Kodiak (1,2+3) Initial Impressions And Builds

27 replies to this topic

#21 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

I'm surprised, not overly but a bit, that most laser builds revolve either around C-SPL or C-LPL.

My KDK-1 trades a bit of range (compaired to the C-LPL) for more firepower and a boat load (27) of heat sinks.
It gets cold as fast as it gets hot with core range of 486m, while the SRMs add some short range damage with less heat.

Edited by Brethren, 24 November 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#22 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

I think that is because it feels intrinsically safer to be able to alpha over and over again. 8)

#23 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostChi Guy 1, on 24 November 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

The latest patch ruined my Kodiak builds. I spent a lot of c-bills and real money to build and elite my Kodiaks. That last patch ruined my Kodiaks.............. They messed up ballistic weapons AND the performance of the Kodiak AFTER i invested time and money into it.

Chi Guy

Ditto

#24 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostChi Guy 1, on 24 November 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

The latest patch ruined my Kodiak builds. I spent a lot of c-bills and real money to build and elite my Kodiaks. That last patch ruined my Kodiaks. I want a refund if they don't put Kodiak back to where it was before the rippoff patch. They messed up ballistic weapons AND the performance of the Kodiak AFTER i invested time and money into it.

Chi Guy

Hahahahaha.

#25 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostBrethren, on 24 November 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'm surprised, not overly but a bit, that most laser builds revolve either around C-SPL or C-LPL.

The cLPLas was the best laser weapon for a while, and even after last patch nerf I think it still is. Good firepower and damage/heat ratio, short beam duration, good range. It's also very versatile, which makes it a great PUG weapon.
The cSPLas is less versatile, but is one of the best brawling weapon: high dps, short beam duration, good firepower/tonnage ratio,... I'm personnally not a fan of backup weapons, but on a KDK it's perfect for the role.

#26 Chi Guy 1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

Arugela - You make good points but I respectfully disagree with: "If you mess with enough of these tactics the changes won't ruin the kodiaks. It will make you learn all of their intended tactics and learn to maximize them. Always look at their default builds first. They are there for a reason to show you something."

The biggest issue I have with this statement is the degraded torso twist forces me to approach cover at a steeper angle versus parallel to it. This has greatly compromised the ability to pull back behind cover especially when you are piloting such a large mech. The result is the opponent is allowed to get in one or two additional hits more often than before. Those additional hits add up throughout the course of the match. If the Kodiak were not so large this may not be as big of an issue.

MWO even stated in the patch note they were degrading the torso twist to mirror some other mech. The mech they mirrored has a much lower profile than the Kodiak so that ridiculous justification MWO offered makes no sense. Additionally, they did not let me know they were going to neuter the line BEFORE I invested many resources into it. The patch occurred not to long AFTER I purchased the Kodiak Bundle. I purchased the bundle based on the performance I experience with the line. I purchased the line AFTER several days of research into the best mech for the gaming experience I was seeking. None of this factored into their manifesto.

Finally, they still charge the same prices for the line AFTER degrading the performance. Do you think it is fair to degrade performance yet still charge the same premium prices?

Again, your response is well thought out and well received. Thank you very much for the details you included. This is my response to it.

Edited by Chi Guy 1, 17 December 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#27 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

KDK-3 still best mech.

Other Kodiaks are still very decent.

They reduced twist range to the same as the Direwhale, which cannot move faster than 52 kph, which has low, knuckle dragging hardpoints, and has had its strongest payloads nerfed 5 times in the last year and a half, and still has negative quirks on some variants.

Are you really complaining about the Kodiak pack after it's out for c-bills now?

#28 Chi Guy 1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 17 December 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

KDK-3 still best mech.

Other Kodiaks are still very decent.

They reduced twist range to the same as the Direwhale, which cannot move faster than 52 kph, which has low, knuckle dragging hardpoints, and has had its strongest payloads nerfed 5 times in the last year and a half, and still has negative quirks on some variants.

Are you really complaining about the Kodiak pack after it's out for c-bills now?

I paid real usd fo the bundle BEFORE they degraded the performance. Prior to the bundle I purchased the Kodiak variants for around 16,000,000 c-bills each.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users