#41 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 18 May 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

Actually, I'm going to disagree with that claim. I took myself out of Tier 4 by only playing fully leveled mechs and really focusing on doing the things that generate high scores (protecting/being protected, lance in formation, etc.) for several weeks.

After reaching the mid-point of Tier 3, I resumed my normal play style and started leveling mechs again. I have fallen back to barely within Tier 3 while playing another 1000 matches.

I'm pretty sure you aren't guaranteed a climb to Tier 1 just by playing a lot.

Well, yes and no. You have to (honestly) do really badly (read, lose a lot) for your PSR to drop. However, a single win that increases your PSR will increase it more than several losses.

Not to mention that PSR is rated more in favor of wins than actual individual performance, all you honestly have to do to get your PSR to raise is win as much as you lose. Even if you lose a little more than you win (1 win per 2 losses), you should remain even or even still go up.

As far as if it will send everyone up to T1... My Stock only account (I literally play only stock unaltered mechs with SHS, and tech level 1 gear) started out at T4. It's actually almost up to T3! (Same tier as my main account currently, but obviously my main is higher along the tier.) So, either I'm really great at the game, good with stock mechs in basic non-upgraded mechs... or PSR wishes to just push everyone up to T1 eventually (or at least higher in tier).

And yes. I know. I'm crazy for running stock mechs only (on a second account, so as not to be confused with my main account).

#42 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostTesunie, on 18 May 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

Well, yes and no. You have to (honestly) do really badly (read, lose a lot) for your PSR to drop. However, a single win that increases your PSR will increase it more than several losses.

Not to mention that PSR is rated more in favor of wins than actual individual performance, all you honestly have to do to get your PSR to raise is win as much as you lose. Even if you lose a little more than you win (1 win per 2 losses), you should remain even or even still go up.

As far as if it will send everyone up to T1... My Stock only account (I literally play only stock unaltered mechs with SHS, and tech level 1 gear) started out at T4. It's actually almost up to T3! (Same tier as my main account currently, but obviously my main is higher along the tier.) So, either I'm really great at the game, good with stock mechs in basic non-upgraded mechs... or PSR wishes to just push everyone up to T1 eventually (or at least higher in tier).

My vote is that you're great.

#43 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:21 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 18 May 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

My vote is that you're great.

Hardly. I'll be highly disappointed if/when my Stock account gets up to T3... My Stock account having the same PSR as my main account? That would be CRAZY! Yet... kinda sad. Because I obviously should not be preforming the same as my main account in matches. (Not unless I just do stupid on my main.)

#44 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostAraevin Teshurr, on 16 May 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

If you can reach Tier 2 and Tier 1 as a solo pug mech pilot, you are really good. Most people get to the upper Tiers only by playing in lances, on TS with their unit, to make it easy for themselves to get wins.

The solo pilot that can do the same is far superior if they can reach those Tiers alone.

Neh... if you reach tier one it just means you played a lot. I am happily going up in the ranks as we speak despite being quite bad and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

#45 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

The psr tier rating favors doing well or better than average consistently. If you are consistent in being say in the top 3-5 damage on your team even in losses you will continue to go up. Just over a month into the game and midway through tier 3 but my previous game I just left translates pretty well. Having a "breakout" game with over 1k damage and 6-7 kills etc. seems to have a limit in how much you go up. Pretty sure there's a bottom of how much a single game can lose you also. Like 1k or 2k damage and 5-8 kills the psr advancement is the same (maxed). The same seems to be true on a derp loss with sub 100 damage for amount you lose.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

View PostFLINTCOIN, on 19 May 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

The psr tier rating favors doing well or better than average consistently. If you are consistent in being say in the top 3-5 damage on your team even in losses you will continue to go up. Just over a month into the game and midway through tier 3 but my previous game I just left translates pretty well. Having a "breakout" game with over 1k damage and 6-7 kills etc. seems to have a limit in how much you go up. Pretty sure there's a bottom of how much a single game can lose you also. Like 1k or 2k damage and 5-8 kills the psr advancement is the same (maxed). The same seems to be true on a derp loss with sub 100 damage for amount you lose.

On this note, no matter what the "max" is on each side, you always can gain more than you can lose. Even a 0 damage 10 match score match on a loss doesn't lose you as much as you gain on a barely over 100 match score on a win. This is why many of us say "you'll go up eventually no matter what". Is it possible for you to drop in PSR? Yes. Is it likely? Not very. You are more likely to stay even or go up under normal given situations.

#47 A_Ninja

Rookie

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

PSR is irrelevant if the team does not communicate and move as a coordinated unit. I have seen entire teams of pilots with high PSR get steam rolled because they are playing MWO like its a Call of Duty deathmatch. We all need to remember that no one pilot can win alone. No single lance can win alone. It takes an entire drop team do win. I agree that PSR is gained through wins and damage. But wins are gained through teamwork. Too many pilots play for kills and not for team victory. 1 - Stay as a group.
2 - Fire from cover. 3 - Dont block shots with your face.

#48 m2wester

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:40 AM

View PostFLINTCOIN, on 19 May 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thing is, you do not need to be better than average consistently. Even is you are slightly below average, you'll rise, because on average, more points are gained than lost. You need to be significantly worse than average to drop/stay level.

Take me. I'm in tier 3. I never had a 1000dmg+ game, my win/loss ratio is 813 / 818, my kill-death-ration is just 0.78. All in all, I'm not horrible, but I'm pretty sure I'm not above average in this tier, yet I'm gaining ground.

I'm not sure if I'll get to tier 1 (depends on how good tier 2 is), but even without improving myself as a player, I'll probably reach Tier 2 by the end of the year... and I don't think I should.

