More Game Mode Variety

No replies to this topic

#1 Wibbledtodeath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

UI is vastly improved. You have a basic tutorial (that also improves starting cash). Balance is always something you can mess with- but really MWO is as good in this department as any (mostly much simpler) shooter out there.

But it still lacks content.

PGI I implore you. With your 1 mech a month funding model, can you please have a run of 1 game mode a month to go with. It will improve mech sales, it will improve player retention.

aaaaand it doesn't have to be a big change each month (although big features are appreciated). Really, mix up the player count= dozens of options. Change around (add- don't just alter) drop zones (or randomise them) for current game modes= dozens of fresh games. Add drop deck to other game modes (with variable mech/spawn counts)= dozens of new games. Tonnage limits- dozens of options. New game modes (e.g. FFA- the staple of any shooter, 4 lance vs 4 lance etc), choice in mech for map/mission, lack of choice- all good. team/solo/mixed etc. Rather than perfect/systematise a few game modes give us lots. Variety is fun. It also then gives more options to add to CW/campaigns- start with variety in gameplay- then string it into a campaign/CW rather than launching more new campaign design with limited content.

Now 4v4 missions exist for general consumption- and actually display the game mode and map prior to mech selection being finalised- some great stuff is happening here. I am seeing mechs and weapons that are not competitive in 12v12 play coming out of the woodwork and performing well. Sometimes the best way to balance is to not: Rather, have more variety in gameplay so mechs can find their niche.

When you have more modes/options: you can multiply these features, many of which just rely on easily modifiable metrics and you get heaps of variety for minimal (though certainly not nil) coding requirements. (e.g. game mode x map x spawn location options x tonnage limit x player count x mech choice/lack of choice x etc x e.g. = lots of variety)

I would like to suggest an initial starting point: A seriously simple option to replace ghost drops (till AI is on board): 6v6 "spoils of war" game (or whatever you want to name it) to reward those who waited in line for a game 10 mins with decent gameplay (even if its just the same map/game mode- but with 6v6 rather than 12v12 game play will feel very different- plus its often vs your usual unit mates- which would be fun. You don't need to reinvent the wheel to get a vast improvement- and it improves on fighting no one by 100,000%).

I am looking forward to some more variety in my MWO play

Thanks in advance.

Wibble

Edited by Wibbledtodeath, 24 April 2016 - 09:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users