- - - - -

Problems With Game In Windows Mode

8 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

It got to where I have to hit Alt and Enter 6 times to get in working.

So I just uninstalled and I'm going to reinstall the game.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 19 May 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

after July if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 it will apparently cost $119, if you have already updated you will not be charged.

I fully agree that Windows 10 on older hardware is not great but if you updated more than a month ago you cannot just roll back (if it is within a month of the update, just search for rollback Windows 10 and you will find instructions), you would have to ether restore a system image backup (which unless you know what I am talking about you are not likely to have) or perform a fresh install to put Windows 7 back (if you do not know how, take the computer to your local computer shop and they will probably be happy to do it for you, but it could be rather expensive).

to set MWO to full windowed mode go to game settings, under the cog icon, bottom right when you are in the Mechlab, I think it is under game settings, there is ether a tick box or a dropdown box, one of the options will be full window, choose that.

#3 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks my friend. I will go there and also look at mouse settings. This new "gaming" mouse I have is odd when clicking at times.

For instance, I cannot use a gauss cannon right now.

I always keep the discs that come with my PC etc. And I have an external hard drive I can ghost my important stuff over. And I was a bit ticked off when i saw my nice Video Card was not being used because Windows 10 never wrote a driver for it.

Well, nothing under settings. I guess deleting and reinstalling might work but would semi suck.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 17 May 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

Settings / Video / Screen Resolution and Windowed Mode (Windowed, Full Windowed, Full Screen)
  • Gauss Rifle is a hold to charge then release. It is no longer a point and click. Tis okay, a number of people who have been gone for awhile as well as new people were not aware of it. Also many will put GR in other unused weapon groups so that the marks around the cross hair light up to indicate when charging/etc for it
  • GR will not work if the weapon group it is in is set to chain fire.
  • If the above does not work, remove all components on mech, save and rebuild. It is rare but it can became bugged.
Disable RedWolf Teamspeak overlay. Also, in TS Settings/Options/Application, make sure Always stay on top is NOT checked.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 May 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#5 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

Any other ideas on how to get out of full screen back into window mode?

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 17 May 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

Anyone have any ideas?

Very simple program called AVG PC Tune-up Utilities will help greatly when you tell it that you want to get performance out of windows rather than 'beauty'.

You can do this manually for free, of course, it's just a little more involved than clicking "Yes" or "No" to recommendations to meet the goal of performance by turning off the excessive graphical bullcrap that is Every version of Windows since 1998.

To do it manually...

First, right click your desktop.
Personalize.
BASIC theme or Windows Classic theme.
Save.

Power options.
Performance (this will make the computer run to standard instead of the power saving b.s.)

CTRL Alt Delete.
Task Manager
Processes. (Do not use show all).
End. Every. Single. Process that is run by your user name that you do not recognize, every process run by "Raptr" if you have an AMD video card (one of them automatically records every time you play the game so you can 'view it later'; I never even noticed the performance hit until while recording with fraps, having lost all the hard drive space nearly three times faster than expected).
Ensure not to end any processes by your anti virus software, Steam if applicable, or MWO.
VProt can close safely, plugin-containers, etc. Note GameOverlay is a Steam application.

This is a royal pain. But worth it.
With MWO, Firefox, youtube, etc. open I have 77 processes running, 24% of 16 gigabytes of RAM in use, 3% of my processor (though it spikes to 14% every so often strangely while typing in here.)

If you can though, AVG PC Tune-up is usually like 30 bucks and it is an incredible time saver. Compared to the hour or so I used to have to spend to make every reinstall of Windows XP look like 98, I can go from normal browsy fun to run hot PC performance in 3 mouse clicks and the setup took less than 7 minutes (including the download and install).
(As with any program, investigate before acquiring or using it because you never know what people might be pushing.)

Also suggest an ad blocker for windows 10. I don't personally run it (I lost the option to upgrade when I had to reinstall windows 7 after a hard drive failure and after all the hard work to get a new disc, lets just say it gets complicated) but from what I have seen the start menu is prone to giving advertisements, visual graphics, etc. I do not know if an ad blocker currently exists but if it does, it'd be worth investigating. Always look into programs before acquiring, never trust the "Download" button without inspecting where it goes (or often, just where it is) and good luck.

Edited by Koniving, 18 May 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 18 May 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Any other ideas on how to get out of full screen back into window mode?

Without going into game settings, Alt Enter, then in game settings to modify resolution and whether it is normal windowed or full windowed mode.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 May 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 May 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Without going into game settings, Alt Enter, then in game settings to modify resolution and whether it is normal windowed or full windowed mode.

I've switched from Windowed, Full Window and to Full Screen and back again. I've reset all of the settings. Nothing works. I do not think it is a "game" problem, it is a Windows problem.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

I guess I am not understand the issue you are experiencing. The launchpad/sign-in screen is always in window form. When you are actually in the game, mechlab, etc, what is occurring?

Edit - just to add, as you mentioned that your system has installed Win10, completely uninstall the GPU driver and reinstall it. Some people have had gaming issues (other games, not just MWO) where the driver was initially fubar'd.

2nd Edit

And then things get weird. I have TS up and also the game. We are talking about a drop and suddenly my game screen is covered with a much larger copy of TS. I could only see about a 4th of it. I could move it but t would come back and cover most of the game. And I can still go back to the normal TS

2nd question, could you be running a 2nd virtual desktop, thus may be running more than one TS program?

http://windows.micro...-in-windows-10#

If you are able to screenshot what you are seeing, then load them someplace like imgur.com or such to share. As they say, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, please list your system specs and desktop resolution and game resolution (if different). Can generate dxdiag and post the top section to just pass the sound driver info or use Speccy, save info as txt and post that info.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 May 2016 - 10:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users