Supply Cache Counter Idea

15 replies to this topic

#1 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

"Kinda sucks that they are just randomly placed and would lead to wondering around. They could just do something like give salvage to the winning team. The player that gets it could sell it for cbills or spend MC to get their engineers to make that salvage into something or some system like that."

That's what I said when I heard about supply caches.

I feel that it could be better implemented in some sort of system like that, either given to everyone, or the top scorer, or one for top score, top assists, top kills, top most damage dealt, top solo kills, top damage, top etc. Basically you get some salvage material in your inventory after a battle and you can sell it for some cbills, depending on how who gets it is picked it could be like 10k-100k cbills or something.

If we want to add in an MC option like PGI would want to to increase revenue you could spend MC to have your engineers turn the salvage into something.

Now here they could go with the lottery like options of TF2 and CSGO and have you spend money to get a random item ranging from normal weaponry (maybe with a cut off to have it not give you stuff as useless as small lasers at least), engines, XL engines, and rarely you could even get a mech.

Or they could go with spending MC to turn salvage components into a component of your choice and having the MC cost change based on the salvage. They could even require you to have a certain amount of salvage for certain things, like buying an Atlas for example could be 20 salvage and MC equal to half the normal MC price of that variant.

What are your thoughts on these ideas and which do you prefer? Do you have your own counter idea?

Edited by Dakota1000, 09 May 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#2 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

The salvage should be linked in a logical way to the events that happened in the game, which is what you're doing with your suggested system, so I support that change to the proposed supply cache idea.

The idea I tossed out was a chance to recover an intact "whatever" from a destroyed enemy mech (weapon system, sensor equipment, etc.) If they had to make it another method to get people to spend MC, let the player see the possible salvaged item and the MC price, and then decide if they want to spend the MC to salvage it.

That would make sense - "oh, look - we recovered this Gauss Rifle intact!" - and fit with Lore, where salvage was a big thing. It also makes far more sense than the Magical Power Up Fairy seeding the realms with lockboxes that need MC lockpicks to open. And that doesn't even touch upon how this nutty idea will just encourage more blundering off alone... at least until it is discovered that the lockboxes, as implemented, are never worth the time and money, which is my suspicion.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

My thoughts:

View PostFupDup, on 09 May 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

If they really, really feel like they have to copy this particular aspect of TF2...

...Then they shouldn't drop the crates on the map itself. Doing it this way is going to cause people to play the game even more stupidly than they do now.

A better way to do crates would be to give one out at the end of a match to players on some kind of basis. Maybe a random drop like TF2, maybe if they reach a certain score threshold, every X number of matches, etc. The point is that the crates should be handled OUTSIDE of combat, or else it's going to degrade gameplay.

#4 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:45 PM

I think it'd be cool just to have the players on the winning team each get a salvage share at the end of the match. The value of the share depends on your match score; the higher it is, the more valuable the share is.

The share would go directly into your inventory (like the planned "supply cache" system) under a "salvage" tab and you would be able to either sell the share for CB...or spend MC to unlock it and claim the items in it. No RNG mechanic; what you see is what you get. The MC cost to unlock the share and the CB earning for selling it should be no more than approximately 1/10th the actual value of the items. So, for example if the share contained a STD Engine 220 and 3 Medium Lasers (1,589,267 CB total value), it would yield about 158,927 CB to sell and would cost about 98 MC to unlock (using an estimated 1625 CB per MC).

This could replace the current salvage bonus...so that basically if you sell your share it would be approximately worth the same amount you normally make with the current salvage bonus...but if you unlock your share with MC, you gain access to its contents which would be far more valuable.

Edited by Death Proof, 09 May 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#5 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

While I fully understand that we need to find a greater role for lights in this game, I do have to say that having them go on a treasure hunt is an extremely dumb idea.

We need to give lights an incentive to scout out the enemy team. Not wander around the map looking for a box.

#6 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostChewBaka, on 09 May 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

We need to give lights an incentive to scout out the enemy team. Not wander around the map looking for a box.

If the pay-off for searching for these supply caches actually gave your team an advantage somehow, then I'd be all for it. But as it currently stands, encouraging lights/mediums to essentially go looking for buried potatoes in the yard is counter-productive to team play.

Finding the supply cache should do something else too, like maybe knock a big chunk off the enemy's cap or timer in assault and dominion, reduce enemy sensor range in skirmish, and slow down enemy cap speed in conquest.

#7 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 09 May 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

I think it'd be cool just to have the players on the winning team each get a salvage share at the end of the match. The value of the share depends on your match score; the higher it is, the more valuable the share is.

