A Question Of Control

7 replies to this topic

#1 PapaShootz

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hey there folks,
I was just wondering how well MWO performs when using a control stick? Saw a logitech extreme 3D Pro at a going out of business sale and picked it up for stupid cheap, so I figured I'd ask you vets if you've used stick before and if they work better/same than mouse and keyboard.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

As I understand it, there are whole threads on control stick gaming, but the consensus is for aiming, you want a mouse for pinpoint accuracy. That said, I've heard great things about throttle sticks, and I'm sureearly on learning the game that way will be a blast. Don't worry bout it till you've tried it, and come to your own consensus.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 15 May 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

some people apparently use sticks well, but I have tried with my Saitek x52 pro HOTAS and found keyboard and mouse easier, but yes some people do use sticks and some like a stick for the off hand.

hopefully someone who does that will be along a bit later to offer more accurate suggestions.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:10 AM

View PostTheHungryOrc, on 15 May 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

Hey there folks,
I was just wondering how well MWO performs when using a control stick? Saw a logitech extreme 3D Pro at a going out of business sale and picked it up for stupid cheap, so I figured I'd ask you vets if you've used stick before and if they work better/same than mouse and keyboard.

The game's joystick support is lackluster at best. No look spring functionality, very jerky controls. Zero analog functionality (if it had this and lookspring then joysticks would be nearly equal to a mouse in most aspects.)

You can tie it to movement and functions (jump, power, target, etc) instead and get some pretty good functionality out of it.

Even then, no analog in anything except throttle, so turning is always full speed.

#5 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:29 AM

I personally feel that joystick and mouse is more or less ideal for this game. HOS Joystick for movement and systems control (targeting, vision modes, consumables, battlegrid, blahblah) and mouse for aiming and fire control only. Basically stick for legs, mouse torso + arms.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:48 AM

Ive heard of some people usingva stick for movement and having moderate success.

I really wanted to buy a good stick when I got into this game but the smart money back then (and still is) unfortunately on a good gaming mouse.

#7 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 May 2016 - 02:10 AM, said:

The game's joystick support is lackluster at best. No look spring functionality, very jerky controls. Zero analog functionality (if it had this and lookspring then joysticks would be nearly equal to a mouse in most aspects.)

I don't know much about joysticks but if the game only takes digital input, does a 3 party program exists, or could be made, that can modulate the input before it is sent to the game that could do what you said it needed?

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 18 May 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

I don't know much about joysticks but if the game only takes digital input, does a 3 party program exists, or could be made, that can modulate the input before it is sent to the game that could do what you said it needed?

Issue is the game doesn't really take it. At best it could 'pulse' full turns rather than allow a hold of full turn for a partial turn.

The difference is akin to taking your car.
Analog input would be the gas pedal.
Digital input would be great, too, but it only accepts toggle input.
That is you replace your gas pedal with a "On" "Off" switch.

Flip on. Full throttle.
Flip off. No throttle.
Worse: Remove laws of physics like inertia. Remove the functionality and need for brakes. So sudden go, sudden stop.
That's it.

For perspective, assume full throttle is to instantly go 100 mph without acceleration.

>.> That's how it is. If you wanted to go a short distance you'd rapidly hit on/off/on/off. That's about what software could do since the game doesn't accept analog input (on anything but throttle)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users