Aiming on older mech games vs. MWO

4 replies to this topic

#1 OrbitalshocK

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hey guys,

i am completely new to the battletech universe, and have started playing mw4 mercenaries (mektek version?), and mechwarrior living legends. I also have started reading some of stackpoles books!

anyways, i've never been able to take down a mech in mw4 or mwll without unloading what seems like 10 minutes worth of ammo. however, especially in mwll, it seems like i get hit once by a massive barrage of missiles and immediately die.

where should i be aiming? is it expected to be the same areas suggested when MWO comes out on the 7th?

Currently, i aim for the head/canopy or one of the shoulders. i feel like i'm not doing something right.

#2 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Depends on your enemy, but generally, the center torso is the best place to shoot. If you are fast enough to stay behind your enemy at all time, go for the rear center torso (no point wasting ammo/heat on the back if you are just going to end up in front of him). Puncturing the CT will kill all mechs, all the time, no exceptions.

Of course, if a mech has a very large head and you are a good shot, you may want to give it a go. A well placed gauss rifle or PPC might be enough to puncture the canopy and turn the pilot to molten goo.

Sometimes, for some opponents, it may be best to disarm them first if you are confident that it will pay off in the long run. Some mechs, like Gargoyle, Adder, and the Catapult A1 carry all their weapons in the arms. Or some mechs may have one "big hitter" weapon in a certain spot. Taking off these pieces may be more efficient then going for the CT right away.

MW4 and MWLL don't simulate this, but MW2 and I believe MWO will. If a mech is using an XL engine, taking out the side torsos will kill that mech too. So if your enemy has an XL engine and weak side torsos, shoot for them instead.

Edited by Zakatak, 15 July 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

I agree with Zakatak. Depends on your weapons/mech. Also depends on your target. I generally aim for Center Mass/Legs, and wait for the mech to sop if I am hidden and then unleash my weapons. But for newbies, you should wait for the target to slow/stop (while hiding) and then aim for center mass when an opportunity presents itself.

#4 OrbitalshocK

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA USA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

thanks for the help guys! in mw4 and mwll i had generally been aiming for the highest area i could between the shoulders. aiming for the chest is so going to ruin my fps instincts.

#5 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Or, as some people INSIST...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users