Campaign Mode?

4 replies to this topic

#1 radmin13

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

While I realize it would essentially be a new game, I feel a campaign/story mode is something missing from the current game. Maybe have it something you pay for if that's the case. There could be 2 primary campaigns. Inner Sphere and Clan, and maybe a unique mission or 2 depending on which house/clan you choose. It would be a great way for new players to learn the mechanics without feeling overwhelmed in online play, and another way for veterans to enjoy it.
On top of earning c-bills for kills, objectives etc., you could also earn salvage(loot). *going to start taking a "mmo-ey" turn now*. It wouldnt be just "you got 2 medium lasers". It could be more like "you got 1 Brand A medium laser and 1 Brand B medium laser", and have minor differences depending on the manufacturer of the weapon. Kind of like how quirks currently work, but are part of the weapon not the mech. Salvage could also contain mech parts; arms, legs, torsos, head. You would have the option to scrap, sell, or save. Selling is self explanatory. You could save up enough components to build a particular mech. Or you could scrap it all and use the materials to construct new equipment or repair what you have instead of using c-bills.
The special and hero mechs currently in game could act as boss fights. The AI could be tougher than whatever difficulty you chose. Maybe they have a special ability not normally available to players. You could have a small chance to get a component from them, and even smaller to get the mech itself.
The campaign could be solo play or co-op, having the difficulty/number of AI scale depending on players. Maybe have it be continuous. Missions/contracts would be randomly generated. Each house/clan could have its own hub where players can meet and trade, recruit, or challenge one another.

TL;DR: MWO MMO

#2 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

Unfortunatly it seems making the AI necessary for a single player game is difficult enough that it would take a long time to develop it.
That and i guess PGI makes more money selling mechs and they are faster to create as well.
Not to mention a campaign would demand new maps for each mission....So many obstacles.

I want a campaign too but i think that is something we might never see.

#3 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

I wish that PGI would run a kickstarter champagne to make a singleplayer MW game, ofc reusing MWO models, textures and such.

By doing so they could do it in an upgraded engine that could later port MWO in to it , and by developing better AI and armor models all could be integrated in to MWO so it has many merits for there current product.

But who would make the game, as they can't stop the (slow) work they are doing on MWO , and in what time frame, and even so would people support a kickstarter considering there previous record ?

Even if PGI came out tomorrow and said sure kickstarter this that they will reuse everything they can, it would probly take about a year for the making and another one for testing and improving ... if they aim for more than an unfinished beta... they would probly need to hire a separate team for this job.

It sounds doable and I would love if NGNG could get Russ to do a whole episode to explaining what could be done, what not and why.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 15 May 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#4 SoulReaver7500

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 15 May 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Unfortunatly it seems making the AI necessary for a single player game is difficult enough that it would take a long time to develop it.
That and i guess PGI makes more money selling mechs and they are faster to create as well.
Not to mention a campaign would demand new maps for each mission....So many obstacles.

I want a campaign too but i think that is something we might never see.

PGI does not have any programmers with this type of AI skill. It is one of the main reasons that MechWarrior is slowly dying

#5 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostSoulReaver7500, on 17 May 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

PGI does not have any programmers with this type of AI skill. It is one of the main reasons that MechWarrior is slowly dying

The first part is mostly true, but I disagree with the second part.

They DO have programmers who can do AI, but they spend their time on the other games PGI makes.
The entire company is only 60-ish people. And that includes secretaries, and managers, and HR, and IT, and all those people who don't actually contribute to the product in any meaningful way. And their development team is split between different projects most of the time.
Which only leaves a couple actual programmers working on MWO at any given time.

It wouldn't take much effort to redirect some resources to MWO, but they can't justify a return on investment, so it's probably never going to happen.

And the game isn't dying, it's always been a half-dead corpse shambling around in BattleTech's closet and bumping into stuff. Sometimes it gets more enthusiastic in its rummaging and moaning, but it always quiets back down again.

Edited by Elendil, 18 May 2016 - 12:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users