33 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Makes stuff learned in 1 mech give passive experience to another mech. The more variants that exist the more passive experience given.

Example, something with 3 variants, you can master 2 and pretty much already know the ins and outs of that particular mech, so when you start on the 3rd varient you'll already know 50% of the stuff in the third mech because its so similar.

If you got something with 8 variants, once you master 3 you pretty mech know everything there is to know, so the rest start off at 80% and you just need to learn the minute differences.

Dynamic scaling for passive experience can definetly be done and this would make sense because once you learn to ride a bike, you don't totally forget how to ride a bike when you get a new one.

Edited by ManDaisy, 15 February 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#2 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

All I care about is BANG

Hunchie variant 1 smack you down.

Hunchie variant 2 smack you down again.

Hunchie variant 3.....you gonna get up again?? oh NO you dont!

#3 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

I care about excess grinding thank you very much.

#4 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I can see playing all the available variants getting boring - particularly as some of the variants can require a very different playstyle. ie if you want a Catapult to provide indirect fire support for your Narc scouts - the 2K with PPC's is going to change what you do (and your usual position in the company) considerably. From what they said in the Q&A answers they may well do something along the lines that Man Daisy has suggested.

#5 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 15 February 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Makes stuff learned in 1 mech give passive experience to another mech. The more variants that exist the more passive experience given.

Example, something with 3 variants, you can master 2 and pretty much already know the ins and outs of that particular mech, so when you start on the 3rd varient you'll already know 50% of the stuff in the third mech because its so similar.

If you got something with 8 variants, once you master 3 you pretty mech know everything there is to know, so the rest start off at 80% and you just need to learn the minute differences.

Dynamic scaling for passive experience can definetly be done and this would make sense because once you learn to ride a bike, you don't totally forget how to ride a bike when you get a new one.

Man, we are just destined not to agree on things, lol!
So riding this - Posted Image

Is the same as riding this?
Posted Image

About the only thing those 'bikes' have in common is you sit on both of them.

when you start piling on modules, different weapons systems and pilot skills, I would argue the mechs will be very similar in differences.

and as a general rule in life -
No to dynamic anything on passive systems (cause there is no need).

Passive systems = passive scaling
Dynamic systems = dynamic scaling

***edits***
One more thing, how can you have too many variations? I was just thinking of some ways to make more of them.

Edited by Kaemon, 15 February 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#6 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

If you gonna argue symantics wth me... then feast your eyes on THIS!

10+ 10 + 10 = 30
10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 40
10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 50

Vs (assume . 25 passive)

10(.25) = 7.5(.25) = 5.37 = Total = 22.87

10 (.25) = 7.5(.25) = 5.37(.25) = 4.03 = Total =26.90

10 (.25) = 7.5(.25) = 5.37(.25) = 4.03(.25) = 3.02 =Total = 29.92

That Is what I mean. My meaning was that if you have a static passive exp rate, it should deal with any number of mechs you throw at it without having to change it. As the number of varients increases the extra exp needed per variant to go the next tier will become closers and closer to 0. Thus we have the luxery of a max exp needed to go the the next tier.

Edited by ManDaisy, 15 February 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#7 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

I see...numbers.

So you want to be done with the entire skill tree in about 2 weeks?

Is that what I'm getting here?

The definition of grind in an online game setting is to engage in a repetitive series of tasks that do not pertain to the storyline or functional aspect of the game.

I don't really see a grind here, at least not until we get it in BETA and start beating it up.

You can drive a '85 Volkswagon Jetta and then get into a 2012 model, you're not going to be as effective with all the options, just because you know where the gas and brake are.

That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Kaemon, 15 February 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#8 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Last time I checked Mechwarrior was about the thrill of the kill and having fun with your team mates. It wasn't about punching in on an 8 hour workday to someday play the way you wanted to play. Everything was there for you from the start and you didn't have to WORK just to play the full thing.

Edited by ManDaisy, 15 February 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#9 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

The other thing is that you would need to "skill up" in each mech that you want to pilot. I don't want to have to stick with one mech and it's variants. Plus many of us will only be playing for a few hours a week most of the time.

#10 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 15 February 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Last time I checked Mechwarrior was about the thrill of the kill and having fun with your team mates. It wasn't about punching in on an 8 hour workday to someday play the way you wanted to play. Everything was there for you from the start and you didn't have to WORK just to play the full thing.

Do you actually PLAY online games?

