Gameplay

103 replies to this topic

#21 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Maybe I'm replying too much to this thread, but I thought it worth pointing out just how Overwatch really is different from other shooters out there:

For the long read, check this article out:
https://www.vg247.co...ch-beta-review/

For the somewhat short-ish short summary, Overwatch is the first FPS I've played with a true emphasis on teamwork. Either you team wins or it loses. There is no personal glory. Try looking for an in-game scoreboard on how many kills you did. You won't find one - not even at the end of the match.

What you will see at the end of each match is a short video of the 'play of the game' which usually tends to be a moment when one player was able to quickly take down a large number of the enemy team within a short period. I would really prefer if they could pick out other more game-defining moments that aren't just about kills, but it would be a little too complex to pull off so I can forgive Blizzard in that respect.

It also highlights the 4 best performances in the match which would usually be 2 players from each side unless one side really did that badly in which case they will only highlight 1 while the other side gets 3. This selection is not necessarily based on kill count, but also on amount of health killed, players teleported or shielded, damage absorbed as a tank, etc. Players can than vote for who they think was the MVP who will than get bonus XP to level up (its just a number, although each level does get you a loot box).

Interestingly enough, the player highlighted in the video might not even make this last 4, nor is kill count respected. I was once highlighted as the hero with the most solo kills and the highest % of participation in team kills. Nobody voted for me...hmmph. On the other hand, well-played support and tank characters get much love from the community and will often get the vote should they be highlighted.

Contrast that to MWO, where your final dmg tally is really all that matters, and pleas for increased rewards for scouting roles fall on deaf ears. That Atlas who charged in and brawled with the enemy contributed more to the team than the one who hung back using LRMs, yet guess who gets the higher score in the end? It would be nice if this game will give recognition for dmg tanked, but nooo...

This...is how Overwatch is different from all the FPS out there like COD, CS:Go, TF2, etc. An actual focus on team play instead of personal glory. If you're trying to show off what a l337 player you personally are, that just isn't going to happen here in Overwatch, because nobody cares.

#22 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

Don't preorder. Wait for release and reviews first. Then decide. Besides it's not like your mwo stuff goes anywhere when you take a break.

#23 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostElizander, on 21 April 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

I parted ways with Blizzard products when they slashed their customer support quality after years of subscribing to WoW. The only reason I played D3 was my brother gave it to me for free and I got $500 selling stuff on their real money auction house while it was still a thing. I don't really have any strong urge to play Overwatch, especially with the cost. I'd much rather buy a Clops pack later when I free up some cash. Posted Image

I also turned my back on Blizzard when this happend, they also nuked my Account with all my old games one it and pretty much told me i havent spent enough recently to warrant anything support wise.

So i havent bought a game from them since. Overwatch looks meh, i think i played a game like that once it was called Borderlands.

#24 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

Overwatch is pretty fun, even for casuals.
Itll be a big big game, expect the full esports treatment, which is why the old farts here detest it before playing it.

#25 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:38 PM

Sorry to say but you CAN'T compare MWO with Overwatch. It's totally, TOTALLY, not the same.. Like duh, O B V I O U S L Y..

#26 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 21 April 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Overwatch is pretty fun, even for casuals.
Itll be a big big game, expect the full esports treatment, which is why the old farts here detest it before playing it.

HAHAHA. :) :) :) Comedian. I think, Overwatch may be WORSE than "The Division" (AKA, The Fail :)) I cant be certain that its worse than The Division because that is really hard to be worse than.

Nothing against Ubisoft, I wish them the best. Looking forward to their next project.

There is 4 or 5 fairly big budget games coming out this year and most likely tons more that are going to face plant.

The top games are really going to put many second and third rate games far behind. The industry is changing in a lot of ways.

The top ten games will be so far ahead of the pack that the rest will be operating with severely restricted budgets. It may be a while before there is something of quality that can break into the market. I can name all the top 10 games and I really think MechWarrior Online is one of them.

Best games of 2016-2017 in my opinion:

FF XV
Cyberpunk 2077
Mass effect Andromeda
Fallout 4
Kenshi
For Honor (maybe, maybe not)
MechWarrior Online
FF VII
Star Citizen (maybe, maybe not)
Titanfall II

There is very likely one or two unknown that havn't been announced yet.(Ubisoft has one in the works I think) The rest are in big trouble and being left far behind. So far behind they are not even in the running any more.

