2 replies to this topic

#1 Vossiewulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo, CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

One of the drawbacks to coming to a game that's been around a while is that pretty much anything you think of has been thought of 14 x 10^27 times already and the horse isn't so much dead as beaten into its component atoms.

So I'm sure that's the case with this subject, just wanted to say going in that I'd be amazed if my take on it wasn't discussed long ago- but I still think this is one of the major drawbacks of this game and they need to find a solution to the Pinpoint Wars.

Also this is speaking as someone who is winning at those wars, I am annoyed if I don't beat a guy to the draw and I'm generally annoyed if my shots go anywhere but the section I was aiming at no matter the range or relative movement.

But the fact that I can do that is a problem, combat is not nearly as survivable as it should be, and that favors the least exposure possible, which favors alpha strike and dive for cover, which favors the 12 million pulse laser Jaguars and the like.

The obvious solution is to remove the auto-instant convergence, it doesn't make sense even compared to other BT conventions that don't make sense.

There should be two options for convergence:

1) Manual - it works like a trim tab in a Cessna, you have up/down buttons or a slider. This would become a skill in itself in the game, and you'd be surprised how quickly you can adjust your trim despite lots of other noisy stuff going on in the cockpit. And people will get quite good at it, but they will be a minority and even then they'll never achieve the effortless Choose A Component shooting we have now, and zillion-laser builds will become much less effective.

2) Targeting Computer - if you carry a computer, it will converge the weapons on the range of the target given X seconds, with bigger and better ones doing it faster. This could be balanced to be a tough choice between carry more weapons that miss more or fewer weapons that hit more, and where I want them to. IS would need more than one choice.

And speaking of targeting computers, would be excellent if there were other features as well that would allow making several from different manufacturers available at any given size. Features like marking exactly where fire is coming from in the HUD, or highlighting every team member or enemy in view if you hit a key, little things like that could differentiate the choices and offer something cool that's not unbalancing cool. That would be very lore according to what I know.

Ok so anyway that's my two cents, off my chest now, I'm sure someone will now tell me yeah we argued that out in 2012 and this is why it can't be done. Grumble.

#2 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

This has been talked about for ages, AGES I tell you. I think the community is particularly exhausted, unfortunatly, and I understand the frustrations, believe me. MANY people would agree with you, but:

I believe the statement was, that the current game engine just can't do anything about it. They've tried overly-complicated mechanics like the lock-on-laser mechanic of last year, and they've all tested negatively with the community, or were just bad.

#3 Captain Mittens

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Can't we just make it so if you lock a target, your ballistics will converge at its distance. Maybe have a settings menu like "Set Convergence to Target". Otherwise if you havn't locked your target it'll just converge like normal?

Or we add a button that will temporarily hold convergence, so you can mouse over your target, press and hold a button, and then shoot? Maybe make it a toggle.

Edited by Captain Mittens, 23 April 2016 - 06:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users