13 replies to this topic

#1 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:21 AM

Nerf actual pilots instead of mechs by giving simple handicaps like slow turning, weapon cycling, etc...

#2 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:38 AM

I recently loaded up MW4 mercs to mess around with it for a bit and was reminded how much longer the weapon cool downs were. A PPC was like 6 seconds.

It was still fun and engaging even with cool down timers in the area of 50% longer. I had to really think if I wanted to pull the trigger on an alpha strike because it meant I would be running hot and have six seconds of down time while my weapons cycled.

The longer cool downs required volley fire of weapon groups to manage heat and sustain an offensive posture. I liked it quite a bit more than mash alpha wait 4 secs or less and mash again.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

The gameplay is excellent aside from very few obvious problems. This game has excellent action and everything else, what there is of it. This topic idea is a good one.

#4 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

An interesting idea. PGI has promised to revamp the entire Skill Tree after CW3, which is mostly done now, and the rescale, which is sometime in June. I don't know how willing they are to change weapon recycle rates, heat, damage, etc on a grand scale.

#5 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostYourSaviorLegion, on 08 May 2016 - 03:21 AM, said:

Nerf actual pilots instead of mechs by giving simple handicaps like slow turning, weapon cycling, etc...

Stop using mechs that deserve to be nerfed.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Is this a troll thread or a serious idea?

Just in case you were serious: punishing players for being good is never a good idea. At best, it will make people start new accounts all the time to avoid "Tier 1 Nerf". At worst, it'll just make them quit the game.

Anyway, remember to use the "Feature suggestion" forum. It's where the devs interact with the players. Posted Image
http://mwomercs.com/...re-suggestions/

#7 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

I already suggested something like OP, although much more in detail and with additional compensation for the players who got nerfed (because they are to good).

Guess what happend. -_-

Would link it, but since my post is older then a year forum search does not show it.

#8 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostLykaon, on 08 May 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

I recently loaded up MW4 mercs to mess around with it for a bit and was reminded how much longer the weapon cool downs were. A PPC was like 6 seconds.

It was still fun and engaging even with cool down timers in the area of 50% longer. I had to really think if I wanted to pull the trigger on an alpha strike because it meant I would be running hot and have six seconds of down time while my weapons cycled.

The longer cool downs required volley fire of weapon groups to manage heat and sustain an offensive posture. I liked it quite a bit more than mash alpha wait 4 secs or less and mash again.

in the currant game wouldn't longer cool down times, just make this game more alpha warrior, in organised play people would know when to push to take advantage of the cool downs, but in QP solo, I think play will just get more static and more alpha.

I thought about longer cool downs myself, but seeing someone else write it, made me think more of the problems it would bring

#9 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 May 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Is this a troll thread or a serious idea?

Just in case you were serious: punishing players for being good is never a good idea. At best, it will make people start new accounts all the time to avoid "Tier 1 Nerf". At worst, it'll just make them quit the game.

Anyway, remember to use the "Feature suggestion" forum. It's where the devs interact with the players. Posted Image
http://mwomercs.com/...re-suggestions/

I was totally joking this would be so beyond stupid

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostYourSaviorLegion, on 08 May 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

I was totally joking this would be so beyond stupid

What is interesting about it is how it could in some ways be used for the skill tree redo. How do the remake the skill tree without messing up a good thing is the idea here. Game play is not perfect but there is a lot right going on.

Really its all about somehow turning the very basic and even redundant skill tree in game now, into something with a lot more depth.

I'm sure they have it worked out anyway but different ideas can shine some light on the entire thing.

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 May 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#11 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

Move all of the "Quirks" over to the Skill Tree and force the Players to decide what their Mechs get for Quirks, be they Heat, Range, CD, Twist, Accel/De-accel, etc etc. Then find a Formula that set up available Slots #'s per chassis such that a Small Light Mech can be Fast (base engine mod) and then the Pilot has to (add) Agility traits but then does not have enough slots left over to make the thing Cool running with Mega firepower/and or Range. :)

Make/allow the Pilot to build the chassis as they see fit, not based on some set of pre-disposed quirks...

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 09 May 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Move all of the "Quirks" over to the Skill Tree and force the Players to decide what their Mechs get for Quirks, be they Heat, Range, CD, Twist, Accel/De-accel, etc etc. Then find a Formula that set up available Slots #'s per chassis such that a Small Light Mech can be Fast (base engine mod) and then the Pilot has to (add) Agility traits but then does not have enough slots left over to make the thing Cool running with Mega firepower/and or Range. :)

Make/allow the Pilot to build the chassis as they see fit, not based on some set of pre-disposed quirks...

Durability modules also, and for balancing act have underperformers have an extra slot or two or three (For the REALLY underperformers.) One slot for best performers, ect.

Inb4 Clans dont need X blah blah blah. Some of the Clan mechs do need them. Not all, some.

#13 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

How about the higher your KDR, the slower your weapons fire! Make sure you punish the good players to put them on even ground with those who don't put in the effort to be good.

Posted Image

That being said it would have been a good idea to start weapon cooldowns and the like based upon previous MW titles, but here we are now. Would just be too much of a change.

#14 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 09 May 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Move all of the "Quirks" over to the Skill Tree and force the Players to decide what their Mechs get for Quirks, be they Heat, Range, CD, Twist, Accel/De-accel, etc etc. Then find a Formula that set up available Slots #'s per chassis such that a Small Light Mech can be Fast (base engine mod) and then the Pilot has to (add) Agility traits but then does not have enough slots left over to make the thing Cool running with Mega firepower/and or Range. Posted Image

I could actually get behind this, it would be like stat modding in SWTOR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users