The new Battletech game looks really good to in all honesty but its coming from way behind and is not well known. Mirrors Edge Catalyst looks so good but it wont have the depth or staying power needed, which is sad.

Aside from VR the biggest change to the industry is that these games will have staying power, such as multiple endings, DLC, customization, online aspects. This will further squeeze out the lower quality/throw away games.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 April 2016 - 12:54 AM.

#27 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

Not going judgemental on people, but I couln't play a game with a setting created on the basis of taking a lot of completely unrelated franchises and mixing them in a blender. To me, such game setting doesn't have a soul nor depth nor logic nor consistence. It's such a blend the next heroes added could be Jesus shooting nails from his palm wounds and an anime japaneese schoolgirl shooting lasers from her eyes and it wouldn't make the setting less ridiculous it already is.

#28 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Very different games, preorderd OW, but I would hardly place them in the same basket

MWO is an FPS where half your fight happens in the mechlab and the rest is almost a turn based speed level fight, versus a quick twitch reflex based shooter that is OW

They both scratch a different itch

#29 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:14 AM

Overwatch looks like a fun (albeit repetitive) little game.
For my tastes, it's the kind of game i could play for 15-20 hours and then get bored of.
I prefer MWO, because MECHS (yeah, i know that in Overwatch there is a "mech" character).
Mechs trump any generic fast paced shooters.
This is completely irrational and based on my love of giant robots. I just love watching mechs fight, it's what keeps me playing this game. I can watch (and play) the deadly dance of a Timber Wolf with a Black Knight one thousand times and still enjoy it.
How many times can i watch a knight (or a fat guy, or a cyborg ninja, or whatever) fight a gorilla before i get bored? Not many.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 22 April 2016 - 12:15 AM.

#30 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:19 AM

Overwatch looks like a clone of Borderlands 2.

Duno what's up with blizzard but they've seriously been dropping the ball lately.

#31 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostChewBaka, on 21 April 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

I often wonder where these sort of remarks and biases come from.
Some of the most popular heroes being selected in Overwatch are not at all sexy unless you are turned on by deformed mutants or a big fat human with a potbelly.

Posted Image
Do you find me sexy, baby?

I don't want to go too far down the #gamergate route, but I think your argument shows an inherent bias in gamers. You will notice that I was talking about the way females are presented in this game, and your counter-argument was "But there's a fat guy in the game". To which I would ask: "How many female characters are there? How many of these belong in the amazon warrior supermodel category? And how many female characters are fat mutants? How many male characters are sexualized, relatively speaking?"

But I wasn't simply talking about the gender stuff. There's a robotic gorilla in the game. There's a fairly cliché representation of the Grim Reaper, known as... the Reaper. There's a funny dwarf and there's a cowboy gunslinger. It's basically just a pot-pourri of the kind of characters that are easily accessible and popular among younger players, with no real connection or overall theme. Even if you look away from the sexy women (and... the big pink robot containing a sexy woman), you still have rather the kind of characters that typically appeals to the younger demographic. "Let's have a robotic gorilla fight a bearded dwarf."

I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying they mashed together a bunch of easily recognizable, popular characters from some of the most mainstream games and movies in fantasy and sci-fi, aimed at a younger audience.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 22 April 2016 - 12:47 AM.

#32 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 22 April 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Duno what's up with blizzard but they've seriously been dropping the ball lately.

It's nothing like borderlands

Single player story focused vs team play multiplayer

As for dropping the ball I disagree, D3 was a great success, millions of copies sold and despite some people having nostalgia glasses on saying it's worse than D2, it's really better.

HoTS - sucessful and growing moba with millions in tournament winnings possible

OW being likely the next big team shooter that will likely cannibalize from many fps franchises especially the tired COD

#33 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 22 April 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

It's nothing like borderlands

Single player story focused vs team play multiplayer

As for dropping the ball I disagree, D3 was a great success, millions of copies sold and despite some people having nostalgia glasses on saying it's worse than D2, it's really better.

