Change "quick Play" Into A Piece Of Faction Warfare

8 replies to this topic

#1 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

Suggestion: Make the quick play option into a part of faction warfare and not its own independent game. Similar to the new Scout matches but not dependent on choosing a planet queue and 12v12 (could also be 4v4 or 8v8, just allowing heavier mechs than scout play does), just first available for your faction. You can call it "Raid".

At low population times this could be a clan vs IS match (not mech dependent like in formal faction play) and at higher population times it is your faction vs another faction and, either way, it grants a similar buff as Scout matches do on whatever world it is decided to play on.

Just a rough idea to try and bring "quick play" into the fold, not trying to change any of the other game mechanics in quick play other than maybe team composition.

Thoughts?

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Uhm... no... just no... I'm sick of Lore Zealots deciding to shove Role Play and such down everyone else's throats, and I'm sure many others are as well. It's killing a game that could have been fun for all. :angry:

~D. V. "It's also a chunk of what is making me angry about the changes to the rest of Faction Warfare as well." Devnull

[Edit by author for a missed thought.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 22 April 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#3 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

@DV
if they didn't like it then they shouldn't be using BATTLETECH because LORE is integrated into every PART of it be it PC, PS, net, ect.

You don't like it then go play some other stompy game like Titan Falls.

so maybe you should THINK about that next time you wish to b**** & moan about 'lore zelots'.

if PGI doesn't like it then they should stop using battletech as a way to draw in players and to turn it into another basic generic stompy robot game.

#4 D V Devnull

• 4,266 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostVinJade, on 22 April 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

@DV
if they didn't like it then they shouldn't be using BATTLETECH because LORE is integrated into every PART of it be it PC, PS, net, ect.

so maybe you should THINK about that next time you wish to b**** & moan about 'lore zelots'.

if PGI doesn't like it then they should stop using battletech as a way to draw in players and to turn it into another basic generic stompy robot game.

There are ways to do it without caving in to the damned Rabid Lore Junkie Zealots. You can put the Lore up without force-feeding it at people. You can even make it visible to read without letting it limit game design too dogmatically. No, I'm not looking for MWO to change into some "Pop Boutique", because that kind of junk would also cause me to leave. BTW, no "[bleep] & moan" going on here at all, just standard anger at knowing the right path and watching the world go down the sewer pipe instead. -_-

~D. V. "I see far, while the world has blinders on..." Devnull

#5 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

@DV,
I do apologize for the harshness of my tone.
BT the lore is every part of the game, and it isn't like they are force feeding anything they just want a full immersion of the game and that means inclusion of the lore and how things should be handled.

its like how some would love to have it where the Clans could bring their max forces and then bid to see which clan gets to fight, ect.

I guess in the end when we see pgi claim to be a 'battletech' game then they are obligated to abide by lore if not its false advertisement.

all of the other MW games at least did their best to abide by lore in some form or another, such as the old DOS MW they had Lorn Coleman write the script, then MW 3, MW 3PM, & MW 4(some of it) all written by Lorn Coleman and did it in such a way that it made sense.

Here we have a game that has no story what soever, and we barely see Clans as they should be seen or dealt with accordingly.

in all honesty I think it would make it interesting for faction wars to see which clan would actually win the right to fight for that planet.

#6 D V Devnull

• 4,266 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostVinJade, on 22 April 2016 - 02:07 PM, said:

@DV,
I do apologize for the harshness of my tone.
BT the lore is every part of the game, and it isn't like they are force feeding anything they just want a full immersion of the game and that means inclusion of the lore and how things should be handled.

its like how some would love to have it where the Clans could bring their max forces and then bid to see which clan gets to fight, ect.

I guess in the end when we see pgi claim to be a 'battletech' game then they are obligated to abide by lore if not its false advertisement.

all of the other MW games at least did their best to abide by lore in some form or another, such as the old DOS MW they had Lorn Coleman write the script, then MW 3, MW 3PM, & MW 4(some of it) all written by Lorn Coleman and did it in such a way that it made sense.

Here we have a game that has no story what soever, and we barely see Clans as they should be seen or dealt with accordingly.

in all honesty I think it would make it interesting for faction wars to see which clan would actually win the right to fight for that planet.

Kind of like the "Refusal War" as indicated by 'MechWarrior 2'? (BTW, who handled the lore writing for that game anyway?) :huh:

Also, I'm not saying to abandon the lore either, as I do like having it to read and coincide. I'm just saying not to let it run rampant and over-control everything, kind of like with how the earlier games avoided that particular issue. You get what I'm saying, right? :)

~D. V. "I think I see where you're going with that, but I'm not sure?" Devnull

#7 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

View PostKatotonic, on 22 April 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

Suggestion: Make the quick play option into a part of faction warfare and not its own independent game. Similar to the new Scout matches but not dependent on choosing a planet queue and 12v12 (could also be 4v4 or 8v8, just allowing heavier mechs than scout play does), just first available for your faction. You can call it "Raid".

At low population times this could be a clan vs IS match (not mech dependent like in formal faction play) and at higher population times it is your faction vs another faction and, either way, it grants a similar buff as Scout matches do on whatever world it is decided to play on.

Just a rough idea to try and bring "quick play" into the fold, not trying to change any of the other game mechanics in quick play other than maybe team composition.

Thoughts?

the one problem here is mixed tech... If you are an IS Loyalist and you want to play Clan Mechs the only place to do so is the QP-Queue. take that away and you are denying a large portion of content to IS-Pilots and vice versa to Clan Pilots. I don't think thats a good Idea.
Or put it the other way, if you'd allow mixed tech in the FW integrated QP-Queue, why is it okay to run mixed tech there and not in the actual FW games. That would mess with the Lore that RP affectionate Players like and kinda screw with the whole charm of FW.
So no... this should not happen, and I don't believe it ever will

#8 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostVinJade, on 22 April 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

@DV

Multiplayer in previous mech games never had anything to do with lore. You picked a mech, customized it, got in a game with people, and shot the hell out of them.

I am all for Battletech lore in the Mechwarrior video games, however the Quick Play queue needs to stay as what it is. Some people just want to get in, play, and have some fun without worrying about the Faction Play hardons getting on their asses about not playing well enough and not contributing to the faction.

As someone who plays both QP and FP, as well as hoping the Scouting missions work well and are tweaked properly (decent as it but could use adjustment) I would prefer them separate. QP is where I go to relax and have fun with different mechs (including IS) and FP is where I drop in my faction mechs with specific builds and organized play. Folding QP into FP would ruin that and also oppress the restriction of IS/Clan tech onto the entire game, just no.

Leave them alone.

#9 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

we have been talking about Faction warfare nothing more.
That is normally the problem, as to the other stuff you pointed out, they never claimed to be a 'battletech' game ether, and yes lore should be a big part of MWO.

if you play a faction then you should know the history & what the gist of the house/clan they are joining and not do it cause it 'looks cool' or something like that.

Hell MW 4 even did their best to cover some of the lore as did MC and they never claimed to be a 'battletech game'.

MWO doesn't even give a bare bones info on everything that goes on in their training program, just replace clans & IS and battlemechs to mecha & some other faction name from any game and you would never know the difference.

Again net play that has nothing to do with it if they are not claiming to be a battletech game so doesn't count and shouldn't be used in this conversation as it has nothing to do with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users