The Mad Dog

13 replies to this topic

#1 The dog with a laptop

• PipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:28 AM

I just bought a mad dog MDD-B . . . well I had to, didn't I.
Any how's great mech, as nibble as my novas. But I thought I remember in mw4 it having machine guns that had a wee turret under its chin. And sadly it hasn't . . .
Or is there is it on another model?

#2 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:49 AM

Mad Dog in MW4 was just the wrong model.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

The MW4 Mad Dog is known as the Vulture Mk II or Mad Dog Mk II, because it's essentially a different mech. They changed the Mad Dog specifically for MW4. In an attempt to make it cooler, I guess.

Posted Image

#4 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:31 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 29 April 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

The MW4 Mad Dog is known as the Vulture Mk II or Mad Dog Mk II, because it's essentially a different mech. They changed the Mad Dog specifically for MW4. In an attempt to make it cooler, I guess.

Posted Image

The Canon explanation is that it was a battle Mech based off of the Mad Dog, that was designed to be assembled in IS factories with in the Ghost Bear Domnion.

#5 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

Huh, so its in fact an original design by Ghost Bear and Rasalhague, based of the MD?

Nice that those chin mounted weapons are canon. I loved that iteration of Vulture in MW4. Mad Dog Mk II, I want that one but its far into the future it seems. Since MW4 was around the FedCom civil war.

#6 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

I have to admit I was always a tiny bit confused by the MW4 intro because of those chin lasers.

Not to mention how odd it is with how many clan mechs are in that intro for what is supposed to be two IS units fighting.

Edited by Lorian Sunrider, 29 April 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostTordin, on 29 April 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

Huh, so its in fact an original design by Ghost Bear and Rasalhague, based of the MD?

Nice that those chin mounted weapons are canon. I loved that iteration of Vulture in MW4. Mad Dog Mk II, I want that one but its far into the future it seems. Since MW4 was around the FedCom civil war.

The exact wording for it is:

Produced by Bergan Industries for Clan Ghost Bear, the Vulture Mk. II is functionally identical to the original, but has a slightly different appearance in terms of armor, structure, engine mounting and other cosmetic areas due to being produced from factories using Spheroid tooling.

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 29 April 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Huh, you learn something new everyday.

I have to admit I was always a tiny bit confused by the MW4 intro because of those chin lasers.

Not to mention how odd it is with how many clan mechs are in that intro for what is supposed to be two IS units fighting.

Three different operations:

Operation Bulldog
Task Force Serpent
Operation Damoclise

The three events that basically let FedCom take a bunch of mechs from burnt out carcass of Kentucky Smoked Jaguar Clan Smoke Jaguar, also by the time of the FedCom civil war, Clan Diamond Shark was selling Clan mechs and weapons to the IS.

#8 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 April 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

The exact wording for it is:

Three different operations:

Operation Bulldog
Task Force Serpent
Operation Damoclise

The three events that basically let FedCom take a bunch of mechs from burnt out carcass of Kentucky Smoked Jaguar Clan Smoke Jaguar, also by the time of the FedCom civil war, Clan Diamond Shark was selling Clan mechs and weapons to the IS.

Thanks bud. To be honest my lore needs to be brushed up for prettty much anything after Task Force Serpent. Part of the reason I'm re-reading all of the books.

#9 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

If PGI ever reviews these forums:

I have a lot of money available for this battlemech. Design + Nostalgia is a heavy driver.

#10 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

I thought the MW4 Vulture/Mad Dog was fugly.

That said, I'm glad PGI went with the original design for the mech as their basis, and the mech has overall turned out to be more fun than it has any right to be.

#11 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

...The bottom line: The Mk. II is functionally identical to the original; it merely differs cosmetically.

Herbert Beas, Line Developer, 21-Aug-2013

#12 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

Ugh. Always hated that 'mech, too much of a dirty perversion of my beloved Vulture.

#13 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Ugh that ugly *** rendition.. But yeah catalyst felt the need to canonize that and all the f'd over clicky tech versions as mk IIs. (grand summoner, hellbringer mkII)

As for mw4 and clan mechs errywhere there's one explanation "Microsoft" yeah it's after the jags fell, salvage and unit capturing but clanmechs are ERRYWHERE in those games and mechcommander 2 (hell you can straight up buy timberwolves in mc2)

Just because it's capturable doesn't mean it's sustainable. Germans abandoned tons of panther tanks, yet the allies didn't field more than a small handful and later abandoned those as they broke down.

#14 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

I like the look of the mw4 vulture. It looked meatier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users