#1 Alioth Sternfeuer

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOver the Sea, on Skye

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hey folks,

I've gone through the patch notes, but I'm still not sure I completely understand the implications of being a solo loyalist versus creating a loyalist unit consisting of only myself.

As I understand it, solo loyalists cannot form faction warfare groups, and are placed into games exclusively with freelancers and other solo loyalists. They will never encounter grouped players in their Faction Warfare games.

If I were to form a Loyalist Unit consisting only of myself, I would then be matched into games with other Units, where the matchmaking has no preference of group size? So there could hypothetically be a match of 12 single solo units versus a premade of 12 players from the same unit? But, as a Loyalist Unit, I could form faction warfare groups with other Loyalist Units of the same faction?

If this is true, it would seem to me that forming a Loyalist Unit of myself would give me much more flexibility in queuing and reduce wait time for getting into games, at the expense of an increased likelihood of unfavorable lopsided matchups.

As a side note, I've been unable to actually get into any Invasion games as a Solo Loyalist, as there simply aren't enough people queuing (At least for Steiner, anyway).

Anyhow, just wondering if I was understanding the system correctly, and curious what others' experiences are with faction warfare queues so far.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Alioth Sternfeuer

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 20 April 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Possibly not the correct forum for this discussion, but I'll leave it for the moment - the people who frequent here seem to be well informed and well behaved.

And why do I have a Jade Falcon icon??? Now I have a question!

Sorry, I actually misclicked and put this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move it, I won't feel offended :)

#3 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostAlioth Sternfeuer, on 20 April 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Hey folks,

I've gone through the patch notes, but I'm still not sure I completely understand the implications of being a solo loyalist versus creating a loyalist unit consisting of only myself.

As I understand it, solo loyalists cannot form faction warfare groups, and are placed into games exclusively with freelancers and other solo loyalists. They will never encounter grouped players in their Faction Warfare games.

If I were to form a Loyalist Unit consisting only of myself, I would then be matched into games with other Units, where the matchmaking has no preference of group size? So there could hypothetically be a match of 12 single solo units versus a premade of 12 players from the same unit? But, as a Loyalist Unit, I could form faction warfare groups with other Loyalist Units of the same faction?

If this is true, it would seem to me that forming a Loyalist Unit of myself would give me much more flexibility in queuing and reduce wait time for getting into games, at the expense of an increased likelihood of unfavorable lopsided matchups.

As a side note, I've been unable to actually get into any Invasion games as a Solo Loyalist, as there simply aren't enough people queuing (At least for Steiner, anyway).

Anyhow, just wondering if I was understanding the system correctly, and curious what others' experiences are with faction warfare queues so far.

Thanks in advance!

You can create a unit that consists of only yourself (I did the same last night), and solo drop into PUG queues. When you create a Unit, you can take a contract with a faction for 7 days. Any games that you play in support of that faction will net you a bonus Cbill rewards. Other than that, you can still queue for matches for any faction in the attack/defense HUD. I took a contract for Davion, but did a couple scout drops for other factions. Being a solo unit merc is pretty much the same as how things worked in FW2, just with bonuses if you drop for a singular faction that you signed a contract for. As long as you are solo in your unit, you will only play against other solo players for queue drops in invasion matches.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostAlioth Sternfeuer, on 20 April 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Hey folks,

I am not sure if non unit players can form groups.

I am a unit player so I cannot test any of this but the patch notes specifically mentioned that if you form a unit of just yourself you will drop in the unit queue

I agree

I would guess the problem is everyone is testing out the new scouting mode

Thanks in advance!

you are welcome

#5 Alioth Sternfeuer

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostFobhopper, on 20 April 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

You can create a unit that consists of only yourself (I did the same last night), and solo drop into PUG queues. When you create a Unit, you can take a contract with a faction for 7 days. Any games that you play in support of that faction will net you a bonus Cbill rewards. Other than that, you can still queue for matches for any faction in the attack/defense HUD. I took a contract for Davion, but did a couple scout drops for other factions. Being a solo unit merc is pretty much the same as how things worked in FW2, just with bonuses if you drop for a singular faction that you signed a contract for. As long as you are solo in your unit, you will only play against other solo players for queue drops in invasion matches.

