Ode To The Lights

15 replies to this topic

#1 Seraphim007

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hi all,

Have played about 300 games now, certainly not a "pro tourney player" but I feel like I am pretty darn good.

All of those games are in light mechs, and on average I would say that I get around 2-4 kills and 450-700 damage, spiking as high as 7+ and 1200 on occasion.

Is it just me or does a good light mech have a lot of impact on a match? Moreso than heavier classes imo?

Keeping Alpha lance together, scouting intelligently, guarding the heavies, and striking from flank angles and keeping the enemy firepower split seems to just do so much, as compared to using my Atlas and brawling out the same amount/more damage?

I feel like good light pilots can affect the outcome of a game more than most other classes, what are your thoughts?

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:27 PM

Yes because a coordinated light mech wolfpack is very hard to deal with in puglandia especially if you can get a hammer and anvil kind of thing going. However, light pilots, let alone good light pilots, are very VERY rare these days. Especially ones who aren't only good in whatever light won the quirk lottery this month.

#3 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

Positioning is almost everything in this game so it's not surprising that lights have a lot of carrying potential.

#4 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostSeraphim007, on 28 May 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hi all,

Have played about 300 games now, certainly not a "pro tourney player" but I feel like I am pretty darn good.

All of those games are in light mechs, and on average I would say that I get around 2-4 kills and 450-700 damage, spiking as high as 7+ and 1200 on occasion.

Is it just me or does a good light mech have a lot of impact on a match? Moreso than heavier classes imo?

Keeping Alpha lance together, scouting intelligently, guarding the heavies, and striking from flank angles and keeping the enemy firepower split seems to just do so much, as compared to using my Atlas and brawling out the same amount/more damage?

I feel like good light pilots can affect the outcome of a game more than most other classes, what are your thoughts?

i would say light mechs are the easist to play ...no team work needed. and what was ur build? a cheese light build that doesnt scout at all?

#5 Logan Frost

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:08 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 29 May 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

i would say light mechs are the easist to play ...no team work needed. and what was ur build? a cheese light build that doesnt scout at all?

Lights.

Easy mode.

Lol, son.

Lights are nowhere near the easiest class. Baring a few chassis having borked hitboxes overtime. Sure, they're fast, but they better damn well be, because 20PTs of armor wont do crap against the alpha builds this game flocks to. You HAVE to know whats around the next corner, you HAVE to know how fast you can escape, you HAVE to know when you can throw some damage out.

And lets face it, scouting in this game anymore is a joke. With map voting its the same three maps over and over, everyone goes to the same place to fight.

#6 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:20 AM

View PostLogan Frost, on 29 May 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

Lights.

Easy mode.

Lol, son.

Lights are nowhere near the easiest class. Baring a few chassis having borked hitboxes overtime. Sure, they're fast, but they better damn well be, because 20PTs of armor wont do crap against the alpha builds this game flocks to. You HAVE to know whats around the next corner, you HAVE to know how fast you can escape, you HAVE to know when you can throw some damage out.

And lets face it, scouting in this game anymore is a joke. With map voting its the same three maps over and over, everyone goes to the same place to fight.

ur a joke. lights can run around and poke the easiest. they dont have to worry about team play , since they only care about scoring damage. lights can essentially do as much damage as an assassult with out ever having to play light mech role.

#7 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:54 AM

Lights are also at any time one Alpha from a decent player away from death.

#8 Seraphim007

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

I may disagree with a few sentiments, it's very rare I see any other light mechs throw out more than 250 damage, wolfpacking is also fairly rare since coordination lacks in the general queue, you're doing good if you can prevent them from going off to die alone. Also, if lightmechs are such "easy mode" they wouldn't be consistently the least played and everyone wouldn't dump their rear armor, (by all means, please keep dumping the rear armor)

I actually find lightmechs to be most useful in a team support role (that's what I try to do), staying with the heavies, cleaning up the initial light mech lance into the assault group rush, pop a UAV near the enemy blob, then helping heavies clean up their kills. If I get behind someone and I am ignored, I can take them down VERY fast. I can also keep a lot of attention if I am focused, but terrain, escape routes, and attack angles are pretty critical since a single alpha can kill me or take all my critical systems down.

#9 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

When players are looking to carry they bring heavies. Good light play can sway matches of course, but it requires the team to not suck. Or the enemy team to suck alot. Even teams and the heavies and assaults do most of the work. Lights are too busy trying to stay alive.

#10 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

Hi all,

No, its not just you.. A good light pilot can save a match. I've been known to do quite well in lights myself, my record being in my Wolfhound (743 damage), A light that keeps out of direct confrontations or focusing on a distracted target is lethal, but of course a light that runs solo (which I see far too often) is a dead mech.

Lights are best used to scout the enemy, return to the main force, then wait for an opportunity to strike while everyones focused on larger targets.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

Nice work, good stats.

What tier are you in, purely out of interest?

#12 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostLogan Frost, on 29 May 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

Lights.

Easy mode.

Lol, son.

So true on the maps--during peak times all I see are HPG and Canyon which are both very cruel to a non-JJ light. Very hard to get position or lose dange.

View PostDarthHias, on 29 May 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Lights are also at any time one Alpha from a decent player away from death.

Yesterday I was in my LCT-IV, not paying attention, and a ACH alpha'd into my ST. Insta-kill, from one light to another.

View PostbLeeat, on 29 May 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

ur a joke. lights can run around and poke the easiest. they dont have to worry about team play , since they only care about scoring damage. lights can essentially do as much damage as an assassult with out ever having to play light mech role.

I will say this much: If my team sucks and just wanders about, if I'm in a light, I at least have fun, whereas in a heavy or assault I usually don't. Lights can weave in and out of danger, do their own thing. But nobody can 1 v 12 it--all classes need teamwork.

And what is a "light 'mech role"? I keep reading fatty pilots talking about this. I should ask "What is an assault role?" Is there any one role for a class? No. Different 'mechs perform different roles. I'll never scout in my Oxide because it isn't suited to scouting--any armor scratched from 271m+ is armor I'll need when the brawling begins. I rarely brawl in my SDR-5D, because it's far better at squirrelling, poptarting, and delaying the enemy's Charlie lance. Master a minimum 5 light chassis then talk to us of "the light 'mech role."

#13 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 29 May 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Spoken like someone who has not had 1 drop in a Locust, Raven, Commando, Jenner, Firestarter, Wolfhoud...... well any light for that matter.

#14 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Lights are so overpowered and easy to play that people consider them unfair and won't play them, that's why they are always the lowest % in the queue!

Who would have thought!

Posted Image

#15 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 28 May 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

Yes because a coordinated light mech wolfpack is very hard to deal with in puglandia especially if you can get a hammer and anvil kind of thing going. However, light pilots, let alone good light pilots, are very VERY rare these days. Especially ones who aren't only good in whatever light won the quirk lottery this month.
Yeah good light pilots are rare. Not as rare as good assault pilots, but everyone seems fixated on heavies lately. I very rarely have oh sh** moments in my assaults anymore.

#16 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 29 May 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Yeah good light pilots are rare. Not as rare as good assault pilots, but everyone seems fixated on heavies lately. I very rarely have oh sh** moments in my assaults anymore.

Honestly there's a lot of crossover between the good light and good assault pilot lists but due to clan XL engine 80kph heavy mechs with more than sufficient firepower and armor eclipsing both quick mediums and most assaults most of the switch hitters have been running lights.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 29 May 2016 - 03:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users