Would Increasing Duration Of All Lasers Improve Balance?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:06 AM

It seems to me (and apparently some others) that lasers are a bit overpowered as they can deal a lot of damage very accurately in a very short space of time.

Would increasing the amount of time it takes to deal the same amount of damage improve the balance between lasers and other weapon systems?

Effectively this means increasing the Duration of lasers without altering any other stat. If so how much should it be changed by? 10%? 20% 100%?

#2 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

hmm, I think maybe 50%-70%, it would force snipers to actually need some real skill other than hide shoot and hide real fast.

after all Clans iirc suffer from this reducing their damage a bit.

#3 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

Such durations have reason - clan's weapon must have advantage at 400-1000m encounters and IS weapon must prevail at <300m range.

#4 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

Firstly, why do the various lasers have to have advantage at certain ranges? Is it in the lore?

Secondly, that doesn't mean that changing the duration would change the situation, as far as I can tell increasing the duration would simply make it equally harder for everyone to deal all the damage to a pin point a all ranges, thus alleviating some of the annoyances of the current setup

#5 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Hm.. This is PGI intention. If not - clan mechs will have advantage at any range over any IS mech.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 24 April 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#6 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

pgi, namely russ hates clans and it is clear with all of his 'balancing' of IS & Clan gear and mechs.
just look at the Timber Wolf, one of the most iconic mechs in battletech(one of the first units seen by the IS forces iirc) he weakens with all of its negative quirks while a good deal amount of other omnis have ether no Quirks or some while also having bad ones.

Lets also look at the Dire Wolf(Victor Davion's personal omni mech given to him by Theodore Kurita) and how they handled that one.

Thus far I do believe that is the only mech in the game with a negative IS or Armor quirk(cannot remember at the moment).

Then there is the Lasre duration which weakens the weapon over all.

doing the same to the I.S lasers should also be done for a real 'balance' but we will never see it.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:59 PM

Duration could be part of the equation. Add on there longer delay/cooldown timers for energy weapons, LPL and up, to be more in line with GRifle.

Add a more functional heatscale. Start with reduced speed/agility, the same way cXL acts when 1 side torso is lost. Set it with at least 2 trigger thresholds and additional shutdown threshold that can be overridden, and the final shutdown that can not be overridden.

#8 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

@Tarl
I was with you until the very last part.
Remember with the Flamers now being a little too powerful they will be able to kill another player just by over heating them to shut down and the other player would not be able to fight back which is what the override is meant for.

I never overheat to kill myself for any reason it just happens when I want to deal as much damage I can before I die and with how the flamers act and what you want would allow players with flamers to molest the other player who cannot fight back.

So no thanks.

annnnny ways back to the topic at hand, I wonder if Russ and the others had expected that IS players would want to do the same to IS weapons that they did to Clan weapons (which was only done to screw over the clans.)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users