How About Some Decent Trial Mechs?

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll 01 (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Should PGI continue using Champion mechs as Trial Mechs?

1. Yes, they should. (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No, they shouldn't. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I don't care. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

Well, this is something that has been bothering me. Recently it seems that the Trial Mechs have been becoming more and more skill-based "Meta" builds and less easy to use, newb-friendly starters to get you on your way. I've played MWO since before the Clan mechs became available for Cbills or even MC. Back then, the Trial Mechs rotated out frequently and they were usually at least somewhat usable. Nowadays, the Trial Mechs have been the same twelve mechs for some time, not only that but they are all Champion Mechs, which, as far as I am aware, usually tend to be more Meta oriented builds designed with higher skill players in mind.

Seriously, these are supposed to showcase what these Mechs can do, but with the Trial Mechs in their current state, there are one or two Mechs there that would be considerable as newb-friendly. As such I have decided to see what others think about this topic, which surprisingly, nobody else seems to really talk about. I'll start with my opinion. I feel that the Trial Mechs should not be Champion Mechs because, in my experiences with them, they are not newb-friendly and in fact are the complete opposite.

Opinions are welcome in the comments section below.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

If it's supposed to be easy to use, maybe players would be less bothered in buying their own mechs?

#3 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

Except, they are encouraged to do so by that fact that the Trial Mechs aren't customisable.

#4 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

@RK
I agree,
When I first started out two or so years ago I seen that the Trial mechs was useful for all players, but now all I see are mechs mostly geared towards players for close range combat or just direct fire only weapons.

The light mechs you see this as plain as day and there are lights that offer at least two different ranged combat style and not all DF.

or other mechs its hard to get a feel for when they are always geared towards DF weapons which is great for meta players but not so much for new players.

good example for a mech built for all range combat is the Timber Wolf Prime, long, medium, & Short Range weapons.
Hell even their Champion Stalker gave the same thing.

They just need different mechs that offer different range capabilities, and yes there are some Light mechs that offer Short & long range weapon systems that are not both DF weapons.

how can a player learn what weapons they like, what weight class they are better at, and what fighting style they prefer if not offered a wide range or verity.

to be honest I was put off from any mechs such as champions because of the piss poor choices given us.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying don't offer any mech with just DF weapons just a wider verity of them, one with DF one trick ponies & ones that are a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Edited by VinJade, 12 May 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#5 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

Trust me, I know how you feel. The Mist Lynx Prime that was there before the current one was a decent all range combatant. That mech taught me how to manage my ammo, lest I become dead weight.

#6 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

@RK
lol, I never used the SRMs or MGs(I tend to die before I even have to worry about it anyways, lol) so those was dead wight as I don't like fighting up close with light mechs and on top of that I don't like one trick ponies, aka all ammo based weapons, however like you it did teach me to not just waste ammo on things I won't have true target locks because of the poor excuse of ammo it comes with(same complaint for the Timber Wolf & Mad Dog, lol).

but with all that said I agree with the Lynx being a great mech none the less as it allows you to try out two different ranges.

Hell we even have LRM Locusts(yes their armor is weak).

#7 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

I bought a Prime recently, tore off the LRM 10 and replaced it with another SRM 6 and more ammo. The MGs are actually more useful if you are running it as a Scout mode Mech.

#8 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

Wait, you mean use something that one die in the first ten seconds of combat....lol.
Posted Image

#9 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

Champion mechs are fine except the current crop are all turkeys with the same loadouts...pulse lasers, gauss rifles...that's the current push from them all. Only three have missiles at all, one one has LRMs. There's no variety of loadouts to actually teach new players a variety of builds. Most of them that have quirks, don't even match the weapons to the quirks.

#10 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

Exactly. Look at the Mist Lynx Prime trial we have now. Now look at the one that we had before it. The non MC Mist Lynx Prime is a relatively easy to use all range fighter. Having it as a trial mech meant that, if you wanted to use it well, you would have to learn how to properly manage your ammo, thus giving you an essential skill necessary to be able to effectively use the majority of the weapons in MWO. The one thats there currently is essentially a weaker Arctic Cheetah.

#11 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

you know its bad when Dee and I agree on something(which is really really rare).

@RK
As far as I am concerned pgi is just trying to force one trick pony MC mechs on everyone and it may really just turn off players from wanting to buy MC mechs, more so since the ones up for trial suck save for the ones with more than one weapon/play style type and offers different ranges to learn to use.

they need to just stop using MC mechs and use standard ones that offer better training for different ranges, different weapon types, and different styles of combat/roles instead of dealing out machines that might as well be garbage for new players as they are clearly for more advanced players who are good with a one trick horse.

which was why Stalker Champ mech was great as it had DF & IDF weapons or mechs like the Mad Dog Prime(just an example) and so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users