• 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hi Guys,

i am really struggeling.
Don't find a good build for me.
How do you run the KDK-5?

Currently i am trying 3 CLPL and 6 C-ML
Thanks in advance

Edited by Avengerlx, 18 May 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a26a75092b6f1e9

10MPlas??? well you don't fire the together like Nova, Left Arm, Right Arm. Land them properly, whopping 40dmg each arm, good claw I say.

#3 Avengerlx

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Tried that, but had serious heat problems

#4 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Try this...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f29a725cacadc3b

#5 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

ultra-10, 5 MPL, 6SPL. 9x9 and 6 size coolshots, mk1 computer, 24 doubles, 592 armor. My heat management is 1/2 and the firepower is 86. All the mediums are on 1 group, smalls on another, ultra on its own. I mostly use the ultra-10 and SPL while waiting for the heat scale to drop. I removed the head from an atlas lastnight when it shutdown in front of me... just lined the SPL battery up with the eye and Whammmo.

#6 Avengerlx

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 18 May 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

ultra-10, 5 MPL, 6SPL. 9x9 and 6 size coolshots, mk1 computer, 24 doubles, 592 armor. My heat management is 1/2 and the firepower is 86. All the mediums are on 1 group, smalls on another, ultra on its own. I mostly use the ultra-10 and SPL while waiting for the heat scale to drop. I removed the head from an atlas lastnight when it shutdown in front of me... just lined the SPL battery up with the eye and Whammmo.

sounds good.

#7 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

This might work. Each paw would need its own fire group to avoid ghost heat. Get up close and one-two punch them, and hit them with that UAC/20 double-tap. You got the LPL for a bit of range to suppress people as you move into brawling range. The LPL and SPLs are not in the same ghost heat group.

Alternatively you could go with an ERLL in your CT and TC2 in the left torso instead of the LPL for greater range and slightly less heat, plus the TC buffs.

Finally, you could do something like this to get in one more DHS, but it works out to only 1% more heat efficiency (27 to 28%) and leaves .87 tons unused.

I've not actually tried these builds in pug matches - they're simply based off of my extensive experience building mechs - but I'll go into the testing grounds right now to see how many alphas you can get off before having to cool off (keeping in mind that an alpha consists of one paw plus the UAC followed by the other paw and your UAC's double-tap half a second later).

On Caustic you can get paw 1 + UAC, paw 2 + UAC double tap, paw 1 (UAC is in cooldown still), paw 2 + UAC before you get to the point you must cool off.

Edited by grendeldog, 21 May 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#8 Raiyuken

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

No overheating fun times:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e4f23093119e72

2 LPLs 6 MPLs 2 ERPPC. 104+10 DMG Alpha "Bear" Strike

#9 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

A pure short range build...but shortrange is quite relative with Clan weapons.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5182d15a1266856

If you got enough money equip ERSLas range module and UAC20 cooldown

#10 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

11 Medpls+TC5, rest DHS. Maybe drop endo, dont know exactly :o
Very hot but effective as hell :D
I'll try the 2Lrgpls,2PPC medlaser build. Sounds interesting.

#11 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

I wouldn't feel obligated to use all of those energy hard points because it would be way to hot. It is hard to fit enough DHS to cool any of them.

I would recommend a quad LPL build. I run similar builds on my KDK-1 and KDK-2 and they can fire almost constantly and can really dish out some damage.

Below are a few builds that I would recommend based off my experiences with KDK-1 and 2. Regardless, if you go with a quad LPL build I recommend putting 2 LPLs in WG1 and 2LPLs in WG2 and alternate fire. On the builds with extra weapons put them in WG3 and either fire them all together or chain fire them depending on heat. Actually if you want you can put those weapons in WG3 to fire all at once and WG4 to chain fire (I don't like using 4 weapon groups though) which could work too.

