New Mode For Fp

2 replies to this topic

#1 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

i was thinking of different modes to add to faction play, and i came up with a more of a pitched battle game mode. what i mean by this is, it would still be attackers and defenders, however, it would have 3 or 4 bases spread over a very large map, for example polar highlands. This map is big enough to fit a base/ factory complex in each corner if need be. i was thinking along the lines of a smaller mining collective in each corner. (or parts of it)

The idea i had was that the attacker would have to destroy all buildings, or maybe just key buildings, while the defender had to defend as many as possible.

now, what would be different from standard FP (aside from lack of a main base) would be multiple spawn points, unlockable by destroying an objective. the attackers would start with one drop zone, the defenders would have spawn zones at each base/factories. as the attacker destroyed/captured each base the spawn spots would become available, and able to be chosen, rather than only one dropzone. this would limit spawn camping and add a bit of tactical choice.

im aiming for a more mission type feel, inspired by older mechwarrior games. i feel this would allow more tactical play, as neither side could death-ball the same way.

Obviously im not a game designer, so this is a very rough idea, so discuss, lets see how it could work.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

Apparently being a game designer doesn't necessarily make you good at designing games, oddly enough...

Your idea is way better than anything they seem to have, and joins a host of similar suggestions begging for more creativeness, variety, and strategy in matches (especially Faction matches).

As for specifics, the only complaint I have is that it would be very hard for the defenders to win...
They have to defend multiple points across an entire map. If the attacker sticks together, they can steamroll any defenders at a given location. If the defenders stick together, the attackers can split up and take out every target all at once (except the one being defended).
It might work if the defense points were all consolidated in a general area, like a big town. That way the defenders can maneuver around it fairly easily, and the attackers have to actually use some tactics to break past the defenders and hit the objectives.

Hell, if you just dropped Conquest mode into FW matches it would shake things up in a good way (I think it's Conquest... the one with 5 capture points that you hold to get 750 points).
Or you do the reverse, where each side has tickets that they bleed. Spawning mechs costs tickets, heavier ones cost more, and you can destroy objectives on either side to reduce their tickets, or hold objectives to make them bleed out slowly.

#3 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

yeah i see your point. how about adding calliope turrets to a few of the points? that would certainly limit any small scale light rushes. maybe add certain bonuses for more bases/factories owned/destroyed too. like, for example, at a factory there could be an ammo replenishment center (MFB without the repair). or one of the bases could be a satcomm array that periodically spawns a squad of manticore tanks. or an airbase that sends squads of perigene helicopters out. this way theres a strategic element to choosing where to defend, and those points would be defended, at least in a small way, by the tanks or choppers.

and yeah i totally agree, an invasion version of conquest would be sweet! maybe make it with more points 2000+ for example, and with more than 5 capture points. although i think they would have to implament some form of multiple spawns in this mode too, as the first side to lose their entire wave would be very vulnerable to spawn camping. unless the spawn point was a hrothgar or overlord dropship fully loaded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users