cooldown,
- module that increases your speed when changing ammo type in your weapon (like smoke rockets, blind/flash rockets, armor piercing bullets to your ac which would deal bonus dmg to armor but reduced dmg to structure and explosive ammo which works the other way around),
- module that would pump your engine speed like a secondary speed tweak,
- additional armour module (for example additional 1 ton of CT armour - each additional ton slows your mech by x% should be exponentially increasing and really discouraging to put any additional armor, increases heat... whatever balances this out),

btw things like ecm/beagle/console command... should all take 1 slot and 0.5 ton i mean ffs you wanna tell me future computers are taking your whole goddamn room to fit in? gimme a break.

#26 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:04 AM

there is a reason BAP, ECMs, (C)AP, & (C)ECMs have weight and crit space as it isn't standard equipment that comes with the sensor package built into the mech already.

Edited by VinJade, 27 April 2016 - 10:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users