• 7,518 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Tier 5 scrubs, Tier 1 scrubs, all made in Taiwan,

#82 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

I think if your T1 max and stay there and mostly solo Q, you gotta be an OK pilot.
In regular units T1 ain't that common.
Of course gated and super merc groups are a different story

#83 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostA Cultist, on 16 December 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

If you want a good estimate of your quality of play-consider KMDD as the most important.

I'd say solo-kill. Any Mech Warrior can spread damage, and he could spread your damage and it took you so much damage to just kill him, then he just did his job well, by wasting your time.

Like LRMs, they are terribly inefficient weapon due to that spread -- scary as they may seem, though they tend to get good amount of damage, doesn't matter if you hit your enemy with a 60 LRM volley if the sidetorsi got 20 damage each, and 20 damage on CT. Whereas a good PPFLD Gauss PPC would have dealt 50 damage at a single component, quickly stripping it off and be vulnerable to be killed.

#84 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:40 AM

To be a better pilot you need a range of skills in different aspects of the game, as has been said.

In my view a quick run down of those skills would be

1) Make my mech do what I want skills
2) I can hit what I aim at skills
3) I know the best places on all maps skills
4) I know and can implement and counter common tactics and strategies on each map skills
5) I can adapt to the unexpected skills
6) I can anticipate whats going to happen next and take advantage of it skills
7) I can maintain my own and my teams morale skills
8) I can communicate and make things happen skills
9) I can build mechs better than the enemy skills

Their's more but this is a quick list.
Being some what skilled in most aspects yields the best results. Also having strong skills in one area can cover weakness in other areas.

However sometimes those weak skills are like the weak link in the chain, fixing those weaker skills can raise you to a new level.

Skills are more than just gunnery and piloting.

Knowledge and using it to maximum effect is also a skill

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 May 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#85 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

... you get over 1.0 k/d and w/l without using the meta.

#86 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 May 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

Like LRMs, they are terribly inefficient weapon due to that spread -- scary as they may seem, though they tend to get good amount of damage, doesn't matter if you hit your enemy with a 60 LRM volley if the sidetorsi got 20 damage each, and 20 damage on CT. Whereas a good PPFLD Gauss PPC would have dealt 50 damage at a single component, quickly stripping it off and be vulnerable to be killed.

Though Pin Point has it's advantages, there are ways one can use spread as an advantage. It does depends upon the opponent and the situation, but say someone (or even yourself) strip the armor off a single location (say a side torso), and you opponent is very good at shielding their damaged side, the spread mechanic can overcome good shielding and still damage or even destroy said damaged side torso being shielded from you.

As most people tend to boat LRMs, as well as shoot at any lock they see... This aspect is commonly (and rightfully) seen as a weakness instead. Depend too much on it, and spread becomes a very large weakness. (I do hope this makes sense the way I typed it, because I'm commonly doing this to my opponents with my LRMs, but then again I'm not boating LRMs only...)

#87 SpiffyJack

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTortuga Prime Tortuga Dominion

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Many plausible responses I read!

But here's mine:

All pilot are good pilots if they enjoy being a pilot. (face it, some pilots should be mechanics instead) But if they are comfortable in the cab, that's a good start.

Being comfortable in the cab meaning:

--- Which MECH suits your style?
--- How many controls (firing, consumables, targeting, communications etc...) can you respond too?
--- Can you take or give orders?
--- Can you take or give criticism?
--- Can you operate a MECH (know how the MECH climbs, falls, fly's, takes damage etc) within your means?
--- Can you manage your MECH's (heat, speed, ammo, damage etc..) systems?
--- Are you a Solo or Team pilot?
--- How do your match results affect you?

Those seem like pretty generic questions right? But they determine how and where a MECH pilot will operate.

It just get's down to who does what best in the MECH which they are piloting at the time they choose to be a real pilot.

#88 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

If you shoot something b4 you die.....

#89 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 May 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

[...]If you are the first one dead all the time, than it sounds like problem one may be you are playing too aggressively compared to your teammates.

I'm not saying to "sit out back", but try to stay with your team more, instead of pushing ahead of your team. (I'm taking a guess here.)

That does happen from time to time, usually when I'm in a light mech. It's something I've been working on. Usually, though, I am hanging back a lot, non-aggressively in the mid-game.

Another thing to consider is communication. Are you talking to your team at all?

Depends on the day. Not usually, though. I don't usually speak unless I'm scouting or I spot something coming on our flank.

Something else you can consider is how your mechs are made.

I'm not much for some metas. PPC/Gauss isn't a favorite. I will pull designs from Mechspecs or I'll run with something I saw in a video or stream. I've used some from NGNGtv that work out very well.

Last thing I can suggest is possibly seeing how your computer is running the game. Are you getting good frame rates? No? Check and reduce your graphic settings maybe. Is your internet being solid (Host State Rewind, a mechanic to compensate for latency/lag doesn't like internet that moves too much in PING)? No? Can you hard wire your computer to your internet if on wireless? Is there any way to adjust your internet to make it more stable? Having a hard time keeping your weapons on target? Have you adjusted your mouse sensitivity? The default mouse sensitivity is set to max within the game settings. Reduce this to help when lining and keeping shots on target. (And many other possibilities.)

Wired, usually 30 fps, good ping in NA, decent in Europe, and my mouse sensitivity is 1.8. I can track well, but torso twisting at that setting is sluggish at best. I end up turning left and right to help with twisting. If I turn my legs while firing, I can't keep on target. The reticule moves with the legs even when I'm trying to stay on target.

So, without looking at your builds, computer or even how you play, I can't really recommend or help anything specifically. Of course, I'd also advise one to not worry too much about PSR and just play the game and have fun. It's a nice goal to motivate you, but shouldn't be something to depress you. PSR is inherently designed to push people up more than down, but people can drop in levels if they are not doing well enough in the tier they currently are placed (because in theory the higher your tier, the tougher your opponents).

I suggest you just play the game for the fun of it and not worry about your PSR or any other singular stat. Leave it as a goal to have, but don't stress over it. It's a game. Games are to have fun with, not to produce unneeded stress. Normal life provides plenty enough of that...

Thanks, Tesunie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users