No replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:05 AM

I am truly sorry to be negative. But I can't really white knight this. Imo tonnage change was the only big feature of this patch that really affects game play.

4x4 Scouting has nothing to do with scouting. It is 4x4 brawl mode. I saw the little blue/green light thingies from a distance, but never got near one as it was like most conquest mode games: a brawl in the center. So, a "new mode" to be sure, but only new in the scale of the fight. Nothing more.

Buffs and Nerfs. Some of these are just goofy. No need for discussion here, other threads of already addressed ad nauseam. One note, the BK structure nerf was a long time in coming, but honestly the drop in deck tonnage to 250 almost guaranteed that a lot of folks would stop running more than 1 anyway, so it was kid of redundant.

The whole career path business. Sigh. Long term loyalists, will just go Mercenary for a bit and renew contracts every 7 days to stay "loyalist" until most hit rank 10. Just create loyalist alts if attack lane voting is that important to you. Our unit is pretty casual and apparently didn't want to bother with this so we just went loyalist for now. Whatever.

Recruitment costs. Lot of blather about this in other threads. Not that big of a deal. We have like a 126 members and had a few old players returned last night. No a big deal to add them back (I think the cost was around 4mil each). I have to think other large units have the coffers to handle this as well. So if the goal was that this mechanism would eliminate large units, I just don't see it really being effective. (e.g. In TS: "hey everyone, x wants to join, need everyone to donate 100,000 c-bills to cover his fee"...or whatever).

Normal drops: What the heck is with waiting 10 minutes (as often the case before the patch) and then to be told after apparently getting a match to have a pop up "No servers are currently available. Try again later."? Seriously?
When we managed to drop, game play largely unchanged. Like the consequences of the scouting matches having an impact, but other than the long tom not a big deal.
Apropos: Long Tom... Given how most matches go, I think the LT will do more friendly fire damage than anything else. Can intentionally exploit by rushing in with a couple of sacrificial lights and get some friendly fire damage on the enemy when the thing drops. I have a feeling they will fix this sooner rather than later.

Seeing the enemy mechs is not a game changer Still mostly "planetary information unknown", but now we have a fellow giving us helpful guidance like "break through the enemy gates" for some reason. This new guidance however is certainly helpful, as we had always previously thought the goal was to mill around in front of them until the timer ran out. Helpful indeed!

Tonnage change did provide a note of distinction, in that it messed up some of our group who were not aware of the change. Shockingly, BKs had to be replaced with Grasshoppers and even a few Warhammers.

Phase 3: Its a whole new game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users