Linear Damage Decrease For Srms Too

Gameplay

12 replies to this topic

#1 Farlayeigh Maerka

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

I like my Timberwolf and Atlas SRM brawlers in pug matches.

They are beastly machines when you let them slip too close to you, but they are also

a benevolent provider of free damages whenever you spot one outside its SRM range.

So, I would like the SRMs to also have longer maximum range apart from its

effective range of 270m with linearly decreasing damage.

SRMs in this game always self destruct whenever they have flown 270 meters.(300 with module)

As a SRM brawler, I need to close below 200 meters to effectively get a nice volley,

due to slow speed and spread.

So, the range problem isn't much of an issue whenever I get close successfully.

However, I find it too often to be stuck in a spot where I am completely out-ranged

by mere 40 to 100 meters. I am stuck on a spot where if I close on, there's a grest

likelyhood I get direct spotting from 3+ mechs, so relocating is essential to get out of the mass.

But the probelm is, my self destructing SRMs couldn't even be used

to suppress enemies from free firing at me, and the other enemy mechs all know that.

Successful relocation of a mech, and maintaining reach of your weapon to optimal ranges is

the key to survival in the game, and there are moments when you have to take a risky

maneuver to get to a better firing position. The self destructing SRMs provide an extremely

punishing gameplay to SRM brawlers when doing this. If I accidently encounter enemy mechs

at 300-350 meters when I am relocating, there is nothing I can do but be wrecked or crippled.

ACs and lasers can at least be used to suppress enemies over optimal ranges.

Even with reduced damage, the sole fact that I can hurt them make enemies duck for

cover. With SRMs, they don't even have to duck but just pour out free damage on me.

I would like the same linear damage decrease mechanics introduced to the SRMs

so that I could at least have a chance to strike back at the enemy while relocating

I am not even asking for faster SRM speeds. With slower speeds, SRMs would still be extremly

hard to hit over 300 meters. But I suppose, brawlers would gladly embrace this handicap

because currently, lack of suppressing firepower is what makes brawlers super weak just over

SRM ranges right now.

Edited by Farlayeigh Maerka, 18 May 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#2 operatorZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

Been a TBR srm6 uac20 brawler from day 1 of release.

all your asking for is extended range for SRM's which is nice....for those who use them. But not so nice for those who don't. I like the current balance of having to get within 300 m for them to be effective.

Secondly, even a modest increase in range for reduced damage, let's say if they did 1/2 damage at 350m, why would you waste ammo like that? The point is the splat, the massive damage of the 4srm6 uploaded right into some suckers guts. That kind of impact is worth waiting and conserving ammo for.

Idk, The skill is in getting up close to murder with them...and they do murder already, some say too much. I don't think your going to get much support on this.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

270 meter range is very short, in that I agree. I personally would not mind SRM's default range to be increased to 300. However, it is not that vital--as SRMs do their job well already.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:34 PM

I think it is a good idea, the spread should increase beyond optimal range and a small amount of projectile drop would be interesting too.

SRM6s are already weak at 200m+ due to spread. I don't think this would overpower them.

#5 Farlayeigh Maerka

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

I agree to the answers that the spread, slow speed, and reduced damage would greatly cut down SRM's

effectiveness at longer ranges.

I too always try to fire them at point blank ranges to wreck havoc rather than waste precious ammo and heat

capacity. The prob starts when you accidently encounter those that are 300+ meters from me.

And these three things happen.

1. if you run to them, you expose yourself too much to other hostile mechs nearby that has LOS to you.

2. If you try to find cover and relocate, you are nothing lethal as the SRM cannot be used for suppression AT ALL. Opponents milk you for free damages without fearing SRM AT ALL.

3. if you run to them in assaults, enemy just laughs away by running back faster than me just outside SRM range.

I understand that SRM build is a high risk, high reward build and I want it to stay that way.

It takes patience, aiming, and concentration for finding good pushing locations and I like that approach.

But even with all these efforts, one mistake of being outranged by the enemy

could be the abrupt end of everything.

I saw there weren't many SRM bralwers in a PUG matches and I think this is because

an SRM brawler build is way too punishing for even people who have the ability to

wield them effectively.

Buffed SRMs with different optimal & max ranges would still be a terrible weapon outside optimal range.

Still, they will provide slightly better chances for most players who take risks of

bringing out short range loadouts.

For stellar players who maneuvers quite well, they will find whatever ways possible to close on the enemy

rather than fire them prematurely.

Edited by Farlayeigh Maerka, 18 May 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#6 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

PGI just needs to bring MRMs from tabletop, MW4 and LL into this game.

#7 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 18 May 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

PGI just needs to bring MRMs from tabletop, MW4 and LL into this game.

This^

FFS, PGI could literally just copy+paste the SRMs we already have, tweak their velocities, give them longer range, and call it a MRM.

Tube count would be a bit off from lore, so it wouldn't be perfect, but it'd align well with PGI's reputation for half-arsing things.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

I'd rather have the missiles go off-course once reaching 270m. You know? Like veer off at a random direction.
Like the missiles shot in the MW5 trailer at 0:50.

#9 shakes

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

Naaa. They're too good at what they do to be made better at something they're not intended for.

Just don't make a pure SRM build - add an AC10 or a couple of med lasers into the mix for some extra range.

#10 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 18 May 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

I'd rather have the missiles go off-course once reaching 270m. You know? Like veer off at a random direction.
Like the missiles shot in the MW5 trailer at 0:50.

I agree, instead of just blowing up (which is stupid IMO) they should just start scattering more, and do weird stuff like in that video. Would actually be a more realistic and better mechanic. Dunno what its really going to do for Gameplay though most hold their SRM until around 200m or so anyway.

Edited by Revis Volek, 18 May 2016 - 11:34 PM.

#11 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

Veering off or dropping due to expended fuel would be cool. But they should keep full damage. Why should a warhead explode less at 300m than at 270m? SRMs are balanced as they are though, this would just be a cool immersion thing. No other weapon system puts out so much damage for so little heat in such a light package.

#12 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

View Postadamts01, on 18 May 2016 - 11:33 PM, said:

Veering off or dropping due to expended fuel would be cool. But they should keep full damage. Why should a warhead explode less at 300m than at 270m? SRMs are balanced as they are though, this would just be a cool immersion thing. No other weapon system puts out so much damage for so little heat in such a light package.

why would a high explosive shell from a AC20 do less damage past optimal range... (mech warior and =/= reality)

#13 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostL3mming2, on 19 May 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

why would a high explosive shell from a AC20 do less damage past optimal range... (mech warior and =/= reality)
Clearly this game is a wreck, this is just a small example of something that can be done to enhance immersion/realism. I'd be fine with AC rounds doing full damage their entire flight path too. If you can lob one at 45 degrees and pop a mech from across the map, you deserve a hit. If people want to waste all their ammo hoping to get lucky from 4,000m that's fine with me too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users