Anyone Relay Fascinated By The Kodiak?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:02 AM

Is it just me or is it just not my mech?
I realy fail to have fun or being successfull in my Kodiaks 1-3.

The only partialy good one is K3 with 4 UAC5 and 4 MPL.

K1 and K2, hmmm I realy dont konw how to play it.
K1: 1 UAC20, 6 MPL, 2 LRMA 10, 375 XL
K2: 1 UAC20, 3 LPL, 1 LRMA 10

Sorry for the LRM but I need them in this mech.
SRMA 6 dont work for me in the Kodiaks.

Any tips for different configs or is it just "**** happens" for me?
It looks like this mech will dust in hanger after mastering.

Thanks and have fun,

Markus

#2 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

Best ive come up with for kdk1

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a89fb92b7dffda8
Drop 2dhs and put uac20 or lbx20 to your preference and depending on how well you can manage heat.
Also you can change ersl to spl, lpl to erll and add extra dhs.

For kdk2

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...30655374f80268e
Again change ballistics to your liking.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:26 AM

Try this config for KDK-1. Chiefly use your right side to poke with your Gauss + lasers from long to medium range, and once your right side is gone, use the left side lasers + SRMs at medium to short range fights. KDK-1 GAUSSVOMIT

Edited by El Bandito, 20 May 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:31 AM

try playing like a meta clan mech. So basically it's a TBR or EBJ. If you try to go toe to toe with the usual meta IS laser vomit, I find it rekt just like in those heavies. too short burn and quirks will cripple you just as quick at those shorter ranges. Basicallly control range as much as possible and don't be at 3-400m. And also don't face hug the KDK-3s

#5 zephoidb

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:03 AM

I'm running LBX20 +2LL +2LPL then a bunch of heatsinks on my K2.
For the K1 i had a LOT of problems building a viable setup. Nothing is going to compete with the k3, so i finally ended up going to the dark side. 2x A-LRM15, UAC20, 5ML (torso and one arm).
Its actually reasonable right now. With so many assaults with no ECM and few AMS you get a lot of full volley hits. Its not great, but i managed a 900 damage game last night.

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:17 AM

4UAC5 is an IS assault design (Mauler, King Crab), instead you should try going for something the IS can't do, like 4 UAC10 (at least until the Annihilator shows up), or combined with good clan weapons like LPL, ASRM6's etc.

#7 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I do not do relay fascination. That baton is mine.

#8 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:50 PM

So after trying most of your builds (thank you guys) I went back and played a Blackjack and at once had so much fun and success I could not believe it.
OK, its a totaly different class but now I definitely know the Kodiak is not my mech.
K1 has the agility of a dead whale, K2 has strange hardpoints, K3 is good dakka but I have this better with many other mechs and the only one that realy would interrest me (Spirit Bear) is only for cash.
So they will gather dust after eliteing
Thank you and have fun.

#9 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

K1 - 2 large pulse, 6 medium pulse XL 400, play hit and run wub brawler with almost 400m nominal range on the medium pulse and 690m on the larges, so keep out of srm distance and play smart. and when the occasion calls for it give enemies a 74 wub of doom with no ghost heat to put em down and out of the fight.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2de51b5276c4eff

K2 - either 4 ERPPC's or 4 Large Pulse lasers all in the arms max JJ and an XL 375, with erppcs you can snipe (i recommend 2 weapons groups on left/right click with chain fire on both), if your not used to ppcs they take time to get good with but are really deadly once you become proficient with them. if you don't really like them go with 4X large pulse you can wub away just alternate 2 at a time and keep at least 400m away from enemies at all times moving in/out of cover so they cant brawl you or pin you down.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c30dda8028edfa

i can tell you from spending time with HGN-IIC's and the Kodiaks that when your dealing with Clan battlemechs that are heavily weighted towards energy weapons you should almost always ditch all cannons and missiles and concentrate on pumping as many dhs as you can into them, even to the point of dropping endo and ferro for more DHS.

always use every single crit space in a clan battlemech (because you can tune engine size), you should only ever have maybe 1 empty crit or empty crits in a dead (shield) arm, but that should be filled with endo/ferro if you have one anyway.

you try and throw in even one gauss or an AC or two and it seems like a good idea but it takes up valuable space for DHS and tonnage for a bigger engine for more DHS then all of the sudden you notice you can barely shoot your energy weapons even once, takes forever to cool off and you end up getting cored after just one shot while trying to duck for cover to cool off.

its very important to resist the urge to simply load the big clan battlemechs and fill every hard point, it often leaves you over gunned and unable to keep putting firepower down range, which gets you killed really fast.