HoTS - sucessful and growing moba with millions in tournament winnings possible

OW being likely the next big team shooter that will likely cannibalize from many fps franchises especially the tired COD

-Diablo 3 isn't a recent release.
-Heroes of the storm is a defense of the ancients clone.
-Overwatch is like a clone of another FPS game I can't remember the name of. Thought it was borderlands 2 but nope?
-Legacy of the Void was a big step down in quality over the 1st and 2nd installments of the SC2 series.

Blizzard has nothing new or original, only clones of existing products, the quality of their games is declining.

Yeah they definitely are going downhill.

OW might have decent exposure at first due to brand name recognition but it'll be like titanfall people will get tired of it very quickly, it has no replay value.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 22 April 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#34 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 22 April 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

OW might have decent exposure at first due to brand name recognition but it'll be like titanfall people will get tired of it very quickly, it has no replay value.

There are plenty of successful games out there that have what you would call little replay value.

#35 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:34 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 22 April 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

-Diablo 3 isn't a recent release.
-Heroes of the storm is a defense of the ancients clone.
-Overwatch is like a clone of another FPS game I can't remember the name of. Thought it was borderlands 2 but nope.
-Legacy of the Void was a big step down in quality over the 1st and 2nd installments of the SC2 series.

Blizzard has nothing new or original only clones of existing products, the quality of their games is declining.

Yeah they definitely are going downhill.

DOTA is a clone of a warcraft mod and warcraft is a blizz game, so no, they're not copying anything, it's the other way around

If you had any knowledge of blizzard universe you'd see how many characters DOTA borrowed from it

+HOTS is way faster paced than DOTA, you have team engagements since level 1, it removes the busywork of 30min farming the same mobs ver and over until you can move on to towers.

Talents replace Items, so this is sort of identical

Map objectives and map count, HOTS had more variety on day 1 than DOTA had after years of development.

Unless you spent thousands of hours in DOTA and you simply too invested to even try something else, there is no reason to choose DOTA over HOTS, since it's faster, looks better and has the same strategy depth (yes leaning item combinations in DOTA is nothing but busywork, busywork is not strategy) due it's much more dinamic maps and more unique heroes.

+ you won't learn fluent CYKA BLET playing hots that fast

Edited by DovisKhan, 22 April 2016 - 01:36 AM.

#36 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostDovisKhan, on 22 April 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

DOTA is a clone of a warcraft mod and warcraft is a blizz game, so no, they're not copying anything, it's the other way around

Posted Image

#37 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:29 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 22 April 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

There are plenty of successful games out there that have what you would call little replay value.

This is a good point. But with the market being saturated, because its worth billions, games are having to step up their product. Budgets are getting larger and larger for the top games. Even the prices of the top games are rising. Fallout 4, 70 dollars, with seasons pass 70 dollars, total 140. Without seasons pass its like 190 dollars. This is well worth the money to... I cannot over state that enough. Its been a long while since that has happened.

Point being the top end and bottom end are getting further and further apart. The top end is offering massive quality immersive content, customization, DLC, and replay ability. This is far from the product many games are offering.

Players will be more loyal to the quality games as a result.....

So this is a big change in the industry. Banks will follow this change eventually and wont be backing sure fails for long. At least not with a lot of money.

The biggest test if this is true or not will be shown by Mass effect Andromeda. Will it have staying power? Will the ending be ruined like Mass Effect 3 or multiple endings like Mass Effect 2? Quality of online components? Quality of DLC? etc. If they feel they can afford to be a one play through game or not.

A few sure things are Fallout 4 already set a new standard and CDPR will be offering something amazing with Cyberpunk 2077, FF XV is setting a new standard as well.

All 10 of those games mentioned above are going all in. Next gen.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 April 2016 - 02:55 AM.

#38 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:51 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 April 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

I don't want to go too far down the #gamergate route, but I think your argument shows an inherent bias in gamers. You will notice that I was talking about the way females are presented in this game, and your counter-argument was "But there's a fat guy in the game". To which I would ask: "How many female characters are there? How many of these belong in the amazon warrior supermodel category? And how many female characters are fat mutants? How many male characters are sexualized, relatively speaking?"

