32 replies to this topic

#1 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Why is the community faction warfare play leaderboard based solely on number of KMDD? If they want to go with that metric, at least divide it by games played or something. As it stands, a mediocre player - given enough time - could rise to the top by sheer time spent playing. Is this what PGI wants to recognize? Why not just have a column of "hours logged" and use that to rank players?

If the guy below me in the ranking gets 2 more kills he will be above me in the leaderboard but will have played over 7 times the games to get there.

Posted Image

I don't care that much about epeen (well I guess I do enough to create this thread) but surely there ought to be a better formula for this leaderboard to reward decent players. Thoughts?

#2 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:00 PM

One can imagine it resets once the map resets for another season, not that we have goals to trigger such an event beyond PGI`s desire.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Since PGI wants people to spend their time playing MWO as much as possible, such a grind based leaderboard suits the role just fine. It is flawed, but it makes sense.

#4 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

No metric is going to be better than another as people will always object to it's use as a measuring stick.

Too many people in these games get too much of their ego stroked by being "good" in a computer game and seem to think it really matters to anyone but themselves.

#5 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:37 PM

the leaderboard is just a dataset; right now it's sorting by KMDDs. What do you want to measure instead?

Do you want to sort by wins, and have it dominated by people grinding scout matches? Do you want one guy who plays three games and happens to get 9 kills to be near the top of the leaderboard forever on the basis of his K:D? Total damage, so that people playing invasion are at the top? etc.

Edited by AssaultPig, 04 May 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#6 Monodominant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 113 posts
  • LocationWarsaw, Poland

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

And in general...

Why the heck do you care?

A grind?

It would be a grind if someone said that the top 10 get a bonus...

As it stands it is 100% for epeeing.

So... yea... #firstworldproblemsdude

#7 Kurzo Strong

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

It would be nice if the column heads were clickable so you could sort the list and easily see who was #1 in each category. As it is, all the data is there, it's just perma-sorted by the KMDD metric, which means as much or as little as you make it.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:09 AM

Agreed. If they are going to use KMDD, they should go with KMDD/match, not just total KMDD. And it should actually be a weighted metric, that incorporates a bit of KMDD, a bit of KDR (or KpM), a bit of matches played, and a bit of damage dealt.

And there should also be separate leaderboards for Invasion and Scouting. 4v4 ≠ 48v48

Edited by Tarogato, 05 May 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#9 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:03 AM

Welcome to sports

I think I am one of the 100 plus americans who follows cycling over football(US). World championships are a single race based on various formulas for each countries entries (that can and will change over time).

Just take it as is.

If you want truth in the scores there should be an algorithmic multiplier for solo versus group Q and the number of kills for each. On this account I have zero scouting wins in solo scout and 100% wins while grouped.

So do you think the metric really represent who is better if they only drop in group - not dissin group just stating the math that smart players "should use" if they want to make the boards. The leader boards are the best example of having to use mechanics to get any results.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

I guess I've seen more pointless thread on this forum... But this one, is up there

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:20 AM

View PostSagamore, on 04 May 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

As it stands, a mediocre player - given enough time - could rise to the top by sheer time spent playing. Is this what PGI wants to recognize?

Yes, that is exactly what PGI wants to recognize ... to encourage people to play their game more.

I don't pay any attention to it because I'm not interested/incented to care about hours played.

BTW if they started to use "KMD per match" as suggested above, we'd start to see selfish match-losing tactics, with wannabe "leaders" focusing all their fire on easy to kill Mechs instead of playing to win.

I already see some of the big-name "leaders" on the Reddit MWO leaderboard running off and hiding at the end of matches instead of engaging, just to inflate their k/d ratios. Pathetic, really.

Edited by Appogee, 05 May 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hard to say what metric would best be used. You couldn't just do a KMDD/Match because you would wind up filling the top ranks with outlier players who have only played a handful of matches, but scored well. You would also need to separate Invasion from Scouting if you added this stat.

One thing I would really like to see is a leaderboard just for people in your unit. Diablo 3 did this because people wanted to participate in a leaderboard, but they just had no way of competing with the really dedicated botters players.

View PostAppogee, on 05 May 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

I already see some of the big-name "leaders" on the Reddit MWO leaderboard running off and hiding at the end of matches instead of engaging, just to inflate their k/d ratios. Pathetic, really.

Reddit's MWO leaderboard?

Edited by Jman5, 05 May 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#13 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostSagamore, on 04 May 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

As it stands, a mediocre player - given enough time - could rise to the top by sheer time spent playing. Is this what PGI wants to recognize? Why not just have a column of "hours logged" and use that to rank players?

PSR?

#14 fbj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 239 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

They need a formula like they use for events and challenges.

#15 Crockdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

I'd be happy if I could just sort the columns or get an export and pull it into a database to display into a website.

#16 Chemistrius

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

I think Jman has it right, have a "my unit" filter. Maybe a data export feature would be fun for the spreadsheet nerds to play with, or even just a json.

#17 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

View Postfbj, on 05 May 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

They need a formula like they use for events and challenges.

Yeah this would be a step in the right direction. I bet this was discussed internally though because by not having any kind of meaningful ranking system, people are less likely to try game the system.

View PostR31Nismoid, on 05 May 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

I guess I've seen more pointless thread on this forum... But this one, is up there

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

#18 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostJman5, on 05 May 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

One thing I would really like to see is a leaderboard just for people in your unit. Diablo 3 did this because people wanted to participate in a leaderboard, but they just had no way of competing with the really dedicated botters players

This might be a good way of seeing how units stack up. It would be nice to click on a unit name and see all members ranked. Then I could create a "priority list". Actually, from a RP perspective they could have a bounty system where, say, the top players in a unit give you a slight bonus for destroying them. So much potential.

#19 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

How about allow players to choose themselves how they want to have their leaderboard ranked? If one prefers total kills he can sort by kills. Another might want his list to be sorted by kdr so he/she can sort by kdr. Surely that cannot be beyond PGI ability.

#20 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Honestly KMDD makes the most sense of everything on that list for rankings. Kills don't make a lot of sense because you can just let your team do all the work, come in and take the last kills.

KDR is alright but you can have a guy thats played 200 games who could lose to a guy who's only played 20 and such would likely have a better KDR.

I would like a option to browse by unit/have a option where you can browse by all the other options like who has the most KDR, Win Rate, Total Kills but the default should always be KMDD.

The only downside to KMDD is that you can't get on the leaderboards by just scouting, Invasion has the clear advantage to gain the most KMDD and the leaderboard shows that.

Edited by DarklightCA, 05 May 2016 - 06:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users