#21 Archon Adam Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 344 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

My word, that's not too blunt at all.

I suppose to follow up, it's good to hear that you intend to support RP and be competitive; I'd still like to know how you intend to achieve these things - i.e. what sort of RP activities, what sort of combat training for members, or levels of competency expected, but I can wait for details if the General fellow pops in.

Are all of your members (or most) located down your way, or are you gents fairly global?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

#22 Prince Ian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

We're definitely international. Several of our members are American, a couple of us are from Australia and I do believe there are a few Europeans. :(
I'll shoot a message across to Arturus for you! :)

#23 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSummer, Skye Federation

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostArrachtas, on 05 February 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

My word, that's not too blunt at all.

I suppose to follow up, it's good to hear that you intend to support RP and be competitive; I'd still like to know how you intend to achieve these things - i.e. what sort of RP activities, what sort of combat training for members, or levels of competency expected, but I can wait for details if the General fellow pops in.

Are all of your members (or most) located down your way, or are you gents fairly global?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Arrachtas, I will try and answer what Guillotine has already so capably responded with.

First off, as of now, as you have already seen on our website, we have posted our backstory we will need as MWO approaches launch. Think of what is up now as the skeleton of the club..the users/players will dictate the direction and activities we partake in. For RP foundations for the club, we have medals, ranks, patents of nobility, etc. and a very user custimizable profile system. So, basically, the amount of RP will up to each user/member. For example, my profile is intended to include my character's backstory in BT/MW. Some folks may want to put more RL info. It's up to you! Another example is our robust forums, chat pages, events calendar etc. Lina is already posting some nice fiction/historical info on our forums.

Also, our Roster and Teams/Units system will allow us to easily separate activities or roles with our various teams/units.

Guild-wide, as Guillotine stated, he and Ghost are already running weekly Wednesday evening runs in MWLL. As we get closer to launch we will obviously be ramping up as MWO isn't offering much during these early days of development.

Lastly, we have no geographic boundaries. I for example, hail from NJ USA.

Hope that answers your questions, but if not, shoot me a msg.

Thanks for the interest!

Edited by Arturus, 05 February 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#24 Archon Adam Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

"Think of what is up now as the skeleton of the club..the users/players will dictate the direction and activities we partake in."

Hmm... well, to me, that means that the group could end up being an awesome RP group, an awesome PvP group, both... or neither, depending on whether or not the members that get recruited end up being like. I would have assumed you had a specific plan (i.e. strong PvP backed up by good RP support) and would recruit to fill that concept, rather than letting who you recruit dictate the ends. I help run a pretty competitive RP/PvP/PvE guild in Star Wars: The Old Republic (there's a link on my profile), and I've run similar communities in the past, so part of my interest is to 'compare notes', as it were.

Maybe I read your explanation wrong? Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's very kind.

Edited by Arrachtas, 05 February 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#25 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

I have also had experience running guilds online...my first was the Emperor's Hammer (EH) back in Dec 1994. We are also running strong in TOR. Our club was the largest amateur Star Wars gaming club on the web back when TIE Fighter was only on disk version. We once had ~4,500 Members in its heyday. Now, we're at lower numbers these days with the loss of decent SW flight sims...but we already have our new 'TOR-centric" website up: (EH website). My name there is "GARonin".

In my experience in online gaming over the past 17 years, a gaming club should cater to the needs of its Members rather than the other way around...A kind of 'see where it goes' approach. But if you have success doing the opposite, by all means...have at it...! Posted Image

.../tiphat

Edited by Arturus, 30 April 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#26 Archon Adam Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I think it goes without saying that a strong vision matters; people want to know what they're signing up for. One could theoretically end up with a handful of RP'ers, a handful of really skilled and competitive players, a bunch in the middle, and then some peripheral people. Sure, it's diverse, but what if there aren't enough of each kind to really be active in their respective areas? What if the different types just don't see eye to eye? When one hires people for a job - or even just looks for people to join a social club - one generally has a good idea of the kind of people one wants - i.e. their skills, interests, and abilities, so as to ensure that everyone is "on the same field", as it were. To just recruit anyone that signs up (that sounds to be your current modus operandi) seems to pose a quandary; as aforementioned, what if your group ends up too diverse to be strong in any areas, or if your people are just too 'different' to co-exist? One could end up with a large guild, but one that isn't successful at anything because it's too diverse (diversity is great, but there is such a thing as too much, leading to a lack of focus). I've seen this sort of issue happen in some guilds where the hardcore RP'ers just don't "get" the hardcore PvP'ers, or vice versa. It's not the unanimous eventuality, of course, but without an overarching and unifying goal, it's entirely possible (and rather commonplace). I will grant you that perhaps I am just a cynic, in this regard.