:)

#11 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Are you a slave to games? Yes I play online games, But I stop when they start to try and play me instead.

Edited by ManDaisy, 15 February 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#12 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 15 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Are you a slave to games?

Only the good ones. :)

#13 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 15 February 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I care about excess grinding thank you very much.

I care about the skill trees not being dumbed down too excessively, thank you very much. Noone forces you at gunpoint to go for all three variants in your example, if you make the call to do so, then you have to face the grind. Your call, and not a reason to turn it into a shallow Ez-Mode for the rest of us.

I don't fancy being able to speed through one skill tree in two weeks to be able to swing my E-Peen around after that. Just because someone thinks he's entitled to get everything served on a silver platter with not much effort on his part. For people with that kind of attitude other games might be better... I actually would prefer it to take really long, as in "months", to get one skill tree done finally. But then I guess I'm more concerned with a sense of achievement than instant gratification... :)

#14 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

The previous MechWarrior games were Single Player Campaigns with MP added. Please turn that coin over and see MWO. :)

#15 $imon Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 272 posts
  • LocationYour sisters house eating her cookie & drinking her milk

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 15 February 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

true but every one knows when u r given some thing u dont take care of it as u would if u earnd the right to use it an then worked (or in this case fight your arss off for it) then u will think 2 maybe even 3 time befor engaging some one who out wights u or out numbers u.....it like being rich parent that bought u a really nice brand new car when u turne 16 an u crash it or some one hits u....u end up thinking "o well my momy or dady will just get me a new one"

#16 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Actually I'll be clear with the point I'm taking to make. Perks in the back. Module expansions in the front. I don't care about +2% blah blah, I do care about using the modules and the module space. I dont want to have to work a mech for a month just to use a size 3 module.

#17 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 15 February 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

The previous MechWarrior games were Single Player Campaigns with MP added. Please turn that coin over and see MWO. :)

I do not understand this, please explain. Are you suggesting that we can see MWO now? (cuz that is what it sounds like you are)

#18 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 15 February 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

I do not understand this, please explain. Are you suggesting that we can see MWO now? (cuz that is what it sounds like you are)

OK. MW2-3-4 = SP +MP (Heads) MWO = MP - SP (Tails)

Better?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 15 February 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#19 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

wat? Oh MP = multiplayer SP = single player. MWO = Multiplayer - Singleplayer.

Edited by ManDaisy, 15 February 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#20 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

i do NOT think there should be any scaling or easy or faster way to level mechs with vast variant amounts

A. it would break xp balance if you did
B. it would lower the prestige for complete mastery of harder mechs
C. it would over all cheapen the experience by allowing players to skip distasteful (in their eyes) variants

A.
pilot points are gained by reaching mechXP milestones
if a pilot needs to level 3 variants for 30 points
any system that scales one mech over another beyond 1.0 grants them free xp
players should not get free unlocks simply because they ride a mech with many variants
especially if they never intend to use/ dont bother to try out said variants

B.
Mech1 = 3 variants
Mech2 = 15 variants
you are scouting and are hidden, you find an enemy mech facing away from you, you identify it as Mech1 running variant 2 with no distinguishing markings
you relay info back to team, new mech comes around corner and is heading in your direction
you identify new enemy as mech2, it gets a little closer/scans finish, you realize it is ELITE level 3

a enemy who has proven maximum mastery on a mech with 15 variants is moving right towards you
do you attack head on? relay info and stay hidden? run like the wind screaming for help over coms?

C.
a pilot who can make the claim of being the best Catapult pilot around is nothing but hot air with out proof
anyone can pilot a Catapult, but can everyone adapt to the change is play styles that swap LRMs for PPCs ?
can a pilot who Rides a centurion all day for 6 months expect to be just as power full when he swaps to a Catapult ?
a pilot who has Earned his Elite 3 rating on any given mech has proven that no matter what the situation he knows what that mech can do
and how to extract full performance from it
i am a Timberwolf pilot, i am very very good at maximizing that mechs potential
am i good with a summoner, sure i am, i am a very good pilot, but my brother who mastered the summoner would totally own me every time
if we had a Summoner Vs Summoner duel, even if my raw piloting skills and ability's are better than his
and its all because he knows how to draw every ounce of performance from that mech

experience should not give way to a cheap ride through XP scaling
i became good at my chosen mechs from playing the dogs out of them, every variant, every style, every idea
played , learned, tested
MASTERED
Some were liked , others not but the title of Master meant i could perform all roles very well in my given mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users