Helpful, but I'm specifically talking about forming a solo Unit as a Loyalist, not a Merc. As I understand it, the systems are different?

But then again, maybe they're not, and I'm just confusing myself.

Edited by Alioth Sternfeuer, 20 April 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostAlioth Sternfeuer, on 20 April 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Helpful, but I'm specifically talking about forming a solo Unit as a Loyalist, not a Merc. As I understand it, the systems are different?

But then again, maybe they're not, and I'm just confusing myself.

This is painful to admit but I would be ill informed to advise here, as one the system is new and two I'm the head of a merc unit and as such was already established as a merc without a faction until about 25 minutes later when I finally figured out how to align my faction/take a contract and how to get access to my seemingly invisible dropdeck.

That said: From what I do know about freelancers, they fill random loose positions in fights. There isn't a lot of those when the units are really active, however, leaving them with the potential for few if any matches over a period of time (just try to join them in between quickplay matches when urgent calls get put out).

Solo loyalists do the same as far as I can tell except for their faction. I do not know if they can get their own solo queue or not, though if they do then that would be a much better pro than con in my opinion. Random faction soloists are a lot easier to play with and against because unconventional tactics become much more common as does facing foes a la piecemeal. So easy to wipe them out that way and most of my mechs are made to take on several enemies at once. Shame I can't leave my unit to do that.

As a solo member of a unit... Interesting idea but you're seriously asking for hardmode here. This is assuming it can be done, I remember something about requiring a minimum of 12 members (back in CW Phase 1) in order to have the ability to start a new group (or a very limited amount of time to throw 12 members in before it gets deleted). If this is no longer the case, you could try it.

To me it depends on whether or not there's a separate solos only queue versus a group + filler queue. Either way to me the benefits seem to be in the solo loyalist either way unless -- if there is a solo only queue -- the solo only queue doesn't have enough players to start matches often enough.

#7 DragonForHire

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

From the patch notes:
Faction Play Solo Queue
The Faction Play Solo Queue is comprised of the following players:
• Freelancers
• Solo Loyalists
Faction Play Unit Queue
The Faction Play Unit Queue is comprised of the following players:
• Mercenary Units and Unit Members
• Loyalist Units and Unit Members
• Faction Play Groups

If this is true, then Solo loyalists *can* create/join groups, but that will cause them to go into the Unit Queue instead of the Solo Queue. And you can only invite players with the same faction alignment as yourself to the group.

As far as I understand it, the only difference between the being a Solo Loyalist and creating a unit of only one person as a Loyalist is that you will no longer have the option of going to the Solo Queue if you create the unit.

The only benefit to creating the unit would be gaining access to the Merc career path, which it sounds like you are not interested in that.

*Disclaimer - this is only my understanding based on reading the patch notes. I have obviously not tested any of it yet.

Edited by DragonForHire, 20 April 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#8 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

Trying to get to lvl 20, only being 60,000 LP short i have taken a loyalist FRR contract as a solo.

Now as a solo when i see games i drop and yes you play with only non unit players. The team you get can be a mixed bag from people in trial mechs having never played CW before to ultra comp types who have played 1000s of CW games.

There is no cost to make a unit with just yourself, but why would you do this, to get games. Sometimes in solo Q there are not enough players for games, especially not 12 players. I form my own unit with just me and see what the unit Q is like. Yes as a solo in a unit i can see units like Kcom, DERP, MS, 228 etc and possibly drop against a full 12 man, though this has not happened as yet, its mostly been small mixed groups on both sides. I do go to the FRR to at least join on TS with other FRR folk though, this does help in coordination.

