Help! Bought Dwf-W. Getting Destroyed!

19 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

I recently made enough c-bills to purchase a Direwolf. I changed up the default loadout only slightly. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...19cc7ac93209463
Basically I dumped the small and large laser in favor of 2 medium pulse lasers, then added another 1/2 ton of uac20 ammo. I am now doing FAR worse in this thing than I do in my Timberwolf. I try to make sure I keep up with the group. Stay behind cover and use up the missile ammo. Occasionally take shots with the gauss when enemies break cover. Then move in for a laser/uac kill when they close to within 500m. Yet for some reason this mech keeps getting cored as soon as I try to move in. Sometimes the UAC gets blown up before anything has gotten within range of it.
Looking for help from the expert Direwolf pilots here. What am I doing wrong?? How should I change up the build to improve things??

-Thanks!

Edited by Ryan256, 24 May 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Before I start with my assessment, I want to ask you a few things:

Do you mind having multiple weapon types? If so, can you handle this multi-role mech?

Do you like boating? If so, what do you like to boat? As the Dire is best at boating considering the Hardpoints, tonnage.

Are you willing to change Omnipods for better hardpoints?

Okay....

I recommend you drop the LRM 20, as in a Dire, YOU, are the pinnacle of Firepower, YOU, can ultimately decide a battle with your firepower, YOU, can decimate enemies with a few well-placed shots.

The build is everywhere, if anything, if you like Dakka, I recommend you switch to a 6X UAC/5 or a 4X UAC/10 build, which involves changing up the omnipods a bit If you like lasers, You can do 2 LPL 5 Medium with some UACs or Gauss Rifles.

It's hard to work with the Dire Wolf W, but if you like long range weaponry, this is the one I came up with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...60860553f930b2c

If anything though, IF you're willing to change your omnipods for other ones, I suggest you do so, as it opens much,much, much more opportunity for more builds.

#3 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Oh yes I am definitely willing to change omnipods. That's the whole reason I went with a Direwolf rather than a Atlas or King Crab. The mech I've been doing very well and having alot of fun with is, funny enough, a Timberwolf ER PPC boat!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5740128f150c069
I was originally using medium lasers but decided to switch to small lasers and more heat sinks. This one also switches out the left shoulder for the A omnipod.
I had considered a 4 uac10 build before. Something like this maybe??
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f13921a555dda31
I'm not too sure about the lack of long range weaponry though.

#4 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

I am that guy who like overlapping firepower, and ran my direwolf with this loadout.
DWF-W

Dual cUAC10 with 7 ton ammo.
These are you main guns, engage them when you have reach 500m.
The ammo should last you 3 or 4 engagements before running low/dry.

Triple erML on your CT and Head.
These are you backup weapon when the cUAC jammed or when you want to conserve ammo.

A LRM10 rack with 1.5 ton of ammo, good for 27 shots.
This allow you to engage early in the match, even before arriving at the front line, and also for raining on survivors in late game for assist cbills bonus.

A single erPPC for direct fire at range and taking down pesky UAV.
Feel free to swap out for a Large Pulse for slightly better heat and brawling.
Else the erPPC should be off limit in a brawl or reserved for kill shot.

What make this build shine for me is the Targeting Computer Mark IV.
The TC boost the velocity of AC rounds and erPPC shot, making it easier to nail a single component. At Mark IV, the 20% speed boost is very noticeable.
52% faster targeting time also let you know where to place your shot to deal the most hurt on a target.
While the increase to energy range and critical chance, is nice but not a game changer.
The TC is placed in the left torso, because the right torso tend to get remove by enemy fire first. Even with a missing right torso, your erML and remaining cUAC10 can still benefit.

You should stay at 400m to 500m from your target, this is your sweet spot where all your weapon can deal full damage.
Too close and you risk having your enemy exploiting your slow turning speed, not to mention opening yourself to SRMs retaliation.

Edited by xengk, 24 May 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#5 Aethermech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

This is the last serious build i did on my dire before chasing the rabbit down the hole for the joke builds.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4dd56e687f1500
The alpha is low but the dps is consistant and you can double tap the UAC's to get a storm of potato AC shells flying. The laser's are less a secondary/back-up weapon and are more a complimenting fire storm. BTW i set my lasers up like this because i like the view of it from inside the cockpit, might as well enjoy the aestitics if you can Posted Image

P.S. these ominpod swap outs give you probably the greatest varity of hardpoints to pick from for future builds, only down side ( not really a down side to me personally ) is losing the 2 slots and the tonnage from the JJ but they do cushion your fall when you have to chase something over a cliff.

