- - - - -

Shadows Flickering.

Help Me

14 replies to this topic

#1 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hi, I just installed this game and i just noticed some shadows behaving oddly. They seem to flicker around and look a bit pixelated. Im running the game at high settings and Dx9 with no anti aliasing in any case.

https://youtu.be/nERMFjs9EZs

Really not sure if this has something to do with my graphics card or if it is a common issue.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i cant seem to be able to post in any other forum.

#2 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

MWO has some glitches here and there...probably that is 1 of them....

#3 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

As long as your card is new enough to support it, run it as DirectX 11 instead of 9. That might help too.

#4 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

I will try to use dx11, i thought dx9 would yield better framerate.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

What are the shadows set to in the options?

#6 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

They are set to high

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

perhaps try setting shadows to low and see if that makes a difference, if it does try the other settings until they start misbehaving again.

#8 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 04 May 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

perhaps try setting shadows to low and see if that makes a difference, if it does try the other settings until they start misbehaving again.

Low will turn shadows off, medium will give basic shadows but less of them in less detail. Honestly Shadows is one thing I usually only bother with at medium, even though my main gaming rig can do more FPS than my monitor can handle even with everything turned all the way up most of the time.

Certain settings just give very little difference between medium/high/very high except for putting more resource draw on your box. Shadows is one of those.

Edited by LadyDanams, 04 May 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#9 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

I tried reproducing the glitch but to no avail, cant find that exact same spot with it, and i cant see any other shadows behaving in the same fashion. I wonder if actually setting the shadows to very high would fix them. Could also have something to do with the low game resolution im running it at, really need to change this monitor.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostSteelfalke, on 04 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

I tried reproducing the glitch but to no avail, cant find that exact same spot with it, and i cant see any other shadows behaving in the same fashion. I wonder if actually setting the shadows to very high would fix them. Could also have something to do with the low game resolution im running it at, really need to change this monitor.

It should. Side note, a large amount of the shadows on non-dynamic time of day maps are 'baked in' meaning they aren't affected by shadow settings. You're probably looking at one of the few that aren't. Perhaps see if you can spot the glitch on a map with a dynamic time of day such as Forest colony or River city.

It is good that you found such a shadow though. If you hit F9 it will bring up coordinate information for troubleshooting/glitchfinding and will be on the screenshot when you take it.

Also on that map (Crimson Strait), find the tunnel and follow it so that it makes a -( shape with up being forward. As you come out of the tunnel, follow the tracks and watch your left. You will find the spot you took a picture of.

#11 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Alright, i could find it now. Also this wasnt in Crimson Strait, this happened in River City. Also found a similar glitch a few meters to the left. This is how it looked on a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/6wSZtDj.jpg.

Also at some point a real shadow showed up and covered it.

I tried all this in DX11 this time, even turned everything from high to Very High, with every single AA except for MSAA and TXAA because they asked me to restart.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

Interesting. Also sadly PGI does reuse structures quite a bit and it looked like an area on Crimson Strait.

#13 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostLadyDanams, on 04 May 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

As long as your card is new enough to support it, run it as DirectX 11 instead of 9. That might help too.

Agreed. It may also help a bit with the FPS switching to DX 11. In my experience I thought it was because I didnt have enough GHZ on my laptop. So I switched from DX 9 to 11 and upped my shadows to medium. after doing this. If you can run DX 11, stick with it.

#14 Dfeeds

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

I think it's an aliasing issue. FXAA can cause a lot of flickering, in my experience. I notice the flickering all the time with everything set to very high and dx11, except AA which is at FXAA. I didn't pay attention to the flickering but I did notice a nice performance hit when switching to MSAA. It's sad, really... My rig can handle Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p with a solid 60 fps but MWO will still buck under certain circumstances. Optimization at its finest.

Anyways, try different AA settings. If that doesn't fix it, and you have nvidia, try forcing your LOD bias to "clamp" in the control panel.

#15 Steelfalke

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

So i found similar cases of this flicker today while tweaking around the graphics settings. https://youtu.be/O_XCfZrIFxw , the building in front has certain parts flicker, also the lightning on the trees below flicker as well. And far on the mountains it can also be seen something similar, hard to see since the quality in the video is pretty bad (had it set to Ultrafast in OBS, my bad).

Edit: just decided to look up several videos on River City, and seems these glitches are pretty common, at least on this map

Edited by Steelfalke, 20 May 2016 - 03:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users