#49 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm T1 but my K/D is 0.96 and W/L is 0.99 (with newer mechs, the stats are much better)

I started at 0.3 K/D and 0.5 W/L at the end of August? when I had joined my unit and actually saw my stats. T5 when PSR came out. All in all, I'm not really convinced about PSR. I'm not a great player at all.

It's your recent stats that matter. All you need to do to get to T1 faster, is just score ~400 dmg a game, every game.

#50 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 22 May 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

All you need to do to get to T1 faster, is just score ~400 dmg a game, every game.

Sad... but true.

It's easier to control your damage than it is if the team will win or not. (Which still isn't a guarantee that you can do X damage.)

#51 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostTesunie, on 18 May 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Hardly. I'll be highly disappointed if/when my Stock account gets up to T3... My Stock account having the same PSR as my main account? That would be CRAZY! Yet... kinda sad. Because I obviously should not be preforming the same as my main account in matches. (Not unless I just do stupid on my main.)

A unit mate created an alt account, went from T5 to T4 in (I think 5 games) with the trial Jagermech a few weeks back . He thought there might be some sort of PSR boost when you're a new account.

As you know, the PSR calculations took into account all games from Jan2015 for the original PSR rating and there is no such possible bonus for your main.

#52 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 17 May 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I just wish they system didn't reward sloppy gunnery (read lots of damage required per kill) so much or at the very least rewarded you for being efficient with your shots (read very little damage required per kill)....

I don't know why 'sloppy' gunnery is always equated with doing more damage, since you get bonus damage for acing components/weapons, which is the opposite of 'sloppy' gunnery. And if you are sloppy, especially at the higher tiers, you're going to get wrecked quite quickly and not survive to do much damage.

The only thing I equate with sloppy damage is LRM whoring.

Damage output is generally a good thing, and focused damage output is of course better.

Personally, I view pugging it up to Tier 2/1 as an accomplishment. Again, its weighted towards advancing, but certainly in the pug draw you get a damn overload of painfully-bad teams who get wrecked and wash you along with it. Easiest way would be to play exclusively in a good coordinated group farming wins.

#53 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 22 May 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

A unit mate created an alt account, went from T5 to T4 in (I think 5 games) with the trial Jagermech a few weeks back . He thought there might be some sort of PSR boost when you're a new account.

As you know, the PSR calculations took into account all games from Jan2015 for the original PSR rating and there is no such possible bonus for your main.

Yes. New accounts get a boosted change rate to their PSR earned/lost. This is to help new players to quickly get placed into the proper PSR tier.

Everyone's account was preadjusted when PSR came out, and then also was treated as though they all were new accounts. My main account quickly went from mid/high T4 (the same rank my Stock only account started at for some reason) and right into T3. Once I hit T3, the starting bonus was over, so I've been raising in rank since, but very slowly.

My alternate account started off as T4, and now that I'm playing it again, it is steadily raising to T3 as well, even though I'm not gaining as much PSR rank because I'm in stock mechs. I do well in stock mechs, but they are still tech level 1 stock mechs. They aren't going to look to just about any customized mech with tech higher than level 1 (DHS being the big one) and stomp it. (I have to be sneaky, and try to use my mech's full capabilities to fight on an even footing. Hit and run is the main thing I do. Attacking from unexpected angles also helps.)

AKA: All accounts got a "starting bonus", rather because they are new, or when PSR first was released. I don't know how long nor how much it influences PSR changes, I just know it's there...

#54 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

BATTLEMASTER BLR-3M 1,362 681 599 1.14 985 1,098 0.90 484,910 1,119,160 5 days 05:56:43

1,362 matches on my 3M alone!

Add in all other mechs and I'm over 3k matches in PUGs.

Still clawing my way upto tier 1 tho, haha.

Btw scoring around 400 damage doesn't guarantee a ^ in PSR. You need to get at least 250 match points in a loss to break even. I think its over 350 to get a ^ during a loss.

#55 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostCryll Ankiseth, on 24 May 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

Btw scoring around 400 damage doesn't guarantee a ^ in PSR. You need to get at least 250 match points in a loss to break even. I think its over 350 to get a ^ during a loss.

When half your damage seems to be converted directly into Match Score, a 400 damage match is basically already 200 match score base. Than add in any component destruction (also damage related), scouting, Assists (also damage related), Kills (also damage related), Kill Most Damage Dealt (also damage related), Solo Kills (also damage related), etc...

Basically, if you've dealt 400 damage in a match, you probably are at least remaining even, if not going up in PSR even in the case of a loss.

However, winning is still the best way to increase PSR. But PSR does seem to reward dealing damage more than actual teamwork. It seems to reward more selfish play (in my opinion).

#56 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

YOU ARE A BETTER MECH PILOT IF...

You are willing to look objectively at your performance, learn from it, and adjust your piloting in the next match.

Do that consistently and you are on the path to true mechwarrior enlightenment.

Namaste.

Edited by Khereg, 24 May 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#57 Axex

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationInterned on Yorii

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Agreed

#58 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Obvious troll is obvious.

#59 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

You are a better pilot if... you wreck enemy mechs with urbanmech.

Edited by Jumping Gigolo, 15 December 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#60 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

. . . you are actively engaging the enemy.

Nothing is more aggravating than fighting a pitched battle, being down a few at the end and getting to watch a fresh assault 'Mech creeping around capping or taking a pot shot every other minute. Okay, I tell a lie, I'ts actually even more aggravating when that pilot acts smug* about being the last one alive and managing to off one or two severely damaged enemies for a grand total of 150 match damage. But hey - kdr preserved, amirite?

* Bonus points if they berate their team on voice after remaining dead silent during the match.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 15 December 2016 - 09:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users