The share would go directly into your inventory (like the planned "supply cache" system) under a "salvage" tab and you would be able to either sell the share for CB...or spend MC to unlock it and claim the items in it. No RNG mechanic; what you see is what you get. The MC cost to unlock the share and the CB earning for selling it should be no more than approximately 1/10th the actual value of the items. So, for example if the share contained a STD Engine 220 and 3 Medium Lasers (1,589,267 CB total value), it would yield about 158,927 CB to sell and would cost about 98 MC to unlock (using an estimated 1625 CB per MC).

This could replace the current salvage bonus...so that basically if you sell your share it would be approximately worth the same amount you normally make with the current salvage bonus...but if you unlock your share with MC, you gain access to its contents which would be far more valuable.

This guy gets it. +1

#8 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, we already have salvage as a BT and MWO tactic since forever.

I could deal with 'crates' having some tactical, in match advantage, such as reducing timers, adding conquest points, or adding more UAVs or ammo or something. But random junk given randomly after a match is over? The only part of that I understand is the having to spend real money to get the random digital junk.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

I remember Star Wars: The Old Republic had a game mechanic where you could vote for the MVP on your own team and the enemy team after each match, to give them props. I felt like that was a good way of not only rewarding good behaviour, but also making most players try to be better teammates, because they wanted the digital pat on the back after the match.

Maybe something like that would work for determining who deserves the cache. But then there would be whining because some people felt they deserved more, or didn't feel others were a deserving winner.

I definitely wouldn't want the cache to go to the guy with the most kill assists, dmg done or whatever. Would only result in selfish behaviour.

It's all academic anyway. It's a poorly camouflaged way to encourage meaningless micro-transactions and PGI is happy with it as it is.

#10 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 May 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

I remember Star Wars: The Old Republic had a game mechanic where you could vote for the MVP on your own team and the enemy team after each match, to give them props. I felt like that was a good way of not only rewarding good behaviour, but also making most players try to be better teammates, because they wanted the digital pat on the back after the match.

Maybe something like that would work for determining who deserves the cache. But then there would be whining because some people felt they deserved more, or didn't feel others were a deserving winner.

I definitely wouldn't want the cache to go to the guy with the most kill assists, dmg done or whatever. Would only result in selfish behaviour.

It's all academic anyway. It's a poorly camouflaged way to encourage meaningless micro-transactions and PGI is happy with it as it is.

inb4 premades promoting their own members.

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:19 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 10 May 2016 - 03:05 AM, said:

inb4 premades promoting their own members.

Yes, that tends to happen. <shrug>

#12 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 09 May 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

The salvage should be linked in a logical way to the events that happened in the game, which is what you're doing with your suggested system, so I support that change to the proposed supply cache idea.

The idea I tossed out was a chance to recover an intact "whatever" from a destroyed enemy mech (weapon system, sensor equipment, etc.) If they had to make it another method to get people to spend MC, let the player see the possible salvaged item and the MC price, and then decide if they want to spend the MC to salvage it.

That would make sense - "oh, look - we recovered this Gauss Rifle intact!" - and fit with Lore, where salvage was a big thing. It also makes far more sense than the Magical Power Up Fairy seeding the realms with lockboxes that need MC lockpicks to open. And that doesn't even touch upon how this nutty idea will just encourage more blundering off alone... at least until it is discovered that the lockboxes, as implemented, are never worth the time and money, which is my suspicion.

Yup. I know nothing of other games. I am an old crank and I play this game because it is the only MW/BT game around. All I know is that "Crates" just put another nail into the coffin containing a stiff identified only as "immersion". Your idea would help bring him back to life. Alas, the funeral will be held after the patch in July.

#13 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

Well, they have the Scouting bonus you get for being the first one to spot an enemy mech. Maybe give the salvage proportionally based on who scouts the most mechs first?

#14 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

Assault: Crate in base
Conquest: Crate at a random mining rig
Skirmish: mechs drop smaller salvage packs, collect 10 to be awarded a crate for your team

Really hate the idea of lockpicks for MC. It's already randomly awarded and is going to contain what? Unless picks cost like a tenth of what the items inside would normally cost I am just trashing them for CB.

Edited by Jetfire, 10 May 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#15 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Putting crates in the actual game is such a loss of immersion that I would probably switch to only Faction Play and then probably only play once a month.

There is this thing called salvage... it is in the lore of both Mechwarrior and Battletech.... it is a reward that happens sometimes randomly.

I wish they had called them Salvage Loot or something instead of crates and had it randomize to a player at the end of the match rather than be in them. This is going to disrupt play and cause more angst than good.

#16 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:58 AM

This sounds like the Lottery system in Lotro and other MMO's. Feels kinda wierd in Mechwarrior, but I can't complain about free stuff. I don't plan on buying any keys, but if we can sell the cache for Cbills I'm ok with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users