Edited by Aethermech, 24 May 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#6 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

I prefer not to mix AC/20 and Gauss like the stock build does, and ended up switching to dual gauss because it's much less of a pain to control. UAC/20 has low velocity, multiple projectiles, Gauss has high velocity single projectile, and I don't have a gaming mouse make enough groups as I would wish to. Posted Image

If you prefer dakka over gauss, you can still run 5UAC/5 with 3 or 4 medium lasers, 4UAC/10 with LPL or ML, 3UAC5 2UAC10 and a host of other GREAT combinations like on any other DWF. The DWF is a mechlab warrior's wet dream. So many configurations, so many weapons, and enough tonnage to mount them all! Posted Image

You can even get the A left torso and run a mixed build with 2LRM10s thrown in for good measure on a predominantly mid/CQ build so that you have some range on it.

The metamechs build (left sided 2xGR, 2xLPL, 3xERML) is a real monster if you want to go that route. You can run it right sided OR left, just need to swap around the S torso omnipod as you want.

The thing with the DWF, is that you need absolutely great positioning, people shouldn't be expecting you there. Keep moving, staying in the same place attracts enemies to you like maggots to meat. The DWF is not a frontline mech. You should be focused on staying behind another mech, getting yourself enough space, and trading. Posted Image

You're trading 1v1? You're winning EVERY SINGLE TIME with a good build. Keep running the Dire, you'll get a feel for when you can and can not peek out. Hillhumping is a no-no unless you've got LOTS of range. Make people come to you, pump their faces full of lead. They should be the ones rounding a corner and running into you, not the other way around. Posted Image

Edit: Xengk is absolutely right: The 400-500 m mid range is the sweet spot for DWFs. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Keshav Murali, 25 May 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#7 Interstellar Overdrive

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

In general, the simpler the better. The 3xUAC 10 and 2xUAC 5 build is pretty devastating, as is the Gauss and laser build.

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

One other thing to remember, try to travel in areas to prevent being spotted. So many people specifically target Direwhales. Notice the wording I am using. It is a sport for locust and now jenner IIc pilots to kill Direwolves referred to as calling them direwhales. Use the IV lines (intervisability lines) or the crest of a rise to move behind. The less that they can see you the more likely a push will come to you.

Me I have not run direwolves that much but each time I use concealed movement to be that surprise direwolf tearing into the other team. So much depends on the other team just not seeing you in a direwolf till the time is right. Then when you do engage, don't run. You will never get away fast enough.

#9 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 26 May 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

One other thing to remember, try to travel in areas to prevent being spotted. So many people specifically target Direwhales. Notice the wording I am using. It is a sport for locust and now jenner IIc pilots to kill Direwolves referred to as calling them direwhales. Use the IV lines (intervisability lines) or the crest of a rise to move behind. The less that they can see you the more likely a push will come to you.

Me I have not run direwolves that much but each time I use concealed movement to be that surprise direwolf tearing into the other team. So much depends on the other team just not seeing you in a direwolf till the time is right. Then when you do engage, don't run. You will never get away fast enough.

^This.

Not only are they a Priority 1 Target alongside the Atlas, but they are magnets to any Light that moves over 130kph (and even the slower ones--I just saw a Whale get harpooned by an SRM Adder last night, while I was myself closing in on it with my SDR-5K).

Positioning is everything in the Whale.

#10 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

OP - if you're willing to switch out pods and aren't married to an all-over-the-place build, try 2 UAC10s, 2 UAC5s, and a couple of medium lasers. You should be able to run somewhat cool and most things that try to engage you at close to medium range will probably regret it.

If you're in the market for long range, try: 2 gauss, 2 LPL (or ERLL, depending on your range and heat preferences) and LRM20. This should leave you with ample room for ammo and a couple more heatsinks.

BTW - I always build with a target computer mk1 in mind, too, so if you don't want the bonuses from that then it just gives you another open slot and 1 ton to fill with something else.

#11 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

#12 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 26 May 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hmm.... may have to give the DakkaWolf a try.

#13 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

Ok.... so I took the advice of some of the people here and changed up my mech to produce my new DakkaWolf!
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9d4773b68170a73

I know.. probably not the best build out but it's all I had the c-bills for.
I'm doing much better with this mech. Most other mechs don't last long in front of this thing and start retreating as soon as the first volley of UAC fire hits. I have to admit I am missing having long range capability. I may change out the right arm for the Prime variant so I can stack in a few more pulse lasers. Any other suggestions for improvement?

