19 replies to this topic

#1 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:33 PM

So, I'm planning on running the "Sniper Lynx" as my mainstay Light. However, this leads me to a problem. I don't know whether to use a single ERPPC or two ERLL on it. I'm definitely using ECM, but I don't know which weapon to use. I would like to know which one to do.

#2 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 May 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

So, I'm planning on running the "Sniper Lynx" as my mainstay Light. However, this leads me to a problem. I don't know whether to use a single ERPPC or two ERLL on it. I'm definitely using ECM, but I don't know which weapon to use. I would like to know which one to do.

I don't know much about the subject, but I think you'll notice the ERLL has VERY long burn times. For that reason, I've always gone with ERPPC. With the fixed Jump Jets, you can PopTart like a Bauss minimizing your exposure.

#3 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

If I were running a lynx, (I wouldn't - at five tonnes heavier the arctic cheater, is faster, tougher and has more firepower) I would definitely run a 3xERsmall laser, 2x SRM6 build 2 tonnes of ammo.
If you choose not to be swayed then I would take the PPC Lynx. 2 ERLL is too hot. with either build you have basically no room for heatsinks, the PPC is a ton lighter.

Edited by Stormie, 13 May 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#4 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

Ok. I don't get why the current meta is CQC. Seriously, doesn't anyone appreciate the benefits of having a long-range support unit?

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I cannot tell you which is better.

ERPPC,
advantages, fire and forget, front loaded damage, no long beam pointing back to your location for 1.5 seconds makes it more stealthy
disadvantages, slow projectile velocity, if your target is moving you will have to lead it.

2 x ERLL
advantages, if you aim badly you can still get most of the damage on target, you do not have to lead the target, generate significantly more damage than the ERPPC
disadvantages, long burn time (to get full damage you have to hold them on target), generates more heat than 1 ERPPC, weighs more than 1 ERPPC, highly visible beams for 1.5 seconds of duration mean the enemy will probably see exactly where you are and there is a good chance a faster Mech will hunt you down (and unfortunately most Lights and some medium Mechs will be faster than you)

make your own mind up, or just try both.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 May 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

Ok. I don't get why the current meta is CQC. Seriously, doesn't anyone appreciate the benefits of having a long-range support unit?

Meta is long range laser vomit and 80 damage alpha strikes.

Cqc is just the best chance an insta-dead light has in the tougher tiers of the pilot skill rating system. Too hard to hit full on up close when half the heavies and assaults can't even look down far enough to see the lynx. Also; the enemies if you manage the skills to Bob and weave between them will help you by shooting each other in tiers 3 and 4.

Er lls are superior but remember to relocate after every two shots.

Remember cockpit armor is meaningless no one can hit it. This will help (keep a point there at least). Go for crotch shots or legs. They can't protect themselves from it.

Good luck.
(Last edit)

Edited by Koniving, 14 May 2016 - 02:03 AM.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:17 AM

Unless you have high velocity quirks skip the ER PPC.

The stock projectile speed is somewhere in the realm of a watermelon being thrown through a wall of solid jello (translation- it moves too slow to be a viable long range weapon)

The ERLL in turn suffers from a very very long duration time.

The solution? The clan large pulse laser.
Its practical max optimal range is well within the majority of common engagement ranges in MWO.
Duration is also managable for cqc.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:20 AM

Either version of this build puts out so little DPS it's not really effective support.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Meta is long range laser vomit and 80 damage alpha strikes.

Mid-range with alphas in the 50s and a lot of brawling actually. Since the blanket range nerfs, long range is not meta. And the skill tree nerf killed the DWF, which was the only real source of 80pt alphas. I have 61 on my EXE and I can't think of another mech that even hits 60 realistically.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostTercieI, on 14 May 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

Mid-range with alphas in the 50s and a lot of brawling actually. Since the blanket range nerfs, long range is not meta. And the skill tree nerf killed the DWF, which was the only real source of 80pt alphas. I have 61 on my EXE and I can't think of another mech that even hits 60 realistically.

Far as I can tell the heat-treated skill tree is completely untouched. Just maneuverability.

Heat-treated? Seriously Android?
Heat-related.

(The realistic numbers in the 42-48 range. However it is frequent to see mechs that can do 42 and 42 back to back in about half a second. But yes, "medium range" as of late. Several assault mechs can pull back to back chains of 30 damage (netting 60) in just under a second and these setups are devastating when they do hit.)

