Game Mode Breakdown

18 replies to this topic

#1 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hi everyone, this is my first MWO Guide, so I hope it will do more good than harm. I will try to break down the elements of the new Scouting Game Mode

Please feel free to comment in this thread. I will try to get all the feedback in, if it fits somewhere.

Game Mode Description
Scouting is a 4v4 Game Mode, where one team tries to steal/gather Intel, while the others try to stop them.

The Scouting Drop Deck
Spoiler

Intel
Spoiler

Scouting (Gather Data) and Counter Scouting (Protect Data)

Data Points
Spoiler

The Extraction and the Transit Countdown
Spoiler

Strategies:
Spoiler

Win/Lose Consequences
Spoiler

Edit: Please move this post to the correct forum -> Faction Play ... sorry for the inconvenience
Edit 2: Learn to count ... if you say 4 trigger ... there should be 4 and not only 3 ... corrected.
Edit 3: Requiemkings concern included.

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 20 May 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Escalus Prime

Rookie

• The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for this!

#3 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

I just want to shamelessly plug my youtube channel by showing off this fun run I had in a Huggin;

After one night of play it is quite easy to see what the scouting meta is.. ..IS v IS you will see a lot of Griffins, Oxides, Firestarters, Spiders and Cicadas. Sometimes you get players with Ravens and Locust's too. Most other mechs have only made a brief appearance..

IS v CLAN, well all I hear about is the SCR meta.. ..so think that sums that up lol.
SRM's are your friend :P

#4 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

One mistake corrected.

Standing in the Extraction Zone alone can´t stop the Attackers from being victorious ... you have to keep them from entering the Extraction Zone at the end of the countdown.

#5 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Any thoughts on suggested mechs? I had my first taste of this mode yesterday, took an SRM6 + ML Hunchback SP, rest of the team I think was 2 Cicadas and something else. Enemy had two streak-crows, a Mist Lynx and a Cheetah, and they steamrolled my half of our team then murdered the other two at leisure. Is the answer to the question entirely relative based on the map or are some mechs actually better for this than others?

EDIT: I should really read other peoples' posts before I ask

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 23 April 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#6 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

The maps play a role, if you have to gather or defend and of course who you fight against.

IS vs Clan Gathering
Something like 4 fast ECM Mechs, like Spiders or even Cicadas should be good if you don´t want to fight. If you want to fight, 3 to 4 Griffons with ECM and one fast mech (for example the Oxide) could be ok.

IS vs Clan Defending
3 to 4 Griffons with ECM and one fast mech or something like that. But if the clanners run fast mechs, you could have a problem ...

and so on ...
I run with my Oxide most of the time. And if we go against clans, we mostly run like hell (if we are gathering) and then wait near the extraction zone. When the timer is nearly at 0, we run into the zone and hope for the best.
If we have to defend it is more like 3 Griffons and one Oxide ... works quite well ... if the clanners are using their StreakCrows. If they use other builds or mechs, especially faster mechs on Polar Highlands, we have a problem.

So it really depends on your enemy, your role, the map and what you expect them to bring.
Sorry that I can´t be more specific. And if you ask 10 people here on the forums, you would probably get 12 opinions, which mechs to take when, against whom and so on.

Edit:
If someone want´s to suggest mechs on specific maps or against specific factions, I would get them a spot in the OP.

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 23 April 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#7 d00mchild

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

Does anyone know if the Capture accelerator Module does any good for capping intel?

#8 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

What I would like to see, and what would fit perfectly in this nice work.. the 40 possible Spawn Points.. marked clear on every Scouting map..

#9 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostSky Hawk, on 02 May 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

What I would like to see, and what would fit perfectly in this nice work.. the 40 possible Spawn Points.. marked clear on every Scouting map..

Since some of the intel points spawn randomly, that would be difficult. Showing all possible spawn points would be somewhat meaningless. mwo.smurfy-net.de has a map of river city that shows possible intel points, possible extraction zones and team spawn point. With respect to smurfy, it is useless other than to show where no intel points are likely to be.

Gameplay: Stormcrows are not invincible but you will need teamwork and focus fire to have a decent chance of beating them. Targeting enemies to find weak spots, calling targets to facilitate focus fire are all critical actions. Again, Voip is key.

#10 Hrett

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

Ive had luck with both the Kintaro-18 and the Kintaro-Golden Boy, FYI. 5 SRM Hardpoints...

The HBK SP version isnt bad.

Oxides are op and need to be hit in the face and groin with the nerfbat.

