Instead Of Nerfs, What About Total Drop Weight Cap?

6 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

I have not been able to play scout mode yet, and just have been reading lots of hype.. So funny to see all these mechs that you rarely ever saw or in these configs getting OP/nerf calls.. But really that is not what this is about..

I wonder, and to me it does make since, as this is suppose to be "scout" mode.. Why not cap group drop weights? Is it because of the way the match maker works? Or is it something more?

My thoughts on it, are why not cap it at 180-200? Limit the amount of 55 toners, and making lights a needed aspect. I am not saying this as someone scared of a 55 ton lance, and SCR's or griffins.. But honestly it makes me feel that we would get lots more variety in drops.

Just like in the normal CW, its not all assaults or all heavies all the time. Just a thought.. as i defiantly don't want to see it capping out 55 ton mechs, like all the posts saying cap at 45, or cap at 50 ect.., but at the same time, i don't feel that a full lance of 55 toners, is in the spirit of a "scout" mode.

thoughts?

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:34 PM

What you are suggesting is entirely irrelevant because people just select their scouting mech before a scouting mission then swap it out for their normal invasions.

EDIT:

oh wait, you are suggesting that the 4 person team have 180-200 tons total weight.

Might be a bit difficult for the system to get matches with a restriction like that considering CW isn't the fastest queue anyway.

Edited by Dakota1000, 22 April 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#3 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:45 PM

yes, i am talking about the 4 man scout lance drops.. Not normal CW que.

#4 TyphonCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

Honestly I think it's working out fine the way it is. It hasn't even been a week

I'm not at all for lowering tonnage or tonnage limits. That will make the MM even harder to find games.
"This mode is for lights and mediums. Except these mediums. They're too strongk" Come on....

People will find counters, and counters for the counters. What it comes down to the is the balance discrepancy at these weight classes

#5 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 22 April 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

"This mode is for lights and mediums.

Apparently that was the plan but from all accounts if you want to get anywhere in scouting mode you bring 4 55 tonners. Draw your own conclusions.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

View PostChapeL, on 22 April 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

Apparently that was the plan but from all accounts if you want to get anywhere in scouting mode you bring 4 55 tonners. Draw your own conclusions.

This is pretty much what i am talking about, It's kinda turned into the medium que, not the light/medium game mode that i think was really intended. I realize that it hasn't even been a but a few days, but you can see a trend here. Though i do wonder if just lowering it would make it the 40-45 ton que

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 22 April 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

Honestly I think it's working out fine the way it is. It hasn't even been a week

I'm not at all for lowering tonnage or tonnage limits. That will make the MM even harder to find games.
"This mode is for lights and mediums. Except these mediums. They're too strongk" Come on....

People will find counters, and counters for the counters. What it comes down to the is the balance discrepancy at these weight classes

Maybe the title of the post lead you to think i was saying 55 ton mediums are to strong.. But honestly that is as far from what i think as you can get..

Perhaps instead of weight limits on the group, make teams 2 and 2.. You'd have your people in lights waiting, and people in mediums.. I don't think that would slow it up that much, unless you really think light pilots are just that rare, that everyone would be waiting in mediums. But if that was the case, i would have to think if people hated waiting in CW, and lights were launching in 2 mins.. it might get a lot more people invested in playing lights.. I don't think that would be a bad thing Posted Image

CW has a lack of variety as it is, this mode has the potential to be even worse.. So i was thinking about ways to help diversify the matches, and not just say, this is OP, or this is way out of balance.. ect.. Balance through mode, not mechs. See what i mean?

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 April 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#7 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostChapeL, on 22 April 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

Pretty much this.

"Hey guys we're making a mode so that scouting and intel can be important, and by that we mean we're making a medium skirmish game mode" - PGI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users