#14 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

In general, I would not mix C-UAC/5 with MPL, since they have different range profiles, but if it's working for you, then I have no reason to comment. Posted Image

You need to maintain a decent heat efficiency, so I would say if you do get the PRIME arm, switch it all out for medium lasers ( maybe 6) and then pile on the heatsinks.

Congratulations! You have discovered the joys of Dakka whales. Have fun spamming the mouse buttons! Posted Image

Edited by Keshav Murali, 27 May 2016 - 05:47 AM.

#15 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 27 May 2016 - 05:47 AM, said:

In general, I would not mix C-UAC/5 with MPL, since they have different range profiles, but if it's working for you, then I have no reason to comment. Posted Image

You need to maintain a decent heat efficiency, so I would say if you do get the PRIME arm, switch it all out for medium lasers ( maybe 6) and then pile on the heatsinks.

Congratulations! You have discovered the joys of Dakka whales. Have fun spamming the mouse buttons! Posted Image

Yeah... I was considering dumping the MPLs and going with regular medium lasers for the weight difference. I did go ahead and get the PRIME arm and now here is what I'm rocking.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8cd69ce9d03f27a

Gotta say I very much like this mech.

#16 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

I am going to assume you are not rolling in the CBills and can't afford to change out any of the omnipods since you did not do so in your original build. Based on that assumption I will give you a few builds to try that should be easier to mange fire groups and heat.

I never like to have more than 3 types of weapons or more than 2 range groups. The reason is I can't use more than 3 weapon groups efficiently. Also I like to be able to manage heat in how I fire.

DFW-W Long Range Build: Put 2ERLL in WG1, 2ERLL in WG2, and 2Guass in WG3. If it is too hot loose one of the ERLL and add 4 more DHS.
DFW-W: Short-Mid Range Build: For this one I put the 2LPLs in WG 3 (you can fire these alone for pretty much zero heat), and I group fire the UAC20's in WG 1 and chain fire them in WG2. WG2 is used most of the time.
DFW-W Mixed Range Build: For this one I put the 2ERPPCs in WG2, the MPL in WG2, and the UAC10s in WP3

All of those builds are very heat efficient and should be easy to manage fire.

I hope they help you, if not I am sure someone else has better builds, or you may have to swap out some omnipods. For example here is a DFW-W build that puts the Dual Guass in the Arms where they are less of an issue if they get destroyed. Then there is the Quad Guass build, if you are good with them? Assuming so since they were in your original build. It is a bit of a one trick pony, but a deadly one at range until you run out of ammo. Yes that is a bit of joke, but it can work. Don't forget the crazy Dakka builds one of which is the 5UAC5 murdering whale.

I could go on, but I'll leave it here as I have already speculated way to much. LOL

#17 Hat Trick

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 15 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationsmelly pit of poverty

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

Personally I prefer either Dakka Wolf or Gauss Lrg pulse and Meds or Gauss ER PPC i constantly rack up 500 to 1000 dmg every match w/ these builds

#18 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Was messing around and made this. Use LLas to hill hump, MPL for close range and the UAC5s for whatever or something IDK.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b473b68fd8e8f9

No LLas, 4 UAC5s and a commitment to not buying too many unnecessary pods.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3127139e81c31de

Edited by Raso, 15 June 2016 - 09:53 AM.

#19 A_Velociraptor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

Um how about the ultimate brawling mech dual UAC/20 and a shitload of pulse lasers.http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=303&l=99a3d59a20378eb8c7207b9017d07f8ee6b70bbb

#20 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

1) The DWF is a crap brawler, because it cannot maneuver up close.

2) C-UAC20s are not the greatest weapons (I use them, but IS AC20 is superior in most cases) and two of them have ridiculous ghost heat. You cannot fire them together at all.

3) You're not even good for ONE alpha strike with that loadout. Brawlers need to be able to put out alpha after alpha and still out DPS laser boats at close. Overheating in a brawl is a guaranteed death sentence.

4) Your assault competitors in the brawling department - Atlas, KDK-SB, Highlander etc are all capable of getting upto 60 points alpha strike with 40% cooling efficiency or more, and will absolutely wreck you.

Heck, the AWS-8R with 4SRM6+LPL+2SPL runs a 70.6 alpha strike at 38% heat efficiency, and will have no issues with this dire. The gargoyle with 10 SPL will **** all over it. The WHK with a classic B/M build will be getting 22 max DPS at 40% heat efficiency.

Do yourself a favour, get UAC5/10 or gauss rifles, stay at 500 m, and feel like Zeus hurling his lightning bolt. The Dire is a GOD at mid-long range.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 25 July 2016 - 03:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users