EDIT: And as the above poster said, if you ignore everything else and take all crappy mechs, you can still win if you FOCUS FIRE ONE TARGET.

Really, it is the simpliest way to win and makes up for a lot of other shortcomings...

Edited by Hrett, 05 May 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#11 LorDGuilhotinA

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

As IS ii found out that a fast medium is perfect for scouting, either at 95kmph with heavy punch (ac10/lb10x + srms) or as i prefer, 110kmph with srm+ laser (my favourite mech is an Loup de Guerre 340XL 4xsrm4+2mpl, a shadow hawk 2k with 350xl, 3mpl+3srm4 works well too).

Strategy is getting intel till u find the enemy, group up and grind the legs.

the key to sucess is always stay togheter, dont ever engage the enemy alone.

#12 m2wester

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: You should go for short range weapons. Usually everyone is at least around 100kmh fast, so you close in on each other quickly and brawl. SRMs, medium and even small lases are the weapons of choice. Even if you actually manage to poke/snipe successfully, you just make it much easier for the enemy to focus fire on your team mates... in a 12 mech company with mostly heavies, a Raven is not missed from the front line. In a 4 mech scout lance, it is.

I suppose it's possible that there are long range strategies that work, but if so, only in coordinated teams. And I don't think I've seen any yet.

#13 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Scouting drop deck was updated with the hint for short range weapons.

#14 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

With respect to the OP, the desirable traits for your Dropdeck depends on which side of the battlefield you stand on. I find that, on Gather missions, speed and size are my best friends, as such I run the Mist Lynx, as it is fairly fast and is quite small.

#15 Dagonus

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

View Postd00mchild, on 30 April 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Does anyone know if the Capture accelerator Module does any good for capping intel?

I've been wondering that same thing. Anybody know?

#16 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

I don´t think they work, but I don´t know for sure ... so anyone should test this perhaps?

#17 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

AFAIK, they do not work on intel points but even if they did 15% of 3 seconds is 450 milliseconds which is about as long as it takes you to blink twice.

Just a thought.

#18 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:41 AM

About conquesting a planets.
Devs says:
Determining the Top Four Units in a Conflict
• Whenever a member of a Unit participates in a victory during a Conflict they earn one victory 'token' for their Unit.
Question: In a faction play do I get tokens for the scout games? I need to know if I need to play scout to get a planet.

Edited by ENOVA, 05 April 2017 - 04:42 AM.

#19 PantherPage

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

If I may, I'd like to add a simple strategy that helps, but only if you are the attackers.
You get to grab and go.
Sadly there is no real way to tell which way you will be playing before you click on the scouting mission button and can no longer make changes in you drop bay.

The strategy is to have one of your garb and go guys be a fast bugger. I would like to give credit for this idea, as I personally saw this played out by the infamous and crafty Backdoor Bandit.

Running at amazing speeds he was able to keep his distance until the final count down kicked in. Waiting until the last 20 seconds was when he sprang into action and like the Flash, zoomed into the drop zone for the victory.

The rest of us were just there to make as much a distraction, and assist with data extraction, but the true star was the super skill and amazing zoominess of the Bandit.

Some thoughts also come to mind.
1. As the speedster you can make it to the drop zone faster than the rest of the team, use this time to position yourself just far enough away to keep an eye on the drop zone, but close enough to run in on the last 15 seconds. Power down to make finding you that much harder useing the rocks, water and trees to camouflage your mech as much as possible. The rest of the team will put up token resistance, and then attempt to lure as many of the defenders away as they can. They will also, as long as they are alive, be giving you (the shut down, speedy mech) a count down so you can power up at the last seconds and like Mercury (Messenger of the Gods) deftly make your supersonic way to the victory.

2. Have your teammates assist in your hiding by positioning themselves in such a manner to draw the defenders attention away from you, especially if you are powered down. If you are sitting on the southern side of the drop zone, they should be north east or north west making the enemy put their backs to you.

3. Find the deep water as this will cover most of your speedy little mech, standing behind or near a rock of other obstruction will make you even less likely to be seen. Ask your team to verify that you are covered or need to adjust your position.

4. Legging is a big key, especially if you are defenders it is vital, but as the infiltrator it works to your advantage and allows you more time to reach the end zone for the game winning touch down.

This is just my crazy ranting. Using a lotus or other light mech, go with the highest speed and 4 med lasers, just so you can assist in the initial legging, make your adjustments from there.

Good luck

"For our honor and for House Steiner"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users