The Kodiak - Kdk-1 "badger" (Video Review)

9 replies to this topic

#1 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:54 PM

Here is the first part of three videos I will make for the Kodiak Bear of the KDK-1,KDK-2 and the KDK-3.. The hit boxes should be fixed, the overall design is sound and liked playing it in the 5 matches I got to play in three hours (the wait time was horrible)...

I never did try a lbx-20 but I like it and the spread is far better than the IS version.. I did find that if you place 6-8 med lasers or pulse lasers you will overheat like mad.. I tried plenty of builds but this one is sound in firepower and overall not going to heat to death....

I give you the Kodiak KDK-1 "The Badger"

Check out in the next couple of days as I will have the KDK-2 and KDK-3 made by sunday I hope if all goes well and time permits...

#2 Zarock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

Lrms? Just no.

#3 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:46 AM

I'm seeing Kodiak pilots get 1200 damage with these 'broken' hitboxes

#4 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

GIGA!! DRILLLLL.... BREEEEAAAAKKK!!!!!

#5 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostZarock, on 22 May 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Lrms? Just no.

LRMs must be making a come back. My Kodiaks can't avoid them with there center torso. I think 99% of the missiles hit me in my CT no matter how much I twist. It was so bad I put an AMS on one of them and it helped marginally. I think 90% must have gotten through to my CT.

Odd thing is I run all my Kodiaks with Radar Dep. module too.

Personally I hate using LRMs, never have liked them. Too easy to avoid, but not in the Kodaik. Got so bad I actually made an LRM build with my Spirit Bear. And I have to say LRMs work way better than I remember. Heat - No Problem, Kills - 2-4 per match, Kills most damage - 2 per match (sometimes more), total damage - always above 8.

I can tell you what I won't use on any of my Kodiaks anymore. UACs. Maybe I just have bad luck, but the jam rate on them is just wacked out. I usually don't fire them repeatedly until I am in close range, which is when they should have a jam chance. I jam almost every time on my first shot. I noticed that because I usually delay a second to decrease jam change. So I fire and release, and it seems like 9 out of 10 times it jams at that point. LOL, but not funny.

#6 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

My KDK-1 uses 8 SPL, 1 LPL and a UAC20. I find it to be useful. At close range it makes short work of things and the heat is manageable.

Now my KDK2..... I don't know what the heck to do with it.

#7 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

5 LPL on the KD2 was working well for me with consistency, though no truly show-stopping matches going past the 1200 mark. Mind you I don't always use the Max engine; I've been using 375s and stripped Endo at times for extra crit space on some loadouts to cram in more goodies. 1 Gauss, 2 LPL, 4 ER Meds seems alright on the 2 as well.

The KDK-1 I just found going full ham-fisted "moar firepower!" was the most fun given the lack of quirks and bevy of energy slots. Either a UAC20 or something similar, 4 mpl or 8 spl and 2 SRM 6 with art for an overhwelming "I really should not have rounded that corner" moment as you blast then move to cool down or followup with a smaller volley.

If you hit them once, they're mangled. If you get a chance to followup with 2 out of the 3 weapon groups, they're still hurting or likely outright dead. If I twist so much slower, I figure I may as well make it painful to look at it. Definitely crippled with range but... meh. Sometimes you want to feel like a would-be Atlas-buster for variety (even though it isn't). Really need heat management competence to make that work though.

On the Hitboxes:
Spoiler

Edited by Moebius Pi, 22 May 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#8 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostMoebius Pi, on 22 May 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

5 LPL on the KD2 was working well for me with consistency.

I tried a similar build, but I could not get it to work. I was lucky to get off two full weapon rotations before my CT was cored.

A good example is the first match I ran with this. I turned the corner to face another Kodiak. We were one on one. That one was running a dual UAC10 build with ML lasers for backup. I started chain firing (2LPL RA, 2LPL LA, 1LPL CT) I was dead before I got off my 2nd shot with my CT LPL.

The only way I can see this working is if you are able to pick apart enemies focused on someone else and you are not actually taking any fire.

I did try it again, and still had no luck. I have to say that all the Kodiak variant's are actually making me gun shy. They are my most fragile mech with zero ability to spread damage. Sadly, I was most excited about this mech and its possibilities. It thought it would be a game changer. I'd rather take out my Atlas or Direwolf.

It could just be bad luck, but no matter what build I run my CT is pretty much cored by the second hit on my mech. If I run UACs they constantly jam (ironically on any other mech I hardly ever get jams - even on mechs that are not quirked for it). No matter how much I twist, damage goes to the CT.

All I want to do is run an hide in this thing. I have more guts running my mediums, well at least I'd feel safer going face to face with a 100 ton mech in one of my 50 ton mechs that I would in this thing.

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 22 May 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#9 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 22 May 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

Posted Image Deal with it!

#10 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostRaso, on 22 May 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

My KDK-1 uses 8 SPL, 1 LPL and a UAC20. I find it to be useful. At close range it makes short work of things and the heat is manageable.

Now my KDK2..... I don't know what the heck to do with it.

MEGAAAA....DRILLLLL BREAAAAAAKK!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users