Weather (Not A Re-Hash, 'promise)

1 reply to this topic

#1 R 13

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

With CW/FW Phase 3 out the door, changeable weather had been mentioned in a previous command chair as on the table.

Yay, dynamic conditions!

That's exciting, but I did immediately see a problem: not all graphics settings are created equal.

As a competitive player, I'm VERY familiar with the pros of playing the game with some settings (environment in particular) on super-low. I really prefer playing the pretty-game when just levelling 'mechs or playing FW, however the benefits are unavoidable when things get serious.

So, how do you make weather "matter" to comp try-hards or people playing the game on potatoes who won't ever see the rain streaked cockpit glass, driven snow/sand, or the flashes of lightening as a storm rolls in?

Weather becomes relevant to everyone at the point where it actually impacts mech/weapon performance, and dare I say, game balance 0_0.

The main thing I've seen mentioned already when i searched this topic:
  • Rain/Snow increasing the cooling capacity of a 'mech
Sure, that's a great idea. It logics, and I hope PGI impliments it.

But what about:
  • extremely high winds:
    • enough to cause need for compensation with projectiles, and shorten/lengthen missile ranges (they'd spend extra fuel to fight into the wind or against a cross-wind, or far less fuel with the wind, but at the sacrifice of accuracy)
    • enough to effect 'mech speed with/against the wind
    • UAVs could have issue, or be blown off-station
  • super-thick fog/torrential rain:
    • enough to cause lasers to refract/lessen their effect at range
  • magnetic storms:
    • impact to sensor range/effectiveness
  • thermal effect to day/night cycle
Along with that, it'd be nice to see something done to mitigate the advantages to playing on super-low graphics, but I have no idea how to implement anything to affect that change without hosing people with barely-good-enough rigs.

#2 Tarvitz Phaeron

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

This seems like an incredible suggestion, I've been wondering about the same thing for a while. It would force people to play a bit smarter and tournaments could have nice twists.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users