653 replies to this topic

#641 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

Troll that doesn't take the totality of the thread into account...

#642 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

I'm gone for about half a year, and this thread still exists. I think I might cry, but as to what I was reading in some of the last ones. LRMs have gotten a bit better due to the centralization of reduced spreads at higher racks, but still LRMs shouldn't be a primary weapon.

#643 Surefoot

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 55 posts
  • LocationGeneva, Switzerland

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 19 November 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

LMRers is hated by for only by reason: they do not trade health with team. If they stand away they do diminish total armor's strengh.
That's why assault LRM-carrier mech useless. They do not take damage during battle and multiply risks for whole team.
As for weapon itself it have its place as any other sort of weapons.

^^ This.
Hate it when the caller goes "let's push, assaults move !" and said assaults just step back or even say "i have lurms, plz hold locks". LRM Atlas is 100 tons wasted for the team.

Edited by Surefoot, 25 May 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#644 Morhadel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

Anyone who says that LRMs are useless in combat, Need to do some research on Indirect Fire Support and it's effects in combat situations.

But if you bring LRMs to battle make sure your Mech has enough secondary weapons so that your not useless when in brawling range or when you run out of missiles.

#645 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostMorhadel, on 25 May 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

Anyone who says that LRMs are useless in combat, Need to do some research on Indirect Fire Support and it's effects in combat situations.

But if you bring LRMs to battle make sure your Mech has enough secondary weapons so that your not useless when in brawling range or when you run out of missiles.

Anyone who says this doesn't understand that this is a game and not real life, nor do they fully understand this game mechanics.

#646 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 27 May 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Anyone who says this doesn't understand that this is a game and not real life, nor do they fully understand this game mechanics.

LRMs are not mortars or artillery that destroys multiple targets at extreme range. They are just inferior versions of direct fire weapons. Same damage or less, less precise, slower, less reliable. They are the single easiest weapon to counter in the game. The only thing they do different is splatter a bit of damage on enemies your teammates are tanking damage from SO you can hide and still feel like you're contributing. Against terrible players who can't use any counters they are effective - but againat bad players who dont use cover direct fire is even more effective.

LRMs are not a indirect fire support weapon. They are an inferior, slow, easily countered direct fire weapon with an arcing trajectory and simplistic locking mechanism. Failing to understand that is why people keep bringing them.

#647 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

To pile on to this commentary.

In modern warfare, would militaries use mortars or other indirect fire without organizing spotters and following protocols to avoid shelling their own positions (unless absolutely necessary)?

Right, neither should one do so in this game.

If you want to group up and take roles and coordinate who's TAGing, who's NARCing, and who's LURMing, then go for it. It might even work if your enemy isn't prepared to counter.

But if you're solo player... you are very potentially a detriment to your team unless you can make them work *effectively* without relying on your teammates.

I'm not talking to the guy that brings an lrm5 on an assault to "keep their heads down" I am talking to the guy that brings an LRM60-80 assault that barely does 50 kph...

#648 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 27 May 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Of course he doesnt understand Pat, tier 4.

#649 Kirito Kerenksy

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 November 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

Missing the point completely, okay not completely but most would not agree with the OP's extreme prejudice against lurms and if you'd read the posts you'd see this.

This is a video of 12 COMPETENT and COMPETITIVE players that coordinated their drops with spotters, TAGs, NARCs and any other fixins that help maximize LURMS.

The Primary contention of many is SOLO players that bring lurm boats and no backup weapons, no friends to coordinate with and no TAG/NARC/BAP/etc are not helping their team effectively when they sit in the back and ask for targets or simply ignore the battle at hand and try to hit a commando running around on the side.

I'd also like to note that they went up against pugs, were unable to kill the entire enemy team in the 30 minutes the match lasted, and took heavy casualties as well. When else has Blackwatch; a compettitive team that has given Steel JaguaR and EmpyreaL a run for their money, ever had issues mopping up an entire enemy team of pugs?

When they all went LRM boating.

#650 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostStory Time, on 28 May 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

I'd also like to note that they went up against pugs, were unable to kill the entire enemy team in the 30 minutes the match lasted, and took heavy casualties as well. When else has Blackwatch; a compettitive team that has given Steel JaguaR and EmpyreaL a run for their money, ever had issues mopping up an entire enemy team of pugs?

When they all went LRM boating.

Evil has LRMs for lolz. The result was predictable. They lost. NS has run lrm boats for lolz ... even gotten players close to 2K damage in QP a few times with the narc beacon. We still lost. The weapon for it to work well against better players will utterly break pug play tier 2 and lower. Most of folks who hate LRMs tier 1 players running optimized direct fire decks. I imagine in the lower tiers LRMs are a very legit weapon ... just not for upper tier play. In overwatch plenty of characters work in the lower skill but never well in the upper skill. I think most games are like this.

#651 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

All depends upon the map.

I've seen 228th and 420M wreck face with all-LRM loadouts in Faction Warfare.

When I dropped with 420M in Tukayyid III, we stormed an enemy base on Polar Highlands Assault and captured it in the first wave, 15-2. Our loadouts consisted of nothing but LRM systems on a variety of mechs. We softened up targets with LRMs, then went in close-range and secured the base.

228th used LRMs on Vitric Forge on the defense. They forced the opposition to keep their heads down and denied them mobility throughout the base.

It can be done in certain instances.

#652 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostCommander A9, on 28 May 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

It can be done in certain instances.

Who are you, and what have you done with commander A9!?

#653 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

I am a warrior and Wolf at heart who keeps his mind open and remains adaptable to any situation, any fight, any location, any timeframe, with a willingness to bring what the drop commander calls for and martyr myself for the cause.

Ya'll remember when Long Tom was a thing. One early match on Sulfurous Rift, I threw myself into the enemy right as the artillery tracked my position. Took 5 of those ******** with me!

...that and 420M asked me to bring LRMs...so we did. 15-2. Polar Highlands. Assault. Enemy base captured on 1st wave. I have screenshots to prove it.

Edited by Commander A9, 29 May 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#654 Lawrence Elsa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPacific Standard Timezone

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, We're both wolves at heart, so I should have remembered the golden rule:
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
regardless of what you're doing, make sure you do it as a team. In that case I can accept LRMs

But if you ask me to bring them I'll beg you to let me be a spotter, I can't hit anything with LRMs!

Edited by Lawrence Elsa, 29 May 2017 - 07:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users