There is also no cost to disband the unit so if i cant get a game in the unit Q, i disband and check out the solo loyalist Q again.

I have made my unit and disbanded it at 4 times already in the space of a day, chasing the quickest games.

View PostDragonForHire, on 20 April 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

The only benefit to creating the unit would be gaining access to the Merc career path, which it sounds like you are not interested in that.

For me the biggest benefit is chasing games, sometimes in solo loyalist there are not enough players for a full 12 so i make my unit and go the unit Q, or if i dont want to do 4v4, which seems to be the most played option in solo Q from my 1 day playing..

Edited by Ace Selin, 20 April 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#9 Alioth Sternfeuer

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 20 April 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

Trying to get to lvl 20, only being 60,000 LP short i have taken a loyalist FRR contract as a solo.

Now as a solo when i see games i drop and yes you play with only non unit players. The team you get can be a mixed bag from people in trial mechs having never played CW before to ultra comp types who have played 1000s of CW games.

There is no cost to make a unit with just yourself, but why would you do this, to get games. Sometimes in solo Q there are not enough players for games, especially not 12 players. I form my own unit with just me and see what the unit Q is like. Yes as a solo in a unit i can see units like Kcom, DERP, MS, 228 etc and possibly drop against a full 12 man, though this has not happened as yet, its mostly been small mixed groups on both sides. I do go to the FRR to at least join on TS with other FRR folk though, this does help in coordination.

There is also no cost to disband the unit so if i cant get a game in the unit Q, i disband and check out the solo loyalist Q again.

I have made my unit and disbanded it at 4 times already in the space of a day, chasing the quickest games.

For me the biggest benefit is chasing games, sometimes in solo loyalist there are not enough players for a full 12 so i make my unit and go the unit Q, or if i dont want to do 4v4, which seems to be the most played option in solo Q from my 1 day playing..

Perfect - exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 20 April 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

Now as a solo when i see games i drop and yes you play with only non unit players.

Now I am even more confused than ever as this goes completely against the last town hall and the patch notes.. which means that what was implemented is either not working as intended, or was changed at the last minute without patch note updates, or that the person writing the patch notes put in what Russ described at town hall and the devs built something different... ow, my head....

The way it was supposed to work was that any unit, even comprised of a single person, would only drop in the Unit queue.. however what Alioth describes here as his play experience is that his single man unit still dropped with non-units.... ow, my head....

Note, I personally prefer this current implementation since it would allow me and my mates to form solo loyalist single man units but still be able to drop with the solo queue FW. Although unfortunately since we favor different factions, we would never be able to drop as a group in the Unit queue if we ever wanted to since, huge penalties.

Edited by Morggo, 21 April 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostMorggo, on 21 April 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

Now I am even more confused than ever as this goes completely against the last town hall and the patch notes.. which means that what was implemented is either not working as intended, or was changed at the last minute without patch note updates, or that the person writing the patch notes put in what Russ described at town hall and the devs built something different... ow, my head....

The way it was supposed to work was that any unit, even comprised of a single person, would only drop in the Unit queue.. however what Alioth describes here as his play experience is that his single man unit still dropped with non-units.... ow, my head....

Note, I personally prefer this current implementation since it would allow me and my mates to form solo loyalist single man units but still be able to drop with the solo queue FW. Although unfortunately since we favor different factions, we would never be able to drop as a group in the Unit queue if we ever wanted to since, huge penalties.

what Ace was saying was that he can form or disband a 1 player unit with no cost, so if he cannot find a game in the solo queue he forms a 1 player unit, if he cannot find a game in the unit queue he disbands the unit becoming a solo player allowing him to search in the solo queue, that makes complete sense to me (except the fact that there should be a cost to forming a unit, or a few days cool down between leaving one unit and joining/forming another in my opinion).

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 April 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#12 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

Okay, I believe I am back to just slightly but manageably dazed... thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users