Changing Mech Weapon Loadouts After Map Selection

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jayce913

• Pip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

In the game sometimes the hardest choices is what loadout to bring to the matches you play, do you go for closer range weapons depending on cover to get you in close or do you go far rang and hope to have a map with open fields of vision? Or maybe you bring lrms, hoping a lack of tall cover and open field will give you the advantage. The only problem is, you never know where you are going to be fighting in the place that you choose your mech and its loadout. I have a solution though.

I believe the best solution to this would be the ability to save up to two separate loadouts for every mech you own, as long as you own the proper equipment, this would also mean this mech would need to be considered being equipped with both sets all the time and also would not include changes in engines, but as it were if you could include two different loadout of weaponry and armor for each mech, and swap them in the starting screen to any match, it would greatly improve eveyrones experience in the game. Say I pick up my Kintaro, I like to run srms on it and go in close, but it seems that other players have all chosen to run polar highlands, well a srm boat there might as well be a rusty anchor in a shipyard with how useful I will be, so then I could switch to a lrm based kintaro loadout I had saved which would perform better, or say I bring my lrm but I end up on a map like hpg or mining where alot of cover from lrms and hard to get good locks comes in, well then Id want to switch to a closer range variant I had made. Now we don't need to go overboard and have like 10 different saved loadouts I mean a drop ship would never have that much extra weaponry for a single mech in most cases. I do believe though that a pilot having one primary and one secondary set of armaments every drop would not be out of the question. I would veyr much like to see this integrated in the game to better simulate this.

Edited by Jayce913, 14 May 2016 - 12:03 AM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:09 AM

No.
Every Mech is useful on every Map - only the number of possible routes is limited

I had once the hope that what you suggest would be the "Omni" thing - because they are supposed to do this.

#3 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

It would be easier to do this through the mechlab and nickname feature.
~ Build a mech, assign that build to a map, give it a nickname, that way the servers already know what to do.
~ If you don't have a build assigned to "that" map, it gives you your default mech build (using the default name: CPLT-K2).

#4 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

I would really like a way to toggle between loadouts once the map is selected...
But they shouldn't EVER do that. They should also remove map voting completely, for the same reason:

Min/Maxing is bad for players, and for the game.
I hate min/maxing, I hate the people who do it (especially myself), and I like features that discourage it.

If the map is totally random and you're stuck with a single loadout, you have to build your mechs with at least a little bit of versatility. And if you don't, you'll get lucky sometimes, and unlucky others. So it's balanced.
Otherwise min/maxers will always have an inherent advantage over people with more generalized builds, especially if they can switch loadouts depending on the map, or control which map is selected.

Edited by Elendil, 13 May 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#5 Jayce913

• Pip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

I understand your opinoin of min/maxing Elendil, thats part of why I recommend only two loadouts per mech, in a dropship they wouldn't have just unlimited supplies to reload a mech every which way they would only take a few replacement weapons. This wont stop min/max or improve min/max honestly. I do understand dislike for min/max, but I have made builds way out of the considered meta and have torn apart mechs in the meta due to my own personal piloting styles, so I am not a full believer in cookie cutter min/max being the end all and I do not believe that this system will force that again all Im wanting to see able to be changed is weapons not other equipment. In my opinoin, sticking with meta or min/max just makes you predictable, and changing loadouts with one weapon change variable wont normally assist that much in min/max it will just give players more options of changing range loadouts.

Edited by Jayce913, 13 May 2016 - 08:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users