Edited by Koniving, 14 May 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Far as I can tell the heat-treated skill tree is completely untouched. Just maneuverability.

which apparently really hurt the Dire (my opinion of that Mech), it was unbearably slow and unresponsive before most of the skills were reduced, after the reduction it would be even more unbearable

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 14 May 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

which apparently really hurt the Dire (my opinion of that Mech), it was unbearably slow and unresponsive before most of the skills were reduced, after the reduction it would be even more unbearable

Agreed. Everything else is far too maneuverable. (I know why it's not but if the direwolf got its 56 kph instead of 48 it'd do a lot better. I really don't like how turning ability is a factor of the engines, same with twist. Yes you can't go fast, does it really need to screw with twist and turning? If anything turning should be easier due to being slower.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 May 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Heat-treated? Seriously Android?
Heat-related.

(The realistic numbers in the 42-48 range. However it is frequent to see mechs that can do 42 and 42 back to back in about half a second. But yes, "medium range" as of late. Several assault mechs can pull back to back chains of 30 damage (netting 60) in just under a second and these setups are devastating when they do hit.)

Yeah, it was maneuverability that killed the DWF, but my point was it is the only chassis that has a realistic (ranged) 80 alpha and it is no longer meta.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 14 May 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

It hurt everything, it just crippled the DWF. It really hurt lights, too. :(

#14 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

I'd go for C-ER-PPC all the time. I even prefer normal PPCs for IS Mechs instead of IS ERLL. Point Damage vs. 1,5sec burn duration spreading dmg to at least 2 components. Also means you are exposed much shorter with PPCs. Takes some skill to aim properly, especially without Targeting Computer, but it's a matter of practice most of the time.

#15 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostStormie, on 13 May 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

If I were running a lynx, (I wouldn't - at five tonnes heavier the arctic cheater, is faster, tougher and has more firepower) I would definitely run a 3xERsmall laser, 2x SRM6 build 2 tonnes of ammo.
If you choose not to be swayed then I would take the PPC Lynx. 2 ERLL is too hot. with either build you have basically no room for heatsinks, the PPC is a ton lighter.

This post right here, every part of it.

The Cheeto has way more build options and is objectively better at everything than the Lynx.

But if you do have to go Lynx, definitely not 2 ERLL: Those burn times show the opposing force where you are, and force you to stay still too long/spread damage everywhere, and run as Stormie said way too hot. PPC's can be fired and forgotten, so you're out of sight before the enemy even gets hit. So, yeah. Go ERPPC if you must.

And yeah, as far as Mist Lynx builds go, ERSL/SRM is IMHO as well the only way to go.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 May 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

This post right here, every part of it.

The Cheeto has way more build options and is objectively better at everything than the Lynx.

But if you do have to go Lynx, definitely not 2 ERLL: Those burn times show the opposing force where you are, and force you to stay still too long/spread damage everywhere, and run as Stormie said way too hot. PPC's can be fired and forgotten, so you're out of sight before the enemy even gets hit. So, yeah. Go ERPPC if you must.

And yeah, as far as Mist Lynx builds go, ERSL/SRM is IMHO as well the only way to go.

I favor 4ERML actually. The MLX just dies too easily in SRM engagements. Stay at 400-500M and use your JJ to find positions to peek. Keep moving. Takes expert heat management but it's the best MLX build IMO. I used it to master the last three MLXs and averaged around 500 damage and carried a 2.5ish KDR. Not bad for a horrible chassis.

#17 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostTercieI, on 14 May 2016 - 09:04 AM, said:

I favor 4ERML actually. The MLX just dies too easily in SRM engagements. Stay at 400-500M and use your JJ to find positions to peek. Keep moving. Takes expert heat management but it's the best MLX build IMO. I used it to master the last three MLXs and averaged around 500 damage and carried a 2.5ish KDR. Not bad for a horrible chassis.

Yeah, this depends a lot on level of play though IMHO. The OP is a new player, so probably T5, maybe T4.

At lower tiers, the higher damage and easier heat management from the SRM/ERSL build tends to work really well coupled with your tier mates inability to hit a speedy light :)

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 May 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

Yeah, this depends a lot on level of play though IMHO. The OP is a new player, so probably T5, maybe T4.

At lower tiers, the higher damage and easier heat management from the SRM/ERSL build tends to work really well coupled with your tier mates inability to hit a speedy light :)

Fair points. (Aside from describing the MLX as "speedy."

#19 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

It's only CQC in Mechs that favor CQC. Long range, with the exception of AC/2, AC/5, and Gauss, tends to rely on high-heat weaponry and thus needs to carry enough heatsinks to offset this. Having high mounts is also extremely useful.

Edited by Valar13, 14 May 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#20 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Addition: Long-range is almost universally heavier than short-range; high-damage long-range universally, full-stop. Meaning it's good to have a 'Mech that carries a reasonable amount of LR firepower and ammo over one that carries a single weapon with either low damage or minimal ammo.

Edited by Valar13, 14 May 2016 - 02:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users