Benefit Of Sensor Range Module

7 replies to this topic

#1 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

I am trying to decide if it's worth using the Sensor Range module, but I can't really tell. I don't know what my existing sensor range is, so I don't know what the benefit of extending it would be.

So how can I find the existing sensor range for a mech? I can't find it in MechLab.

More generally, is there really much benefit? I think mechs have to be in line-of-sight for the sensor to work, and it seems pretty rare that I will see a mech but be unable to target it.

Even in those cases, I don't really understand the benefit because my weapons probably can't reach the target. And if they can, I don't really need a sensor because I'm too far away to reliably target specific components.

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

The base sensor range is 800 m on all mechs. The sensor range module extends this by 200 m.

Note that the Beagle Active Probe also extends sensor range by 200 m, and these two effects stack, so the module + BAP give you 1200 m range.

Overall the module is not worth it IMO.

First, under most circumstances there's not THAT much use for >800 m sensor range. There are occasional exceptions, such as when you pack extreme long range weaponry and are playing on a map with long sight lines (Polar, Alpine, etc.), when it can be useful to get target information beyond 800 m.

Second, even if you want >800 m sensor range, I'd rather equip BAP and also get the other benefits which are substantial (quicker target information, counter-ECM). The thing is, there are super useful modules like Radar Depr. and Seismic Sensors, and you want to reserve your module slots for those.

WHEN you play on those few maps with really long sight lines, 1000 or 1200 m sensor range can be a good money maker though. You'll target most everything before your team mates, and those Scouting bonuses are 3000 c-bills a piece.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,676 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Before Seismic /Radar Dep were introduced, Sensor range was very useful for scouting, for LRMs and long range targeting. Then with BAP, that even helped more. At the time ballistics had a 3x the range instead of the current 2x range.

But as Jss posted, there are better mech modules now.

#4 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

If you run a mech with 2 base mech modules (and a 3rd master slot) and you run a dedicated longrange build or a spotter it is useful. you can get a lock 200-400 meter before the enemy can lock you.
Also useful on ecm scouts (spider/mist lynx/cheetah and the likes) who do not need a radar deprivation module thanks to the ecm.

It is a very situational depending module, if you can force your longrange gameplay on the enemy it's worth gold, if not it's useless.

It might be useful on CW maps such as boreal and heleborne where you know where to set up spotting/scouting/longrange scenarios.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

Sensor Module used to improve the rate at which you got information on mech damage from an unscanned mech. Not sure if it still does.

Advanced Sensor if I'm not mistaken is supposed to double the range benefit. Or something like add 20%. .....Bah I guess I can look it up.

Just a boost of 25% range over 15% range.

To note: Basic: 120 meters increased range.
Advanced. 200 meters increased range.
Yeah it's pretty bleh. With the different ranges per mech it'd be useful.

Edit: I see the function's been split between two modules; there's a target info gathering one.
I know it's been a while since that change because I own one. But I'm fairly certain they weren't originally separate.

Edited by Koniving, 04 May 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

^ though I would not use it either, I would argue that targeting speed is more useful more ofthen than sensor range.

Getting a quicker idea of what is already damaged on an enemy is goimg to be more beneficial in more situations that extended sensor range.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Advanced Sensor Module can also have a limited benefit when dealing with ECM. ECM systems essentially do two things: they prevent enemy target data sharing within 90m, and they reduce the effective range of sensors targeting anything inside that 90m radius (including the mounting 'mech) to 25% range.

So if you've got a 'mech with no modules or Beagle, you can target an ECM-equipped 'mech (and share that data with your team; i.e. the target triangle pops up on their HUD) once you get to within 200m. With either the module or a Beagle, you can target at 250m, and with both you can lock an ECM 'mech from 300m away. However, in most cases the benefit in live combat will be slight, and the module is in no way comparable to the two top alternatives - Seismic Sensor and Radar Deprivation.

You want Seismic and Radar Dep; you also want Advanced Decay if you're using lock-on weapons (LRMs or Streaks.) Nothing else comes close to the effectiveness of these modules (situational though Advanced Decay may be.) Similarly, no consumables have anywhere near the effect on the battlefield as UAV and Artillery strikes, and so you want those unlocked as well, if you haven't gotten them already. Anything else is likely an inferior GXP purchase. =)

#8 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

View PostTeru Kojima, on 04 May 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

If you run a mech with 2 base mech modules (and a 3rd master slot) and you run a dedicated longrange build or a spotter it is useful. you can get a lock 200-400 meter before the enemy can lock you.
Also useful on ecm scouts (spider/mist lynx/cheetah and the likes) who do not need a radar deprivation module thanks to the ecm.

It is a very situational depending module, if you can force your longrange gameplay on the enemy it's worth gold, if not it's useless.

It might be useful on CW maps such as boreal and heleborne where you know where to set up spotting/scouting/longrange scenarios.

I agree, these are precisely the two cases where I sometimes run it myself.

I have a fun CDA-3C scout/sniper which runs both BAP and the sensor range module (the mech has the extra module slot). I run about at 148 kph, spot targets with 1200 m sensor range, and keep firing the ERPPC like a madman.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users