7 replies to this topic

#1 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hiya! I found a solid use for the practice turrets in comparing the damage output of different builds. The turrets give you a popup that tells you how much damage you dealt to them, so I can record a run and then go back and tally all the numbers from the video recording into a spreadsheet like this:

Posted Image

--- sometimes turrets register zero damage. I have no idea why. This happens about 7% of the time with SRMs and LBX in my experience. I'm not sure if it is displaying zero damage but probably counting the damage in other popups, or if the turrets are actually registering zero damage on some hits for some reason.

--- sometimes the display bugs out when trying to show the damage from multiple turrets at once. See 00:25 in the video below - it's showing 48 damage, then it VERY BRIEFLY flickers showing 40 damage, then it flickers back immediately to 48 damage. The 48 damage is reported twice even though it only occurred once. I know this because in other cases I've had numbers like 53.9 and 54.3 repeated twice in succession, and the probability of having dealt exactly that much damage twice in near succession is unreasonable.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

Consider range.

The first "0" was at 350 meters or so it appears at the highest settings with as much clarity as I can get in this unfortunately slightly blurry vid.

270 meters max range.

Also that's a vicious little Adder.

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 May 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Consider range.

The first "0" was at 350 meters or so it appears at the highest settings with as much clarity as I can get in this unfortunately slightly blurry vid.

270 meters max range.

Also that's a vicious little Adder.

Instances of having zero damage recorded occurred with both SRMs and LBX and at all ranges including sub-100m.

#4 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

Bother... but nice to see they're being used as intended!

Not sure what's happening here. The damage reports are a sample - that after taking no damage after Y.XX seconds you're not hitting it any more - and there's only one popup for all the turrets, so that may factor in.

I'll look into it.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Posted Image

Still getting this. ='[

#6 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yep, I've not looked into this (I'm full time on MW5 - coincidently since around about May...)

The underlying problem is likely to be with CryEngine's implementation of dataflow scripts.

All the evaluation is asynchronous, meaning that for any particular node (for example the one that puts up the damage value), there's no guarantee that all the input values will be the latest. I often had to put in no-op nodes in to ensure that a node got evaluated with up to date info.

These situations are, to say the least, difficult and time-consuming to debug.

Something like that may be happening here. Hope you can work around it and easily recognize and discard the spurious results.

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

the mechanics dont work like that,

try chain fire....

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yep, I've not looked into this (I'm full time on MW5 - coincidently since around about May...)

The underlying problem is likely to be with CryEngine's implementation of dataflow scripts.

All the evaluation is asynchronous, meaning that for any particular node (for example the one that puts up the damage value), there's no guarantee that all the input values will be the latest. I often had to put in no-op nodes in to ensure that a node got evaluated with up to date info.

These situations are, to say the least, difficult and time-consuming to debug.

Something like that may be happening here. Hope you can work around it and easily recognize and discard the spurious results.

Fast reply! Cheers. You're fantastic about keeping up with this forum, even though you're not working on this much/at all anymore.

For what it's worth, I discovered a rounding error just now, 12.9 is correct (for one SRM6)

Posted Image

View PostBurnin2nd, on 22 March 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

the mechanics dont work like that,
try chain fire....

Wat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users