Social General

39 replies to this topic

#21 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

I had a game where I was facing Ogres on an ice map and the panels would collaspe randomly and everything would die on it unless you cast a spell on a unit to give them an ice bridge, I was getting owned when all the panels under the ogres collasped but my guys had an ice bridge lol. Was over after turn 3 wasn't very fun, rules need fine tuning.

#22 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

Wish the Btech minis would be allowed to use the assets from MWO. Yeah, yeah, seperate liscence holders, blah blah 3d printers blah.

I would get a kick out of BTech minis that were done like Warhammer minis. Different looking arms/torsos for different variants on one sprue. Would be so kickass to buy "Blackjack Variant Box Set."

#23 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 24 April 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

I still have my Dwarven Death-Roller, fully painted and waiting to return to the field, after a 20 year hiatus.

Games Workshop makes me sad, now, though.. All of their new games are 64bit or GTFO. I really don't feel like reinstalling my entire OS / drivers / programs over the course of a week just to be able to play Warhammer again. (Plus this OS is fully licensed and legitimate.. if I go with 64bit I won't be fully legal, anymore.)

Yeah, fighting against actual real-life people that were totally engaged in the game.. those were the days.. the days before celphones and tablets and laptops.. etc..

I really didn't like the changes they made at the turn of the century. They ****** up the undead, really hard.

Aside from that, no one within 80 miles of my house has any interest in tabletop games of any kind. So, yeah.. I wish them luck in selling tabletop games in this day and age..

I feel your pain... I changed houses some years ago and now I live 600 km from my friends (the only ones interested in these games). I took my Necromunda, W40k, Citytech, WFantasy boxes with me.... they've been collecting dust here. Haven't found a single person interested in them.

I'm raising my daughter to like them so, perhaps in another 10 years I'll be able to play again :D

#24 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostDibujor, on 24 April 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

I feel your pain... I changed houses some years ago and now I live 600 km from my friends (the only ones interested in these games). I took my Necromunda, W40k, Citytech, WFantasy boxes with me.... they've been collecting dust here. Haven't found a single person interested in them.

I'm raising my daughter to like them so, perhaps in another 10 years I'll be able to play again :D

Thats terrible. I love all those games. Plus the minis make for great D&D games.

#25 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 24 April 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Thats terrible. I love all those games. Plus the minis make for great D&D games.

Oh, don't get me started on role playing games, I miss those too. Those were the days indeed, days of pen and paper. Entire evenings playing with friends over sodas (then beers) and snacks whether on a tabletop board or some character sheets.

Unfortunately it's all online or nothing for me now.

You have things like roll20, megamek, etc. But it's not the same

Edited by Dibujor, 24 April 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#26 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Really? Loved playing Blood Bowl as a lad. Well, at least until they banned my 2 headed Skaven Chainsaw Loony catchers........ the Albion Anarchists were never the same after that....... Posted Image

several additions of it, the newest from what I can gather seems more about gimic than game play chaos addition was pretty good.

#27 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 24 April 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Wish the Btech minis would be allowed to use the assets from MWO. Yeah, yeah, seperate liscence holders, blah blah 3d printers blah.

I would get a kick out of BTech minis that were done like Warhammer minis. Different looking arms/torsos for different variants on one sprue. Would be so kickass to buy "Blackjack Variant Box Set."

The cool thing about DFA is that they use 3D printed minis of the mwo mechs.

From what I understand Jordan Weisman funded/created hyperrpg.

#28 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:45 PM

Y U NO SELL ME MWO MINIS?

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

View PostDibujor, on 24 April 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Oh, don't get me started on role playing games, I miss those too. Those were the days indeed, days of pen and paper. Entire evenings playing with friends over sodas (then beers) and snacks whether on a tabletop board or some character sheets.

Unfortunately it's all online or nothing for me now.

You have things like roll20, megamek, etc. But it's not the same

All the things gone to the impatient, instant gratification wayside. Days and weeks pouring over new sourcebooks, priming and painting minis, etc.

Whole nights, or even weekends spent "power-gaming" with breaks taken for food runs, crappers, and a few hours unconsciousness after the sun crept up......

The fun, imagination, etc is something I think largely lost on a good chunk of the video game generation. Video games are fun too, but man I miss having the old RPG gang, and all it entailed. (Same way I miss getting together with friends to listen to a new Metallica or Iron Maiden album, front to back several times, when most people can barely sit through one MP3 single anymore.)

Generational fun I guess.

#30 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

All the things gone to the impatient, instant gratification wayside. Days and weeks pouring over new sourcebooks, priming and painting minis, etc.

Whole nights, or even weekends spent "power-gaming" with breaks taken for food runs, crappers, and a few hours unconsciousness after the sun crept up......