I see a tonne of promise in what you guys are doing, so please do not interpret this is as criticism - I just think that we operate from fundamentally different premises. I respect the clear effort that you've put in, but I generally think that most people will want to know what your aims and goals are before they sign up, lest they end up in a group that doesn't really support their gaming style.

Thanks for the replies, they were most enlightening.

Edited by Arrachtas, 06 February 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#27 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

yep...that's why there are so many guilds out there...different perspectives.

All good.../tiphat

#28 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

I pointed this out on the Rangers' forum, but I thought it worth mentioning here.

With all the posts on the General Discussion thread re: the trailer, I'm not sure if anyone caught this....but that Atlas' paint scheme is awfully close to the parade scheme used by the Seventeenth Skye (red and black, gold highlights). And Eaglesham is a Skye March planet (Ryde Theatre, Accrington Command).

...Hmm. ;)

#29 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

The question would be why the 17th would be hotdropping onto their own planet. Counter attacking an invading force? Drills?

#30 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Our penchant for heavy and assault 'Mechs, while effective in battle, can occasionally leave us a bit...mobility-impaired. :) Certain Lyran regiments have used suborbital drops to compensate.

Edited by Lina Thoren, 29 February 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#31 Gucky

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

~S~

Gucky aka Behemoth of the 4th Skye Rangers reporting for duty.
Well at least that was my callsign in the glorious days of MPBT on Gamestorm, MPBT on AOL and later MPBT:3025 on EA.com.
Never liked what Microsoft did to the Mechwarrior franchise so didn't really play their games too much...

I hope the game will be as good as it looks and I will defend Skye until we all fall!

#32 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Welcome back, Gucky.../Salute

Hope to see you on the battelfields across the Inner Sphere shortly :huh:

#33 Gemini 10SR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

<SALUTE>
Gemini 10SR checking in. Have logged in to the Skye website and awaiting proper assignment.

#34 ReaperKane

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Joining shortly. <_<

#35 Reed496

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

Skye Rangers still looking for people to join?

#36 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yes, Reed...please hit the enlist button on the website and we'll get you signed up...

Cya soon! .../tiphat

#37 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostGattling Fenn, on 08 January 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Basically, Skye, are a bunch of little separatists who threw a hissy fit and were then promptly roflstomped.

I was just going through the old threads on this forum...

<looks at signature and Unit affiliation>

Oh God the irony of this post.

Posted Image

#38 Long Draw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hey, figured I'd run through the forums here and check out what is going on with the SR members and those who are looking to potentially find an organization that suits their play style and RP habits. I felt it was important to make mention of our latest efforts to improve the Skye Rangers website overall to increase the level of information available to all of our members so that they can easily get any questions they have answered so that they can get back to having fun.

Over the past few days, I have been meeting with Arturus and the other Junior and Senior Command staff and the various members that popped into the TeamSpeak channel we were chatting in at the time. We have been discussing a growing desire to not only increase the number of recruits, just like all of the other groups on MWO. BUT, more importantly, we want to provide our members with the opportunity to really show their stuff in areas ranging from commanding new lances, creating new logo's for SR line regiments, new ribbons and awards that our members can aim for, new mech information pages that are not only more visually amped, but also more detailed and more interactive.

Really, the list of improvements to the site goes on and on (Arturus is going to wish he didn't ask me to send my suggestions with the pages of comments I'll be compiling for him in the next couple weeks). But we need talented members in many different areas to include web site design, graphic design, audio remastering, video producers, tacticians and much more!

If you're looking for a terrific group to join up with and would like to do more than just watch pixels move on a screen, then by all means, enlist on our site and message any of the officers or the command staff and we'll tell you what we are looking to get done. Right now is a great time to join because with the NDA being lifted, we are poised to make a major revamping of the site for the entire MWO population!

I will also try to start a thread detailing the improvements and additions that we need help with on the Skye Rangers forum over at http://www.skye-rangers.net

#39 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

.../tiphat, Long Draw....all good ,my brother...thx! ;)

#40 Long Draw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

The thread is located at http://www.skye-rang...nization/page/1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users