But I wasn't simply talking about the gender stuff. There's a robotic gorilla in the game. There's a fairly cliché representation of the Grim Reaper, known as... the Reaper. There's a funny dwarf and there's a cowboy gunslinger. It's basically just a pot-pourri of the kind of characters that are easily accessible and popular among younger players, with no real connection or overall theme. Even if you look away from the sexy women (and... the big pink robot containing a sexy woman), you still have rather the kind of characters that typically appeals to the younger demographic. "Let's have a robotic gorilla fight a bearded dwarf."

I'm not saying that it's wrong, I'm just saying they mashed together a bunch of easily recognizable, popular characters from some of the most mainstream games and movies in fantasy and sci-fi, aimed at a younger audience.

Oh, I absolutely agree with the kitschy nature of Overwatch. I'm just disagreeing with your point on that its sexualizing female characters. Plus you were also implying that the player base will pick their heroes based on how sexy they look, and that is just ridiculous and baseless.

Have you seen their full hero list?

http://overwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Heroes

Note the Female Hero who is essentially Iron Man, and the Bespectacled Nerdy Asian Girl. Yes yes, stereotypes...but are they sexy? The only really 'sexy' character is Widowmaker, and she's quite tame compared to the average comic superheroine. The girl with the big pink robot? Please...if she's sexy, you need to turn off your TV and unplug the internet less you accidentally watch some anime.

I am aware of the sexualization of the female form in the video game industry, but Blizzard is probably one of the lesser culprits at this point after the chainmail bikini scandal in WoW some time back. Ever since than, female armors in WoW aren't much different from the male versions and they have been careful not to make overly skimpy outfits for their characters.

But of course females are going to be made to look mostly attractive. The same also applies to males. For the most parts, movie and tv actors are usually good looking and attractive. Are you expecting any different from the video game industry?

To be perfectly frank, its not easy in this day and age to make a game that's going to have original characters. Is there anything anyone hasn't seen before by now? Also, the same accusation can be levelled at DOTA, LoL, and more than a few other games out there.

What matters mostly is gameplay, and they did manage to turn out something different and fun.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 22 April 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

Except its not. It just looks like it in art style, but it plays like TF2 with a dose of MOBA skills thrown in.

Open Beta is coming up next month. Its worth a try. Its free.

Uunless, of course, your B.Net account got banned for some reason. I don't know how and why it happens to people. Mine is fine all this while. It did get locked some time back due to suspicions of account sharing but I cleared it up quite quickly with little fuss.

Whatever people might feel about Overwatch, I do think that MWO could definite take this one idea from Overwatch regarding the end game system. I have always been unhappy that MWO places so much emphasis and on dmg done with everything else just a sideline minor c-bill bonus.

I honestly think we would benefit from a page from Overwatch. We don't have to do away with the dmg screen entirely but maybe it should only be in the background or for personal view only. I would rather the final screen also place an emphasis on other factors, such as:

Most succesful NARCs
Longest TAG duration
Most enemies spotted
Most backstab kills
Most time spent capping (conquest only)
Most cap denials
Most dmg dealt with air/arty strike (lights are more likely to catch the enemy team in a cluster than others)
Most dmg tanked (reason to mount STD engines and torso twist)
etc. (whatever else you guys can think of)

And also give appropriate XP and c-bill rewards plus points (sizable, not the pathetic 1k or 2k we get right now_ so that its possible for a light to have a higher score than an assault despite doing less dmg.

This might encourage a greater emphasis on teamwork, and perhaps encourage a more balanced lineup instead of the 60-80% heavies we see all the time. Plus give lights a reason to carry TAG and NARC instead of having LRM boats grumbling where all the locks have gone.

#39 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 21 April 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Not sure I need two FPS in my life... I spent quite a lot on MWO, more than I realize and more than I care to admit Posted Image

But Overwatch looks so fresh... and is backed by a top tier developer.

I don't see anything fresh about Overwatch. The only thing it really has going for it is character design. That being said Blizzard has a lot of money to throw around so they can push out product, but if I am to be honest I don't really consider them to be a top tier developer anymore. Most of the people that made them great are long gone.

#40 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

View Posthybrid black, on 21 April 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Crossout

YES!!!!!

Oh that game is fun, it's a combination of Chromehounds and Mad Max.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users