Edited by Col Jaime Wolf, 21 May 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#10 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostCol Jaime Wolf, on 21 May 2016 - 12:26 AM, said:

K1 - 2 large pulse, 6 medium pulse XL 400, play hit and run wub brawler with almost 400m nominal range on the medium pulse and 690m on the larges, so keep out of srm distance and play smart. and when the occasion calls for it give enemies a 74 wub of doom with no ghost heat to put em down and out of the fight.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2de51b5276c4eff

K2 - either 4 ERPPC's or 4 Large Pulse lasers all in the arms max JJ and an XL 375, with erppcs you can snipe (i recommend 2 weapons groups on left/right click with chain fire on both), if your not used to ppcs they take time to get good with but are really deadly once you become proficient with them. if you don't really like them go with 4X large pulse you can wub away just alternate 2 at a time and keep at least 400m away from enemies at all times moving in/out of cover so they cant brawl you or pin you down.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c30dda8028edfa

i can tell you from spending time with HGN-IIC's and the Kodiaks that when your dealing with Clan battlemechs that are heavily weighted towards energy weapons you should almost always ditch all cannons and missiles and concentrate on pumping as many dhs as you can into them, even to the point of dropping endo and ferro for more DHS.

always use every single crit space in a clan battlemech (because you can tune engine size), you should only ever have maybe 1 empty crit or empty crits in a dead (shield) arm, but that should be filled with endo/ferro if you have one anyway.

you try and throw in even one gauss or an AC or two and it seems like a good idea but it takes up valuable space for DHS and tonnage for a bigger engine for more DHS then all of the sudden you notice you can barely shoot your energy weapons even once, takes forever to cool off and you end up getting cored after just one shot while trying to duck for cover to cool off.

its very important to resist the urge to simply load the big clan battlemechs and fill every hard point, it often leaves you over gunned and unable to keep putting firepower down range, which gets you killed really fast.

Normally I am not a laser fan nor PPC, more a ballistic guy but it seems to be the only approach to a funny liason with my bears.
I give it a try and tell you how it worked for me.
Thanks for your time and recommendations.

#11 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Kodiak as a laser vomit is definitley better.
K1: 2LPL, 6 MPL, XL400
K2: 4 LPL, 1 LRM10 or Steak 6, XL375
Skipping the ballistic was a good hint.

Thanks a lot.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

View PostMumuharra, on 20 May 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

Is it just me or is it just not my mech?
I realy fail to have fun or being successfull in my Kodiaks 1-3.

The only partialy good one is K3 with 4 UAC5 and 4 MPL.

K1 and K2, hmmm I realy dont konw how to play it.
K1: 1 UAC20, 6 MPL, 2 LRMA 10, 375 XL
K2: 1 UAC20, 3 LPL, 1 LRMA 10

Sorry for the LRM but I need them in this mech.
SRMA 6 dont work for me in the Kodiaks.

Any tips for different configs or is it just "**** happens" for me?
It looks like this mech will dust in hanger after mastering.

Thanks and have fun,

Markus

loving my KDK4.....
400xl, 2xUAC10, 4x ERSLs in the Arms, 2x SSRM6.

Not meta, just fun.
Spirit Bear is a fun Splat Mech, again, 400xl, MASC, UAC20, SRM22, 2x FLamers.

And my 3 is 2x UAC10, 1x UAC20, 4xERSL. Personally, it's the first Assault I've enjoyed in a very long time. relatively agile, Dakka based, but fragile. Can't just facetank like an Atlas, or mindlessly laservomit. Takes skill to do real well consistently (unless farming panicking bads), but has few truly bad games unless you just position badly.

VomitBear? If I was going to run "Ican'taim" mechs, I wouldn't have wasted my time with the KDK.

#13 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

For me,

KDK-3, Spirit Bear, and KDK-4 in that order.

KDK-4 has 2xUAC5, 2xSRM-4, 2x erLL, 2xerML.

The large lasers might seem like a strange pick, but I'm mirroring my AS7-D, since it has the same number of hardpoints, and it has been working fine.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

View PostMoldur, on 21 May 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

For me,

KDK-3, Spirit Bear, and KDK-4 in that order.

KDK-4 has 2xUAC5, 2xSRM-4, 2x erLL, 2xerML.

The large lasers might seem like a strange pick, but I'm mirroring my AS7-D, since it has the same number of hardpoints, and it has been working fine.

I tired something similar with LPL, but had to give up too much. Also, realyl hate C-ERLL burn duration. So decided the "Stinkfist" protocol was in order for the 4. Amazing how them LCTs and Jennys back off at the hint of SSRMs.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users