Basic KDK-5: Heat efficient and easy to play. You have to work hard to shutdown in this build.
KDK-5 Making use of some of the extra energy hard points. Not sure the 2MPLs are worth the extra heat, especially if you are using LPL cool down module.
KDK-5 with SPLs: Same issue, might not be as efficient as just 4LPLs. This take on it might work better, but it throws off the weapon groups. I'd like to use that extra ton for a DHS, but had to go Active Probe instead because of crit space, but that could help my team.
Then there is the KDK-5 reduced engine build that boats DHS. This one is quite expensive to build so b sure before you do, but on paper it could be the best build, definitely the 2nd best once you hit speed tweak without a doubt.

For all the builds with SPLs you can use ERMLs instead but they increase your heat. So far I have found the biggest key to success in the Kodiaks is being able to manage the heat. Yes you can alpha big, but if it is avoided or partially avoided people know you are going to shutdown. Shutdown then equals death. Instead I prefer firing all my weapon groups in a chain fire method. Usually after my 2nd cycle through the opponent will freak out a bit as I am still not shutdown.

I am sure there are better builds that the Quad LPL build that I like on my Kodiak's that can do it. But I know this works well and the difficulty to play it is low.

#12 Squarefox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

400 XL, 30 double heatsinks
4 er large lasers, 1 ER-PCC
So we have extreme range and very good coolness.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54b61e8baa14ad9

Achieved 7000 XP in one match with it (without premium time).

Edited by Squarefox, 04 June 2016 - 03:40 AM.

#13 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

FIRE ALL THE LASERS!!!

#14 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostSquarefox, on 03 June 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

400 XL, 30 double heatsinks
4 er large lasers, 1 ER-PCC
So we have extreme range and very good coolness.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...54b61e8baa14ad9

Achieved 7000 XP in one match with it (without premium time).

That's impressive.

#15 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 03 June 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

31 DHS and an alpha of 76 .... wow. How hot does it run? I would think that, if used properly you could take out a mech's ST in only a few seconds with that monster.

#16 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostRaso, on 06 June 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

31 DHS and an alpha of 76 .... wow. How hot does it run? I would think that, if used properly you could take out a mech's ST in only a few seconds with that monster.

it's a troll build. you can't alpha without shutting down due to ghost heat

This is a more realistic build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0baa5b8ee05cee
You can get off 2 alphas before retreating to cool off

#17 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

saying you cant run all the laser builds makes no sense. its called heat management. unless you click ridiculously fast, you can chain fire both claws in the time it takes a mech to peek out of cover and pop back.

plus, with each individual laser hit on exposed internals with TC, you get your 3 rolls at crit chance.

if you really cant manage heat, u can run 4 mpl and 6 spl grouped. just for fun, i'd stick tag in the center for those lrm guys, or as a laser sight for a gauss in the torso.

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

I found the Kodiak unsuitable for toe to toe brawling for me due to its heighty torso weapons and wide spread arm hardpoints.
This in mind I prefere a med ranged fighting style between 200 and 500m.

The Blasterbear
And no this is not a troll build.
Fire both claws separeted, just ERMLasers or at ranges right and left LPLs.
Medium mechs like feisty Stormcrows or Hunchys will just....go away nobody ever sees them again
Most light mechs can't resist a hit from a single claw. jumping Spiders make nice popping sounds while beeing rosted in midair dayum
I saw a lightly damaged Timberwolf loosing his center and side torsoarmor from a single weaponcycle of this beast.

#19 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:00 AM

KDK-5
For those who like to live dangerously. I'm honestly quite amazed that even with ghost heat, firing all 10 small pulses is still reasonably manageable. Gauss rifle allows for some low heat damage output provided you can get the timing right, and the large pulse on its own also doesn't generate as much heat as it could. Obviously best on the not-so-hot maps

#20 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

This is what I run on my KDK-5.

5x cerML
2x cLPL
1x LBX10 w 2t ammo
AMS w 1t ammo
24 DHS
cXL 400

Work as a direct fire support or energy brawler.
Be sure to split the cerML into 2 or more group if you decide to go brawling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users