The fun, imagination, etc is something I think largely lost on a good chunk of the video game generation. Video games are fun too, but man I miss having the old RPG gang, and all it entailed. (Same way I miss getting together with friends to listen to a new Metallica or Iron Maiden album, front to back several times, when most people can barely sit through one MP3 single anymore.)

Just primed a new Skeleton regiment and a new Empire Haliberdeer regiment. Trying to get my kids interested in these wonderful ways to use imagination before they get too old. Wish I had access to a 3d printer, would really take a lot of the cost of the minis out. Plus where I am I cant find BT minis at all. Online or bust, sadly.

My friend who had his minis moved quite a ways away and I havent played BT TT in years now.

#31 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:52 PM

Not sure if this is any help. Just found it 5 minutes ago myself...

http://www.meetup.co...ics/battletech/

#32 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Aw man, journey down the memory lane. I'm not forty yet and now I feel old.... Posted Image

#33 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 23 April 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Anyone else taking bets that when Jordan Weisman and HBS actually get their game out that MWO is going to take a shot right to the gonads?

I really, _really_ don't think so. One is a first person realtime shooter/sim. The other is a Third Person turnbased small-unit tactics game. Vastly different experiences. Personally I think they'll complement eachother rather than really compete with eachother. I'll certainly be playing both.

#34 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Really? Loved playing Blood Bowl as a lad. Well, at least until they banned my 2 headed Skaven Chainsaw Loony catchers........ the Albion Anarchists were never the same after that....... Posted Image

It's a good game. Not Perfect by any means, of course. There are rules which don't work quite as they should (though Cyanide have been getting better at that since the first Version of the game (Bloodbowl 1. We're now on Bloodbowl 2, get that Version as 1 is sorta dying out slowly). The community, like any gaming community, can at times be overly salty towards the devs, particularly us old GW grognards. No surprise there. Getting in a good League which fits Your style is alpha and omega to Your enjoyment of the game however as pickup games with random people have a tendency to end up With you going against carefully farmed murderdeathkill teams or against People who'll disconnect if their pet starplayer is killed.

Personally I pretty much only play in the League I'm in, FunLeague (we're old, terribly immature and don't take the game or ourselves seriously. The unofficial slogan is "we're a bit ****, and proud of it!"). We're the League the "serious" Leagues use as a cautionary tale. Much easier to have a good game when it's against People you play against regularly who won't act like arsehats just to win a game on the internet. :D

#35 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

I love watching DFA. They do a very good job at making TT into something of a spectator sport. If you expect to see grandmaster-level tactics, you're probably not their target audience.

(Bloodbowl! There used to be a Java client of BB you could use to play online. Like MegaMek for BB. Not sure of that scene is still active. I played a human team there for a long time, getting pounded into pulp every other game. It felt like the BB equivalent of piloting a stock Locust.)

#36 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:04 AM

OP, that's pretty cool. I'll have to check that out. Missed the table top Battletech days with my friends. They were all big D&D fans until I moved nearby and introduced them to Battletech. Then that's mostly what we played. That and painting the figures.

#37 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 23 April 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

I found their YouTube. DFA isn't Battletech.. that's Mechwarrior RP. It's still Battletech-ish, though.

This is the real prize. This is the candy at the center of life's poopscicle.

I eagerly await this game.

MWT was a god damned embarassment that never got off the ground thanks to developers that didn't give a **** about their IP. These guys care enough about BT to RP it out in MW. I actually have faith in this thing.

That is a great video. It also demonstrates a completely different and orders of magnitude better approach to community engagement than PGI has ever used.

1) Active forums with frequent participation by developers
2) Video Q&A where they answer design questions upfront and have no qualms about giving the direction of their thinking, how things might work, what is in scope and what is not at the current time

... and many others.

The sad thing is that the community engaging HBS on Battletech likely has a great deal of overlap with the community in MWO ... and yet PGI can't deal with it.

#38 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

Lots of the same names, apparently a few MWO Founders... yeah. Tons of overlap in communities.

#39 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 23 April 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

I miss Battletech.. and Mechwarrior.. and Blood Bowl.. and Warhammer Fantasy..

All of our gaming stores dried up because damned Millennials have no interest in physical games.

Thanks for the plug; I'll check them out and reminisce.

rip, whfb, AoS is so crap.

however Bloodbowl as PC game is a quite nice one close ot the TT and easily playbale via Intenrte. I wihs WHFB had such a thing.

Too bad the mordheim game has not all warbands yet.

Edited by Lily from animove, 25 April 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#40 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 25 April 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Lots of the same names, apparently a few MWO Founders... yeah. Tons of overlap in communities.

Yup, I kick myself in the head every time I see it mentioned because I missed the kickstarter....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users